Why do British people drink so early in the day?

Options

Replies

• iceqieen
    iceqieen Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    When I want to eat at a pub when touristing in the UK I have to make sure I go super early or all the pubs are filled with drunk people.. what's up with that?

Why do you just go straight to the pub? Shouldnt you go home first? Change clothes, say hi to the family.. you know, normal stuff!

You must have lead a very sheltered life.......

The Pommies don't have a monopoly on this, it's common pretty much throughout the world; and it's not just people living in large urban centres either......

soooooo Iceland isnt part of the world? I guess we are so small that we dont count.. Norway though, they must have a say in this!

LOL I must confess I'm not familiar with the drinking habits of Icelanders but the Norwegians I know are a thirsty lot! (and it would be a pretty safe bet this doesn't happen in most Arabic countries either)

They are thirsty, that is true! Just not right after work.. or perhaps I have been at boring workplaces.. :P They all just want to go out for a hike or some other sport right after work!

I have heard about some pretty heavy drinking parties in Iran.. but those would be in private houses since.. you know.. law..
  • aelphabawest
    aelphabawest Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on what part of the US you're coming from - the bars in DC are usually full around 5pm for "Happy Hour." Living in the UK, I didn't see people drinking excessively much earlier than that. And if it's a weekend in DC, people are drinking around 11am. Mimosas and bloody marys all the way.

It is much more acceptable throughout Europe to have a glass of wine or a pint with lunch, which is personally a practice I think should be brought over. :-)
  • PaleoChocolateBear
    PaleoChocolateBear Posts: 2,844 Member
    Options
    I say we settle this discussion over a pint
  • Sepa
    Sepa Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I used to work in a pub in the uk. We opened at 10am and people came in straight away. What you have to remember is that some of these people (not all) it is the only human contact they get a day. Same reason the pub opened twice on Christmas Day instead of once
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options

Other reasons include: randomly chatting to people cause they are polite like that,

They must have been tourists.

PS http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camden_Town
  • elka67
    elka67 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Will join the debate when I've finished my drink , sobered up and picked the kids up from school...hic
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I did no know this... now I have a reason to put visiting London on my bucket list! :laugh:

Other reasons include: randomly chatting to people cause they are polite like that, and to visit the Underground.. honestly I am in love with that.. I dont know why.. and Cambdentown (spelling?) ..and just.. London.

Carnaby Street is worth a visit as well if you are in the area but agree about the underground, I used to just love travelling on the underground just for the sake of it when I was younger.

Not during rush hour though
  • dorisbunker39
    dorisbunker39 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    It really does depend where you are, as a company we go out twice a year after work, one to celebrate our annual achievements and one for Christmas. In our area the pub is dying out. Yet visiting my brother in York was an eye opener for me, everyone, young, old, babies, grandmas and the cousins all go to the same place day in day out and alcohol is a way of life. Fair enough it is not for all to get drunk but the pub is a family social place in York. London it is more about the business person off for a drink after work and can get very busy quickly. I would visit Wiltshire and Hampshire next time you are over. We have great places to eat great retreats and wonderful picturesque places to visit. If you do go back to the capital have a look on line for places like Gourmet Burgers and Zizzi restaurants. These will provide you a nice sit down meal with the choice of a beverage and most towns have them now x avoid Weatherspoons and Yates after 17:00 hours most days as they do grub in a pub and it attracts a lot of flies....

Replies like this makes me happy to have made the thread.. I am genuinely interested to hear how people see things differently and experience things differently.

Also, thanks for the pointers.. Will definately keep them in mind!

You are welcome, please email me if you would like to know anything before coming to visit us again. xxx I will send you a friend request.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    ohmygod_zpsffc60547.gif

You make it sounds like a bad thing :drinker:
  • frando
    frando Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    first off, loving the generalisation :D I didn't know I drank for a start- thanks for enlightening me P:

second, you were in a pub... where people go to drink socially... and you were surprised to see people drink... yes.

third, it's not unacceptable to have a glass of wine, or what ever you like, at lunch, in fact its the same in many European countries- its almost unusual not to.

fourth, I think we do have a bit of an issue with alcohol in this country; the idea that you need to get plastered to have a good time- so on that front yeah I can see where you're coming from.
  • surreygirl23
    surreygirl23 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Holy Stereotyping Batman
    a codicil:

if you're a Brit, under 30, or over 40 but think you're under 30, it's a pre-requisite to go out drinking wearing make-up that weighs more than the clothes on your back, especially if you come from the north-east, or the north-west... :laugh:
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Drinking immediately after work happens in the USA too I imagine. Making sweeping statements about us Brits not going home and not seeing our kids is offensive. I often defend the American people when I hear derogatory comments from British people, however, individuals like you make me wonder why. I suggest you climb down from your pompous high horse and get real.

