WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST

Options
1192021222325»

Replies

• mookiemoomoo
    mookiemoomoo Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    hi ladies just a quick post not caught up yet with all posts . i am going for a SWIM TOMMORW posting it on here to make it official s'o i will have to do it lol , hoping to do 1 hr swim will let you know if i managed it , x
  • mimi7grands
    Options
    Yesterday ended up being a not-so-good food day. :frown: I didn’t even complete my log for the day, I was so annoyed. The day got chopped into bits and pieces with babysitting, which started before breakfast. Not being at my own house didn't work very well for me. It was stinking hot and I was so blah by the evening that I decided to just go to bed. :yawn: Thank goodness today’s a new day. I had breakfast at home. Worked much better. I babysat for just a few hours and now I’m doing my own thing. :bigsmile:

To add insult to injury (I felt very injured by the end of the day! :noway: ), I had some hummus with veggies as part of my dinner. Trader Joe’s hummus, as long as I’ve been eating it, has had 40 calories for 2 tablespoons. I thought this was great because most have 70-80 calories. Either they’ve changed or they made a mistake on the old packaging. Now it shows 80 calories for 2 tablespoons. :grumble: Maybe they made a mistake on the NEW packaging. :tongue:

Birdie, I’m always over on sugar too, mostly due to fruit. I've cut out or cut down on the refined sugars I eat. I use a little stevia and some vanilla in my yogurt. It’s delish over fresh fruit. I don’t usually eat cereal but maybe you could try plain Cheerios with a little stevia or Splenda. Or, as Kackie says, switch to oatmeal or something similar. Except for the occasional treat, and a little chocolate occasionally, I’ve cut out the other sugary things.

10lbs, you’ve come to a great place and a wonderful bunch of women. I’ve learned lots about losing weight and am still learning. Welcome to you and everyone new here.

Connie, You've done an amazing job with exercise. I'll bet you've gotten smaller and firmer even though your weight has stayed the same. Whoa, girl, you should be shouting from the rooftops! :happy:

Time to get on with my “better day.” My warmest wishes for a good day (or evening) for all of you. :heart:
  • Angusowner
    Options
    Well, the first day of in-services is over.:yawn: The only positive is that My DGD Claire is still here, so I got to come home to her.:happy: Our rooms are not air conditioned, so, even thought it was only in the 80s here today, the humidity was up & I came home worn out. I am still determined to exercise tonight after DGD is in bed, though!

HELP!!! Week 3 of no weight loss.:frown: No gain, though. I think it may be because of either no strength training or eating under 1200 cal. for so long (1000 seems to be the norm). Do you experienced "losers" (I mean in the best possible way :happy: ) have some suggestions for me? Also - what role does sleep have in this equation? I have very erratic sleep patterns during the school year. I usually get a good 3-4 hours of solid sleep, then maybe another couple of restless hours.:yawn: During June & July - my best "losing months", I was getting 7-8 good hours of sleep. I was thinking that maybe that was related.

Some comments:
    Jeannie: I am really interested in DASH & how people use it, & have been checking it out on line. Barbie is right - I would really be interested in how you use it. Telling your story is so helpful!:smile:

Amanda: What an adorable story of how Mia came to be called Mia!:flowerforyou:

Kackie: I also had trouble with the web site. Recording food was awful - long, then sometimes would time out. It is working fine for me today, however.:ohwell:

Jackie: You have a writing gift - I laugh (or rather LOL) everytime I read your posts!:laugh:

Welcome everyone!!

Off to get Claire ready for bed - then a date with Leslie Sansone!
    Take Care,
    Bec
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,389 Member
    Options
    Bec - This is just me, but I'm very hesitant of ordering something online UNLESS I've tried it on in the store and just want a different color. To me, the fit sometimes isn't the way I would want it and I really don't want to have to go thru the hassle of returning something. What is the Y thinking about the alcohol? They're thinking dollars, that's what. But they're not thinking of the dollars that could potentially be lost. Just thinking of the here and now, not down the road. Boy, I am sooo against this, and at the next board meeting I fully intend to make my feelings known.

barbiecat - I was the same way, bread and butter. If I let myself, I could really fall back into that habit. Same as you, now that I have been avoiding it, I actually in many ways prefer NOT to have bread, or else only whole grain.

