Apple, Pear or Hourglass MUST KNOW NOW

Options
jstefanir
jstefanir Posts: 17
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
I stopped working out because I can no longer afford my gym membership and I wasn't seeing results. :/ I want a workout regime that works for my body type. However, I changed my diet and strangely, I lose weight when I add carbs into my diet and retained my weight when I went low-carb.

I've lost weight, however I still look sloppy and have no *kitten*. I always felt I was apple shaped but in my previous post, people said I looked more like an hourglass or a pear. So idk!
Post #2 a few pounds thinner.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w27/prettyeyes1123/shape_zps7ad39219.jpg

Problem areas: cellulite on my stomach and back of thighs, inner thigh fat, love handles and the fact that my back literally goes straight down into my butt there is no curve.

Replies

• nicoleisme
    nicoleisme Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Personally to me you look like an hourglass, definitely not an apple and a pear would have a smaller upper body in comparison to their low body I think.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Hourglass. I'm hourglass too.
  • Starlightbella
    Starlightbella Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I think you are built similar to me and I am an hourglass
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    There is no regiment that is for a body type that isn't the same for any others.

Just do the workouts you want and can stick with. I recommend, though, making sure to have both cardio/endurance workouts with strength/resistance training.

Browse through the success stories and you will see that people with all types of bodies doing a variety of workouts because they like them, not because it was dictated to them due to their body type.

As for problem areas - if you only have 10lbs to go, it may be a good idea to focus more on strength/weight/resistance training rather than cardio.
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    You're an hourglass!
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Try looking up Bret Contreras for tips on building the booty. He has a few different programs you can get. Strong curves ebook was only around $10 and it has beginner, advanced and body weight programs. Highly recommend
  • Jilliana22
    Options
    You look like a ruler, but here is a link to a test on how to define your body shape based on your measurements.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/182908-how-to-define-your-body-shape/
  • learnerdriver
    learnerdriver Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    i think you're an inverted triangle from what i can see of your shoulder to hip ratio.
  • LumpySpacePrincess1
    Options
    This is the rule of thumb for hourglasses: Your waist must be at least 9 inches smaller than both your chest and hips, and your hips and chest can be 2 inches bigger/smaller than each other max.
    A measure tape will help you figure this out.
    You look rectangular to me, which isn't bad, they tend to be able to become very athletic bodied.
    My mum is a rectangle, but she has a model figure. I'm an hourglass: 42-28-42.
  • GiGiBeans
    Options
    There is no regiment that is for a body type that isn't the same for any others.

Just do the workouts you want and can stick with. I recommend, though, making sure to have both cardio/endurance workouts with strength/resistance training.

Browse through the success stories and you will see that people with all types of bodies doing a variety of workouts because they like them, not because it was dictated to them due to their body type.

As for problem areas - if you only have 10lbs to go, it may be a good idea to focus more on strength/weight/resistance training rather than cardio.

Not true when it comes to trying to striving for better body symmetry.
  • SuMcP
    SuMcP Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    You are an hourglass. Try some home workout DVD's which combine cardio and strength toning. Here in the UK Davina McCall does some good ones. At the moment I am using Insanity, which is insane.
  • HeyGoRun
    HeyGoRun Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I dont know what you are but i know you can be whatever you wanna be, working out doesnt mean gym i have never been in a gym and i have been able to shape my body. You can do plenty at home or outside! Get working and all those trouble spots will get better! Good luck
  • PikaKnight
    Options

Body recomposition is done with weight training so how was what I said not true?
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    None of the above. Ruler/rectangle for sure (not sure where people are seeing an hour glass. :huh: )

That said who gives a crap? Your body shape is what it is, but that has no baring on what you can achieve. Strength train, eat at a slight deficit, win.
  • GiGiBeans
    Options

Body recomposition is done with weight training so how was what I said not true?
    Your routine would be tailored to your body type to create balance. A ruler can create more curves. A pear like myself can add more upper body mass. This way you don't just become a smaller version of whatever shape you are.
  • LumpySpacePrincess1
    Options
    None of the above. Ruler/rectangle for sure (not sure where people are seeing an hour glass. :huh: )

That said who gives a crap? Your body shape is what it is, but that has no baring on what you can achieve. Strength train, eat at a slight deficit, win.
    Agreed. I don't know why people are giving her false information. There's absolutely nothing wrong with being a rectangle. I find they have an easier time balancing their figures.
    Cardio and strength training:everyone should do it.
  • PikaKnight
    Options

Your routine would be tailored to your body type to create balance. A ruler can create more curves. A pear like myself can add more upper body mass. This way you don't just become a smaller version of whatever shape you are.

The OP said she wants a workout regime that works for her BODY TYPE. To me, that means she is trying to go along with that fad in regards to figuring out what workouts work with her body type. The ones that also tell you that you can't eat this because of your body type, etc.

My answer was to let the OP know that there isn't a routine that is designed only for hourglasses, pears, etc. Right now, she just needs to get an idea of workouts she can do first and then worry about details of body recomposition.

Still, once she pursued weight training, she'd have (hopefully) learned more about recomposition and the such.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Oh. I just pick up heavy things and enjoy getting smaller and firmer; I wasn't aware being a smaller version of the shape you are was something to be bothered by.
This discussion has been closed.