Also, I know I'm double posting, but this is a thread created by a pompous, trollish Norwegian. Us Americans would be more clever, and probably include pictures of flags, and jet fighters, and say, " 'Murica!"

OI! I am not a Norwegian!

:laugh: :sad: :laugh: :sad: :laugh: :sad:
  • iceqieen
    Options
    first off, loving the generalisation :D I didn't know I drank for a start- thanks for enlightening me P:

second, you were in a pub... where people go to drink socially... and you were surprised to see people drink... yes.

third, it's not unacceptable to have a glass of wine, or what ever you like, at lunch, in fact its the same in many European countries- its almost unusual not to.

fourth, I think we do have a bit of an issue with alcohol in this country; the idea that you need to get plastered to have a good time- so on that front yeah I can see where you're coming from.

I am starting to think more and more that Scandinavia is its own continent.. not part of Europe.. :laugh:
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    *Disclaimer: I am repeating stereotypes and observations made by foreigners to each country and this does not reflect everyone and their cat

Why let others speak for you? Would you not want to be judged by your own words, or the words of others?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Drinking immediately after work happens in the USA too I imagine. Making sweeping statements about us Brits not going home and not seeing our kids is offensive. I often defend the American people when I hear derogatory comments from British people, however, individuals like you make me wonder why. I suggest you climb down from your pompous high horse and get real.

Also, I know I'm double posting, but this is a thread created by a pompous, trollish Norwegian. Us Americans would be more clever, and probably include pictures of flags, and jet fighters, and say, " 'Murica!"

OI! I am not a Norwegian!

:laugh: :sad: :laugh: :sad: :laugh: :sad:

I'm not sure if my sarcasm was detectable there. I didn't have enough bourbon in me when I wrote that. It's since been fixed, since it is now 0735.
  • iceqieen
    Options
    *Disclaimer: I am repeating stereotypes and observations made by foreigners to each country and this does not reflect everyone and their cat

Why let others speak for you? Would you not want to be judged by your own words, or the words of others?

Hmm.. because what I would have to say about the Icelandic stereotype would probably offend everyone else :laugh: Other peoples opinion of us is so much nicer.

PS I love being asked why I am not blonde.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    Because they are 5 to 8 hours ahead of the US (depending on East or West Coast)
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    Options

Thank you for this. :flowerforyou:

We cought one! :noway:

ETA: Grats on being the first Brit to be offended by the statement.. Though I guess it is easier to be offended at a wall of text than a grinning face. Not sure why it is relevant that you defend Americans.. seeing as I am not one.

Considering that page one is almost all people in on the joke/experiment, and this is the first post of page 2, I think the argument that people in any country don't like to be stereotyped or have people ask, "Where's the sense in that??" is gaining some merit.

Hmm perhaps the mathematical formula to how many people will be offended will have the pagenr in it.. the third page has more people offended.. though as of yet noone is seriously calling me a xeno..wahtsitcalled? or a racist.. so.. there's that.. :laugh:

You were called a xenophobe on page 1, fourth reply. lol.
  • iceqieen
    Options

Thank you for this. :flowerforyou:

We cought one! :noway:

ETA: Grats on being the first Brit to be offended by the statement.. Though I guess it is easier to be offended at a wall of text than a grinning face. Not sure why it is relevant that you defend Americans.. seeing as I am not one.

Considering that page one is almost all people in on the joke/experiment, and this is the first post of page 2, I think the argument that people in any country don't like to be stereotyped or have people ask, "Where's the sense in that??" is gaining some merit.

Hmm perhaps the mathematical formula to how many people will be offended will have the pagenr in it.. the third page has more people offended.. though as of yet noone is seriously calling me a xeno..wahtsitcalled? or a racist.. so.. there's that.. :laugh:

You were called a xenophobe on page 1, fourth reply. lol.

anything that starts with "omg u r" is not taken seriously ;)
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options

I am starting to think more and more that Scandinavia is its own continent.. not part of Europe.. :laugh:

Well Norway isn't in the EU. :drinker:
This discussion has been closed.