Debbie - greek yogurt is quite thick - about the consistency of sour cream. If I were you, not ever having had it, don't start out having the plain. Have the flavored. I'm trying to remember who it is who has lower calories in their strawberry. Personally, I don't really go for the Fage brand, yet lots of people really like it. It IS high in protein, tho. Can't remember who had the lower calories, I'm thinking Chobani, but I'm not positive. The plain tastes a bit on the sour side, that's why I say if you've never had it, don't start out with the plain. I don't know of any that are already mixed, usually the fruit is on the bottom. The only one that is mixed is usually the vanilla flavor, and to me, that isn't a deep vanilla flavor. Oops...I see Cindy answered you before I got to it. I used to always put a bit of honey in my yogurt, but lately I don't seem to mind the plain at all. It does have less liquid, more concentrated so that's probably why the protein is so high.

Jeannie - those aren't spinning videos, they are downloadable workouts that you can put on your iPod so you can take them to the Y with you.

welcome same10lbs! You've found a great group. Welcome also Shirley61. A bad thunderstorm is coming up so I want to try to get thru the posts asap, but I'm sure some of the wonderful ladies on this forum will help you. Same to you Roberta, welcome!

Laura - I've made pumpkin/spice muffins, just spice cake mix and canned pumpkin. It's really quite good. Have you ever tried using pumpkin in brownie mix? Just the brownie mix and a can of pumpkin -- nothing else. They come out quite moist. Congrats on the smaller size clothes fitting!

mimi - don't you just HATE it when mfrs change their formulation? I always used to buy the Activia Light yogurt, it was the only one sweetened with sucralose. Just the other day I bought some and now it's sweetened with aspertame and acesulfane potassium (I know that I misspelled that -- the one that is very poorly rated), so I had to take it back. What a pain in the you-know-what.

Did 1 hr deep water workout today (Wed). Tomorrow I'll take a core class (it used to be pilates, don't know how its different or what) then I'm thinking that I'll use the Stairmaster. Gotta go and get ready for tomorrow.

Have a great evening everyone!

Michele
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Hello all,

Here is my two cents worth on Greek yogurt. You can buy the plain, and if you want to make it a little tastier, put an envelope of Stevia sweetener ( I use the Truvia brand) in it. This saves you getting yogurt with a higher sugar content due to honey or other flavoring being present. I have been buying the Yoplait 2X Greek yogurt. It is available in the Kroger-owned store in my area. At times I have found it at Grocery Outlet, as well.

Shirley61,

I recognized your avatar, so I figured I had seen you post somewhere before, and sure enough, it was on this thread on August 12th, so you are already a "member." If you go to the my topics link under the community tab, it will show the last 25 threads you have posted in, along with the most recent activity on that thread. Perhaps this will help you better keep track of where you have been. BTW, what kind of a sailboat is pictured in your avatar?
    I did the grocery shopping for my mom today, and managed to ignore all the temptations therein, except for a little deli sample of a bagel crisp with a smear of cheese on it.

Donna,
    I know you are running around madly, but if you are reading posts, just want you to know I am thinking of you. Hope all the wedding plans are coming together smoothly.:flowerforyou:

I have to run some errands for myself tonight, so gotta go.

Barb
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    HELP!!! Week 3 of no weight loss.:frown: No gain, though. I think it may be because of either no strength training or eating under 1200 cal. for so long (1000 seems to be the norm). Do you experienced "losers" (I mean in the best possible way :happy: ) have some suggestions for me? Also - what role does sleep have in this equation? I have very erratic sleep patterns during the school year. I usually get a good 3-4 hours of solid sleep, then maybe another couple of restless hours.:yawn: During June & July - my best "losing months", I was getting 7-8 good hours of sleep. I was thinking that maybe that was related.

