Why do British people drink so early in the day?

Options

Replies

• VeganLexi
    VeganLexi Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Hey, $25 question.

Why do brits have such bad teeth?

I mean Austin Powers, come on bro.

Don't you mean £25? :wink:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    "touristing" is not a word.....

Europe in general has a more liberal view of alcohol.
    Are you the word czar? Apparently not, or you'd know tourist can be used as a verb.

tour·ist
    ˈto͝orist/
    verb rare
    gerund or present participle: touristing
    travel as a tourist.
    "American families touristing abroad"

Sounds fine to me!:drinker:

No ****. That's a really rare use of it. Wow.
    I dunno. We use it when we are "conferencing" lol. We say: let's skip the conference and go touristing today. And then there's usually beer involved. So we've gone full circle!:drinker:
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options

Are you the word czar? Apparently not, or you'd know tourist can be used as a verb.

tour·ist
    ˈto͝orist/
    verb rare
    travel as a tourist.

I dunno. We use it when we are "conferencing" lol. We say: let's skip the conference and go touristing today. And then there's usually beer involved. So we've gone full circle!:drinker:

What country you in?
  • dbmata
    Options
    Hey, $25 question.

Or the $39.75 question. ;)
  • VeganLexi
    VeganLexi Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Hey, $25 question.

Or the $39.75 question. ;)

:laugh: touché
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

tour·ist
    ˈto͝orist/
    verb rare
    travel as a tourist.

What country you in?
    I'm American. But this summer I touristed (while not conferencing) in England, Ireland, and Portugal.
  • dbmata
    Options
    I'm American. But this summer I touristed (while not conferencing) in England, Ireland, and Portugal.

Hm, ok. I figured it was a non-US thing. Having never heard that before. Go figure!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Hm, ok. I figured it was a non-US thing. Having never heard that before. Go figure!
    I don't think it's all that common, but I'm pretty American and I say it. :smile:
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Options

I don't think it's all that common, but I'm pretty American and I say it. :smile:

Can't say I've ever heard it before - but American and English are different languages that share much of their vocab and grammar.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Can't say I've ever heard it before - but American and English are different languages that share much of their vocab and grammar.
    Interesting that you say this, because I was suddenly wondering if I'd picked it up from the British fellow, the Irish lady, or the Canadian I was traveling with. Who knows.
  • raaraa17
    raaraa17 Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Because we are fun and like to have a laugh!
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    why drink so early?

someone has clearly never needed a hair of the dog.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Understandable. If I lived in GB, I would be wasted as early as possible, as often as possible, too.

ETA: This is solely my opinion, all those who live there and love it, I'm very happy for you. Really. Just not my personal cup of tea. (Pun totally intended) :flowerforyou:
  • raaraa17
    raaraa17 Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Understandable. If I lived in GB, I would be wasted as early as possible, as often as possible, too.

ETA: This is solely my opinion, all those who live there and love it, I'm very happy for you. Really. Just not my personal cup of tea. (Pun totally intended) :flowerforyou:

Have you ever been to Great Britain?
  • Rosannajo88
    Rosannajo88 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    When I saw this post I thought you meant we start drinking in the morning... by British standards after work is bloody late in the day!
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options

I'd be smashed by 6am every day if I lived in GB.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    They're after work drinks with colleagues....you can't travel all the way home to say "Hi family" get changed and then go all the way back. What makes you think they all have family/kids anyway?!

It simply doesn't work like that.
  • Rosannajo88
    Rosannajo88 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Being British, living in Britain with real life British friends and relatives I can safely say we do not all go straight to the pub after work, most of us go home to our families. Sweeping generalizations are annoying.

Also, if you're so offended by drunk people it's probably best not to go for a meal in a pub.
  • joselo2
    joselo2 Posts: 461
    Options
    Whoever made the comment about bad teeth it'sjust because we don't want bleeched teeth like ross from friends that looks stupid and generally we are less fake than you all. Also why are Americans so fat and ignorant and think they are the best country in the world, and the only country that has freedom? Most Americans dont even have a passport, they are so self absorbed.

I can do spiteful prejudice too. Now can I get some hate on Puerto Ricans, because I am that also. Actually, I know what is the worst thing you can call a Puerto Rican... American. UGH!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Have you ever been to Great Britain?
    That was my question as well. I'd bet not.
This discussion has been closed.