Why do British people drink so early in the day?

Options
18910111214»

Replies

• anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    I have a bad feeling that this one is going to degenerate in the same way that the portion size one did. :frown:

nah, brits have a sense of humour
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    This thread was the result of a direct challenge. Someone posted that British people would not get offended if someone asked why they drink early. My response: happy hour? :huh: The person then said British people would not get offended by the generalization. I suggested a thread be posted to see. Thus, this thread was born.

My original post was copied word for word from the starting post of the American portion size thread, I just subbed words like nationality and pubs. The bit about the William and Kate shirts was due to a statement that American tourists walk around in Hawaiian shirts.

For the record, I don't know what the drinking habits of British people are, Americans drink after work and sometimes on the job too, and apparently enough of us <3 William and Kate to be hearing about their baby journey as much as we do. I've never been outside of my country, but it's because traveling within it a single time cost me plenty, and I don't comfort myself with burgers. When I go to the bar, I don't expect a waitress to bring me my drink, but I do struggle with hovering too politely amid the crowd at the bar vying for drinks, hoping to get noticed so I don't have to yell at the bartender, which just feels rude. I am a lightweight drinker, and that doesn't bother me, and I can rarely afford to go out to eat and am too cheap to pay someone to make me a single meal, so our huge American portions (which I have no basis for comparison on) are fine by me since I am occasionally not too cheap to get 2-3 meals made for me.

Not all Americans feel the same way about our country and what we should be doing, hence our harmonious political parties and their love for each other. But we're not allowed to talk about politics on the main forums, so we have to put our energy into making sure people don't think we all walk around in Hawaiian shirts and shorts in the winter.
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    time zones
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    I've just returned from a vacation in London and was amazed at the employees hitting the pubs as soon as they leave work. I mentioned this to a British friend and he just replied that England was the land of plenty and they had to support their pubs. He then left work and went straight to the pubs without seeing his kids first - what is the sense of that?? Bars in the US open much later and yet we have alcohol problems here too.

I can always tell the British tourists here because they are making a beeline for the bars, wearing their I <3 William and Kate shirts, even in the dead of winter.

lol

too much times on the forums, much?
  • FlaxMilk
    Options

lol

Sometimes. It's the American bars not being open early enough and feeling sluggish from our huge portions.

You and I actually have a pretty comparable post count. Do you come here often?
  • FlaxMilk
    Options
    Double post.
  • TorontoDiane
    TorontoDiane Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    I have dual citizenship in the UK and Canada.. and its a very social thing to drink in the UK.. I believe its their fav pass time.. but its just a cultural thing... and every village has a pub and sometimes has been there for centuries.. its a different lifestyle over there

and not everyone drinks.. just everyone seems to go into pubs to talk and catch up on their friends and neighbours...

I don't drink either.. but its good fun to get into the pub and enjoy everyone laughing and having a good time

unfortunately some idiots drink and drive and the barmaids need to cut them off.. but hopefully most locals who go to their pubs just walk down the street to their house and sleep it off lol
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I have dual citizenship in the UK and Canada.. and its a very social thing to drink in the UK.. I believe its their fav pass time.. but its just a cultural thing... and every village has a pub and sometimes has been there for centuries.. its a different lifestyle over there

and not everyone drinks.. just everyone seems to go into pubs to talk and catch up on their friends and neighbours...

I don't drink either.. but its good fun to get into the pub and enjoy everyone laughing and having a good time

unfortunately some idiots drink and drive and the barmaids need to cut them off.. but hopefully most locals who go to their pubs just walk down the street to their house and sleep it off lol

My dear woman that is a grand generalization!!!!... My village has 3 pubs & a working men's club!!! :drinker:

*Edited to include emoticon to demonstrate no knicker twisting has ensued*
  • TorontoDiane
    TorontoDiane Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    my aunt owned quite a few pubs .. so I have had the pleasure of many a fun night .. and from my observation over the years in many pubs from Scotland, Wales and England.. its a good fun night.. no need to get offended...

I mentioned it was a social fun thing to do... its culturally different as compared to north America
  • ajlandon
    ajlandon Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Lol. If you think British drinking culture is foreign, and maybe a bit excessive, hang out with some archaeologists, especially when in the field ;) There's a reason I drink 4-7 evenings/week O.o

And don't get me started on conferences. We're known to start around 9 am, depending on the conference and location, of course.
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Here in the USA, those of us who are in the know say HEY, it's 5 o'clock somewhere.

It 's called " the good life"!
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options

lol

Sometimes. It's the American bars not being open early enough and feeling sluggish from our huge portions.

You and I actually have a pretty comparable post count. Do you come here often?

nah. only on days ending in "Y"
This discussion has been closed.