Bec

Before I read the rest of the posts I wanted to react to Bec.

:flowerforyou: Bec. I identify with the sleep issues. erratic sleep patterns is a big indicator of erratic weight loss/gain and health in general. the more lack of sleep the more likely you are to overeat (or under-eat for those affected that way) and the worse you fare in the decision making department.

Make sufficient sleep a priority. I have and it makes a difference.

Love ya,
    :heart: :heart: Rebel:heart::heart:
  • annitin
    annitin Posts: 14
    Options
    Michele - I didn't see my son today, but I will ask him about that tomorrow.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,389 Member
    Options
    I just remembered! The Oikos brand of greek yogurt was the lowest in sugars that I could find.

Michele
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Peggy, I loved all your pointers for good eating habits. I definitely picked up some bad habits along the way of life that could be improved on immensely. The good thing about my current state is that I am taking personal responsibility. There is no one who forces me to make bad choices. No one who shovels the food in my mouth but me, no one who pedals on that bike but me. I am the NEW me who can say yes or no. No more excuses for being blunt, brutally honest and facing reality. Frankly, we're all at an age where we should no longer kid ourselves.

:wink: Drinking water WITH food....NO not a good idea. I think several have already commented on this part. It slushes down the food, where in fact it should be chewed slowly. I had a neighbor who had stomach and intestinal problems. One of the pieces of advice she was given by doctors and nutritionists etc. was to eat slowly, not drink with your meals and put down your fork in between bites. Though I heard that advice many many years ago, I still remember it to this day.

:heart: :heart: Rebel :heart: :heart:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,979 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: read all the posts but won't be responding to much except that I'd love a NW MFP gathering in Seattle

:flowerforyou: busy day----line dance, long with a friend, signed our new wills, put the wills in the safe deposit box, started gathering stuff to be packed for our trip.

:flowerforyou: I want to share another roasted veggie story......my friend that I walk with on Wednesdays (she's my age) is in a fairly new relationship that now includes selling her house, buying a house with her new partner, adjusting their collective grown daughters to the new relationship, and moving from the Olympic Peninsula to north of Seattle.....she has let her former weight loss program fall by the wayside with all these new life experiences......so today she was talking about potlucks she has to go to and what to bring and how she wants to get back to her good eating and stop blaming people,places, and things for her weight gain........after talking to me, she now has become a roasted veggie fan and is planning to make roasted veggie her contribution to future potlucks she knows that there will always be something healthy that she can eat. :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

:grumble: :grumble: :grumble: :grumble: :grumble: :grumble: tonight is my phone call with my 87 year old cousin who complains about everything, talks about herself a lot, and tells the same stories almost every week......I'd rather be talking to all of you.
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • weaklink109
    Options
    I went out tonight to do "research" at The Dress Barn and Kohls, which are in the same shopping area. I haven't decided if I am going to have an existing dress altered, or buy a new one for the wedding I have to go to, so I thought it might be helpful to try some things on. I found I can fit in a 14 or 16 misses size, depending on the style, and that the dress buyer at Kohls must think everyone who shops there is pregnant or wants to look like it--nothing but empire-style, which I think look dreadful. The ones at dress barn were a bit more stylish, but to me it seemed the length was wrong for me, just below the knee, but high enough that it ran across the widest part of my calf, and was, to my eye, not at all flattering.

Fortunately, I still have some time to decide. Next stop is JC Penney.

Another nice side effect of my shopping excursion was that I seem to have kept the carb monster out of my house. I think it has something to do with my not having sugarless syrup in my decaf for the last two days, haven't had cravings like before.

Barbie, have fun getting packed.

I am too tired to say much more, hoping to turn in early tonight before I get my second wind.

Barb
  • weaklink109
    Options
    *****&&&&& IMPORTANT NOTICE &&&&& We are almost to 500 posts on this thread (this one being 493) &&&****

For those of you who are new to the thread, when a thread reaches 500 posts, it automatically creates a "part 2" thread with the same name, and the last post of this thread will contain a link that you can click to take you to the new thread.

