Why do British people drink so early in the day?

Options

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I don't know, but sometimes in college I drank during class. So whatever, who cares.

Or came to class drunk and kept it up with a flask...
  • iceqieen
    iceqieen Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    *Disclaimer: I am repeating stereotypes and observations made by foreigners to each country and this does not reflect everyone and their cat

Why let others speak for you? Would you not want to be judged by your own words, or the words of others?

Hmm.. because what I would have to say about the Icelandic stereotype would probably offend everyone else :laugh: Other peoples opinion of us is so much nicer.

PS I love being asked why I am not blonde.

We've seen Bjork, could it get worse?

Blonde up top or both stem and stern?

Björk is cute, and nice.. and just a little weird.. it can get much much worse, trust me ;)

and I am not blonde.. though I have been asked why I am not, cause you know scandinavians are supposed to be blonde all over top and bottom and all between. Also blue eyed and can drink anyone under the table.. except the irish.
  • iceqieen
    Options
    I don't know why this board is called Chit Chat Fun N Games. It so often makes a quick turn towards anger and resentment.

That tends to happen when people get a bit judgey.

To answer the OP- Because it's their lives and they are doing what they want with it.

but but.. I as a tourist must have food when I want it and how I want it! Its just rude to stop serving food so early in the day and with drunk people in the way all over the place!

:laugh:

Oh what's the matter now? Fish 'n Chips not big enough?? That's because it's cod & chips not whale & chips... :smokin:

But I want the Whale & Chips! Whale is so much better than cod! Cooked right its absolutely delish!
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    We cought one! :noway:

ETA: Grats on being the first Brit to be offended by the statement.. Though I guess it is easier to be offended at a wall of text than a grinning face. Not sure why it is relevant that you defend Americans.. seeing as I am not one.

lol Yes. Good on you.

Or whatever the troll version of that is. :laugh:
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Oh what's the matter now? Fish 'n Chips not big enough?? That's because it's cod & chips not whale & chips... :smokin:

But I want the Whale & Chips! Whale is so much better than cod! Cooked right its absolutely delish!

:laugh: I bet you're not short of protein!! :bigsmile:
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Because we can.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    comes from many generations of living with dirty contaminated water. The only thing safe to drink was alcohol, and now it's cultural and remains.

If I'm correct the only country I know about (besides Islamic countries) to prohibit alcohol is the States, so we have more a tea totaler mentality than most of the world.

Also since we are a young country our water supply has generally been safe to drink.
  • surreygirl23
    surreygirl23 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I've just returned from a vacation in London and was amazed at the employees hitting the pubs as soon as they leave work. I mentioned this to a British friend and he just replied that England was the land of plenty and they had to support their pubs. He then left work and went straight to the pubs without seeing his kids first - what is the sense of that?? Bars in the US open much later and yet we have alcohol problems here too.

I can always tell the British tourists here because they are making a beeline for the bars, wearing their I <3 William and Kate shirts, even in the dead of winter.
    OMG - penny's just dropped...
    (slaps forehead with hand) Bit slow on the uptake today, obviously need a drink...
    :wink:
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I don't know why this board is called Chit Chat Fun N Games. It so often makes a quick turn towards anger and resentment.

To answer the OP- Because it's their lives and they are doing what they want with it.

but but.. I as a tourist must have food when I want it and how I want it! Its just rude to stop serving food so early in the day and with drunk people in the way all over the place!

Well, maybe this is a lesson in tolerance, patience, and working on entitlement issues. :flowerforyou: It's great when you're able to enjoy a culture, people, and life instead of complaining about it :smile:
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options

Well, maybe this is a lesson in tolerance, patience, and working on entitlement issues. :flowerforyou: It's great when you're able to enjoy a culture, people, and life instead of complaining about it :smile:

Is your sarcasm filter not working?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

nope

Might have to do with trying to work on 5k in 25min to meet "fit standards"
  • vanillacoffee
    vanillacoffee Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I'm not from the UK but I sure wouldnt say no to going, now! ;)
  • iceqieen
    Options

nope

Might have to do with trying to work on 5k in 25min to meet "fit standards"

Best of luck on the 5k! :flowerforyou:
  • iceqieen
    Options
    I'm not from the UK but I sure wouldnt say no to going, now! ;)

In all honesty I think it would be the culture in Iceland as well.. if alcohol in bars wasnt so damn expensive. We have a culture of drinking at home before going out because its a whole lot cheaper, and yet even when its cheaper its more expensive than a pint at a pub in the UK (or close to that pricetag, depending on how currency is doing)
  • WisiPls
    WisiPls Posts: 359
    Options
    Have you seen what british people look like? I would start drinking early too
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    When I want to eat at a pub when touristing in the UK I have to make sure I go super early or all the pubs are filled with drunk people.. what's up with that?

Why do you just go straight to the pub? Shouldnt you go home first? Change clothes, say hi to the family.. you know, normal stuff!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I see what you did there :P
  • FitCurves444
    FitCurves444 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    "touristing" is not a word.....

Europe in general has a more liberal view of alcohol.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    What??? What part of America do you people live in that there is no Happy Hour and bars don't open until late?

This. Bars here open at ten a.m. and there's always a happy hour!

And yes, I live in the US.

The airport bars in the US open at 8am! :)
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    (ed) I blame the war.
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Lets all have a drink together, who's going to the pub!!! LOL!

I'm in! Your round :drinker:
This discussion has been closed.