Why do British people drink so early in the day?

Options

Replies

• jollyjoe321
    jollyjoe321 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    While as everyone knows, God is an Englishman, well leave that to one side for the moment.
    Heaven and Hell

Heaven Is Where:

The French are the chefs
    The Italians are the lovers
    The British are the police
    The Germans are the mechanics
    And the Swiss make everything run on time

Hell is Where:

The British are the chefs
    The Swiss are the lovers
    The French are the mechanics
    The Italians make everything run on time
    And the Germans are the police

lmfao
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    When I want to eat at a pub when touristing in the UK I have to make sure I go super early or all the pubs are filled with drunk people.. what's up with that?

Why do you just go straight to the pub? Shouldnt you go home first? Change clothes, say hi to the family.. you know, normal stuff!

That's a bit of a stereotype.

When I watch TV, I see Americans in certain parts of the country smoking crack, drinking, shooting each other and having sex with each others siblings. Does that mean ALL Americans are like that?

I've not yet shot anyone today. It's early yet though.
    depends on your time zone. It's getting late here. I best fetch my gun. :wink:

I've got to head down to the local redneckeria, so I can buy some new Anti-Tory rounds.
    redneckeria! That's a new one for me!
  • joselo2
    joselo2 Posts: 461
    Options
    Of course I don't, you talking about American comedians, I don't know who they are, because uuum... your culture isn't the world's culture. I don't see anything wrong with that young lady. And if I did, I'd point you towards your own 'trailer trash'. But I'm not a snob.

BTW, my favourite is on St Patrick's day, or 'Saint Patties day' as stupid Americans call it- they celebrate even though they are not Irish. An Irish man, or indeed an Englishman wouldn't dream of drinking GREEN beer, it is so babyish, and just proves how infantilised americans are. They talk about how CRRRRAAAZZZYY they get but this probably means having 2 and a half pints and feeling dizzy and going home. Because you all light weights.

More like musician, but that's ok. Honestly though, how the hell do you know that's a woman?! Are you sure? I do like the snob comment, you did level up your satire score right there.

Now, throw this around in your empty firkin and give it a think. When I lived in Boston, the only folks I knew drinking green beer where the illegal irish immigrants I knew. So babyish indeed!

As a brewer, I do have to thank you guys... you guys did up ales a bit proper, and then left it to us to really polish them up and make them something worth drinking. ;)
    Because I can tell men and women apart. You are a real snob. Naah, I see Americans always going on about it, green beer, no one has it here. Our beers are probably better than yours because we appreciate them, whereas you drink one and feel sick and need a lie down. As I say, babies.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    When I want to eat at a pub when touristing in the UK I have to make sure I go super early or all the pubs are filled with drunk people.. what's up with that?

Why do you just go straight to the pub? Shouldnt you go home first? Change clothes, say hi to the family.. you know, normal stuff!
    Out of curiosity OP: define "early"?:wink:
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Heaven:
    The police are British,
    the cooks French,
    the mechanics German,
    the lovers Italian,
    and it is all organized and run by the Swiss.

Hell:
    where the police are German,
    the cooks British,
    the mechanics French,
    the lovers Swiss,
    and it is all organized and run by the Italians.

Just thought I'd add to today's dose of stereotyping. :tongue:
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    for all of you who are getting your panties bunched, you should perhaps read the thread that spawned this thread.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1097869-why-are-us-meal-portions-so-big

then check your sarcasm detectors, but they seem not to be working.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I quite like British food!
  • xvxCelticWandererxvx
    xvxCelticWandererxvx Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Why you ask? Because, they can! :drinker:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    for all of you who are getting your panties bunched, you should perhaps read the thread that spawned this thread.

But folks LIKE having their panties bunched.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options

As a Brit I would like to categorically state I do not wear panties to get bunched. I wear knickers. Which i may at times get in a twist :wink:
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options

Relax, we're all playing nice.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

As a Brit I would like to categorically state I do not wear panties to get bunched. I wear knickers. Which i may at times get in a twist :wink:
    :wink: :happy:
  • jollyjoe321
    jollyjoe321 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Inb4 this topic gets sexualised just like eeeeevery other! :happy:
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Of course I don't, you talking about American comedians, I don't know who they are, because uuum... your culture isn't the world's culture. I don't see anything wrong with that young lady. And if I did, I'd point you towards your own 'trailer trash'. But I'm not a snob.

BTW, my favourite is on St Patrick's day, or 'Saint Patties day' as stupid Americans call it- they celebrate even though they are not Irish. An Irish man, or indeed an Englishman wouldn't dream of drinking GREEN beer, it is so babyish, and just proves how infantilised americans are. They talk about how CRRRRAAAZZZYY they get but this probably means having 2 and a half pints and feeling dizzy and going home. Because you all light weights.

More like musician, but that's ok. Honestly though, how the hell do you know that's a woman?! Are you sure? I do like the snob comment, you did level up your satire score right there.

Now, throw this around in your empty firkin and give it a think. When I lived in Boston, the only folks I knew drinking green beer where the illegal irish immigrants I knew. So babyish indeed!

As a brewer, I do have to thank you guys... you guys did up ales a bit proper, and then left it to us to really polish them up and make them something worth drinking. ;)
    Because I can tell men and women apart. You are a real snob. Naah, I see Americans always going on about it, green beer, no one has it here. Our beers are probably better than yours because we appreciate them, whereas you drink one and feel sick and need a lie down. As I say, babies.

I invite you to join me on a pint for pint jaunt through Avery brewing's offerings. I can't imagine a proper british brewing company making anything half as interesting.
    http://averybrewing.com/our-ales/

Meph in particular will grow hair on the peaches of even the most stoic of Brits. I've not seen a proper british pint anywhere near that... aside from maybe Brewdog, and frankly, those guys are no substance, all marketing and accent.

Who you would put against Avery? :)
  • Mslmesq
    Options
    I quite like British food!

Me too. When the Indians are cooking it. :tongue:
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options

i would bet american culture permeates the globe more than any other.

and whats wrong with celebrating holidays from around the world? its a lot of fun. you should try it.

and finally you sure are hung up on baby themes. were you abandoned as a child?
  • Mslmesq
    Options

yikes. I'm pretty sure this thread was started in fun and not being serious. After all, we head for drinks at happy hour here too.

But, let's not take this personal k? And fwiw, we celebrate all kinds of holidays here because we are a mix of cultures. We have cities with large irish populations, like Boston, and we support the multi-culturalism that is our country. Same with cinco de mayo, and a lot of other holidays. And it's all good.

Now off to the pub with you and have another beer. :wink:
  • joselo2
    joselo2 Posts: 461
    Options

and whats wrong with celebrating holidays from around the world? its a lot of fun. you should try it.

But Irish people dont drink green beer. People do what they want, just saying it's not authentic. I forgot why I cared about this now.

I wasn't abandoned as a child but my dad was kind of emotionally distant, my mother was great thought, treated me like a baby in a good way :)
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    THe ENTIRE world of " the haves" drinks and eats from early AM until we fall n2 our beds at night, that my GLOBAL friends is what good living is all about!!!!!

We ARE one!!!!! :drinker: :blushing: :drinker:
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options

But Irish people dont drink green beer. People do what they want, just saying it's not authentic. I forgot why I cared about this now.

I wasn't abandoned as a child but my dad was kind of emotionally distant, my mother was great thought, treated me like a baby in a good way :)

lol i dont think any of us Americans think its authentic Irish celebration. its just a lot of fun. :)
This discussion has been closed.