By tomorrow morning, we will be at 500, so if you think everyone has "disappeared" because there are no new posts on this--the original thread for August, 2010, just pull up the post anyway, go to the last message posted, and click on that link to reach part 2. Once you have posted on part 2, it will appear in your my topics just like this one does now.

While we are on the subject of "disappearing threads"--another point to remember is that a new thread is started for each month-- usually late in the evening on the last day of the old month. Barbie, or someone else if she is not available, will start the new thread, and then post the page address at the end of the part 2 thread for the prior month, so we can all find the new one.

If all else fails, this thread is always located under Motivation and Support, and we post often enough that if you start scrolling through threads for that forum, we shouldn't be too hard to find.

(Barbiecat, I posted the above because it didn't sound to me from your post that you were going to be back tonight, and by tomorrow, it will be too late)

Barb
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :smile: Hi everyone

Just a quickie as I am back at work today :frown:

This is post 494 so look out for the new thread everyone. :smile:

Rebel wanted to say thanks for the pep talk you gave yourself. I agree and same here, nobody forces me to eat food I know is bad for me, I choose to do it. So a new me starting today! I will say NO to all the chocs and biscuits at work today and will stick to snacking on fruit.

Also I WILL exercise for at least 10 mins every day. Today is Day 2 and did 15 mins.

Will have to dash have a good Thursday everyone :drinker:
  • chicletgirl
    Options
    Hi everyone,

It's been hot and humid here in California this week. Today was really bad and the heat makes me not want to cook. I had humus and veggies for lunch and some grapes. Mimi I tried the roasted pepper flavor...yummy. I was looking at the calories and mine says 40 for 2 tbsp. It's called Tribe. I experimented with making a scallop scampi tonight. Didn't make a creamy sauce used chicken broth instead and a little flour to thicken it. Lots of fresh garlic too. I put asparagus, green onions, fresh tomatoes, red and yellow peppers, and lemon juice and its zest and of course scallops. It was very good. Served it over some wheat pasta.

Boo refused to eat this morning and when I started to make my scallops this evening, she wanted to eat. As I was getting her dinner ready she got sick. She does this everytime she doesn't eat her food!:grumble: Not because she is trying to get attention, just because she has nothig on her stomach and when she anticipates finally eating she gets a nervous stomach and I get to clean up yellow bile. I put a turkey slice in her dog food and she ate that tonight but left the dog food, again. This time I knew she was just being a brat. Then she started barking at me, so I asked her what she wanted and she looks at the server in the kitchen that I have her treats on. So I told her no bone, not until you eat your dinner! :noway: This barking and arguing went on for 2 hours, but I stayed strong and didn't give in. FINALLY she eats her food at 8 pm. and I told her she was a good dog for eating her dinner and gave her a bone. I know this sounds crazy and you probably don't believe me when I say we were arguing back and forth, or that she understands me, but she really does!! She actually has a pretty extensive understanding of a lot of phrases and her barking at me either means she wants something or wants to play. The fact that she looked up at the server where the treats were told me exactly what she wanted.:frown: The trials of living with a spoiled dog......Yes I know I spoiled her. :embarassed:

Chiclet
  • mynyddisamrs
    Options
    :flowerforyou: A very quick nip in to beat the fabulous 500!! and before I go off to have a "healthy" lunch. I will ...honest!
    Scales were up a lb this morning but at least I did see me in the 150's once in .....years!!!

Didn't know what to wear today as most of my "going out" gear is earmarked for the case! I am however wearing a pair of black trousers from years ago ...they've been lurking in the maybe I'll get back into them" drawer.....:bigsmile: it sure make you feel goo doesn't it!!

So ...BFN
    see you later in another thread!!!
    :heart: Jackie
  • Debhow
    Debhow Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am having a hard time motivating myself this morning to exercise. Could it be from waking up with head congestion and sneezing and blowing, breathing more labored, or the bloody nose? Or because my foot is hurting and I don't want it to be hurting worse? Or are all of these just excuses. I think they are. I'll probably feel better after I exercise, as I usually do.

I don't see where they show the number for the posts so I don't know where we're at. The only number I see is under a person's picture for how many THEY have posted. Guess I have a lot to learn!

I'm back. I did 20 min. on the treadmill. I don't feel any more invigorated than before! I'm going to compromise on my exercise today, considering how my lungs and head are feeling. I have LOTS of housework to do today since my dh is coming home so it's not like I'll be sitting around. I'll be vacuuming, doing laundry, dishes, etc.
  • mamacindy81
    mamacindy81 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    morning all,

Debbi: Just do it! I know you will feel better. Maybe just take it a little slower since you aren't feeling well. I've made all those excuses too except maybe the bloody nose.

The number of posts is on the sign in page of this topic and also how many views there have been. Hope that helps.

I hope everyone has a good day. I've only been logging in my exercise for now, still too much to do for the calories or is that just my excuse? We are eating healthy and trying to take care of ourselves as we sort through MIL's things. Pray for wise choices for us all.

Cindy
  • kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Good Morning, All, I think I am the next to the last post for this 500...we are chatty aren't we?

Cindy: You have been in my thoughts every day...and your family. I know it is a bittersweet thing to go through all of these possessions and decide what to do with them. I wish you all the best and glad you are taking good care of yourselves.

Barbiecat: I think we all have a cousin (or friend or someone) like yours...it is a good reminder of how NOT to relate to others, isn't it? When and where are you going? I must have missed that with my logging on problems.

Bec: Interesting to hear you have had problems too...I wonder if the popularity of our MFP has made it "busy" in some regions and thus the problem??? Just a non-technical guess! (Re stalled weight loss...we all relate I know...have you taken your measurements? If not, do that in lots of spots and start tracking that for times like these...often our bodies are getting smaller even when the scale doesn't register due to muscle gain, salt retention, etc. Hang in there...the scale WILL move!) Good luck with the new school year. I am a former teacher and still have those new-classroom dreams!

Debhow: Hope that you are feeling better soon...it is more difficult to exercise when you aren't feeling 100%!

Jackie: Way to go on the pound! You are doing great! (And you do make me chuckle)

Barb: I have the same nail problem and have never heard of biotin...will look for it! Thanks!

Jeannie: I also would love to hear about your new eating plan.

I have gotten rid of ONE of the nasty, extra pounds that I found in MT! :happy: :happy: Hope to lose the other one in the next week! I think I will be walking with Leslie for the next bit until I get back out to MT, THEN I AM WEIGHING myself everyday there!!!! (with scale I either buy and check in my suitcase or another one I buy out there and try to set to match this one). Ok, I have a PLAN!:bigsmile:

Have a great day all. I sure love to read what all of you are doing and if there is a Pacific NW/BC reunion, let me know. DH and I have our road trip scheduled for Sept 7-16! I am so excited! :heart: Kackie:heart:
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    This should be post 499.

Besides a recommendation from a doctor and family history of obesity, the weight loss clinic went to required a letter from the patient on why they wanted to loose weight. I sent in pictures of Uncle Charlie playing the guitar and pictures of the family and relatives that had died young from obesity, heart problems and diabetes. I got an interview from the clinic.

At the end of the interview the doctor said he would take me as patient, but he didn't have a group I could fit in with. So he suggested that I form my own support group from the cousins he saw in the picture. He actually had my overweight cousins circled in the group shots. So some cousins, co-workers and friends and I all started the Fit for Life Diet together. I was the only one who actually went to the clinic, but we all benefited from the experience.

Fit for Life had no real restrictions. You had your daily calorie allowance and for the whole week you could not go over what ever 7 x the daily equaled. The Dr felt that diets didn't work. You had to learn to live on the calories it took to weigh what you should weigh.

See you all in part II of the posts.

Jeannie