Replies

• HealthyVitamins
    HealthyVitamins Posts: 432 Member
    I would say you are a rectangle,

This might be of some help:

bodytypes2.jpg
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    None of the above. Ruler/rectangle for sure (not sure where people are seeing an hour glass. :huh: )

That said who gives a crap? Your body shape is what it is, but that has no baring on what you can achieve. Strength train, eat at a slight deficit, win.
    Agreed. I don't know why people are giving her false information. There's absolutely nothing wrong with being a rectangle. I find they have an easier time balancing their figures.
    Cardio and strength training:everyone should do it.

Thirded. Nothing wrong with being a rectangle/column.

Hourglass is defined in a lot of different ways, but every version of the definition involves a waist significantly smaller than bust and hips (sometimes listed by inches i.e. 9-12+" smaller, sometimes by proportion i.e. 0.75 times the hip measurement).
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    None of the above. Ruler/rectangle for sure (not sure where people are seeing an hour glass. :huh: )

That said who gives a crap? Your body shape is what it is, but that has no baring on what you can achieve. Strength train, eat at a slight deficit, win.
    Agreed. I don't know why people are giving her false information. There's absolutely nothing wrong with being a rectangle. I find they have an easier time balancing their figures.

Hourglass is defined in a lot of different ways, but every version of the definition involves a waist significantly smaller than bust and hips (sometimes listed by inches i.e. 9-12+" smaller, sometimes by proportion i.e. 0.75 times the hip measurement).

I'm a ruler/rectangle (whatever you want to label it) and minus the fat, I love my shape. :bigsmile:
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member

I'm a ruler/rectangle (whatever you want to label it) and minus the fat, I love my shape. :bigsmile:

I secretly hope that I'll magically not have a huge *kitten* and thus become a ruler (vs a pear) nothing wrong with pear shaped ladies, I'm just tired of having a gap in my pants/sizing up to fit my booty.
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Although, back to the main point, heavy strength training is fantastic for slimming down any body shape. My waist is actually proportionally smaller since starting to lift than it was before.
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    There is no regiment that is for a body type that isn't the same for any others.

Just do the workouts you want and can stick with. I recommend, though, making sure to have both cardio/endurance workouts with strength/resistance training.

Browse through the success stories and you will see that people with all types of bodies doing a variety of workouts because they like them, not because it was dictated to them due to their body type.

As for problem areas - if you only have 10lbs to go, it may be a good idea to focus more on strength/weight/resistance training rather than cardio.

Not true when it comes to trying to striving for better body symmetry.

Body recomposition is done with weight training so how was what I said not true?
    Your routine would be tailored to your body type to create balance. A ruler can create more curves. A pear like myself can add more upper body mass. This way you don't just become a smaller version of whatever shape you are.

Oh. I just pick up heavy things and enjoy getting smaller and firmer; I wasn't aware being a smaller version of the shape you are was something to be bothered by.

Maybe because you're an hourglass, the shape people typically interested in symmetry strive for. I'm not suggesting every woman should strive for it. All shapes are beautiful. But for those with a goal to build more of an hourglass shape there's definitely types of exercises and isolation work they'd do to get there. If someone has no personal ideal in there head and the focus is being thinner, healthier than tailored routines don't matter.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    And I'm out. Best of luck OP
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Human shaped.

I'm shaking my head at all the shape-thinga-amagog.

You are human and human shaped.
    And even if you can't afford a gym you can work out. Shape stuff is your brain focusing on the wrong things.
    Your eating rules your weight, exercise or sports rule your fitness and capabilities.

Everything else is excuses.
  • Either way you swing it, cardio works great for fat loss and cardiovascular health, and weight training is great for upping your metabolism and balancing your figure (and also fat loss). Strength training is probably superior in the long run, but I personally think a mix is best. Cardio practically cured my asthma, but...strength training improved my azz :bigsmile:
    If I don't use weights my upper half becomes smaller than the bottom.
  • Human shaped.

I'm shaking my head at all the shape-thinga-amagog.

You are human and human shaped.
    And even if you can't afford a gym you can work out. Shape stuff is your brain focusing on the wrong things.

Everything else is excuses.
    That's wacist! What if I'm NOT human-shaped?! You have no soul :mad:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Body shape is irrelevant to what workout routine is best as far as getting rid of fat. A caloric deficit will help that. With regard to your butt - squats, deadlifts, lunges, hill sprints to build your glutes.
  • StArBeLLa87
    StArBeLLa87 Posts: 1,582 Member
    Straight or rectangular shaped I would say your waist seems to not be narrow enough to be considered hour glass and your hips not big enough to be considers as pear and bust not big enough either. But without your true measurents it's really hard to say.

The following are the four most common female body shapes:

Apple (triangle downward)
    Apple-shaped women have broader shoulders and bust, and narrower hips.

Banana, or straight (rectangular)
    Banana-shaped women's waist measurement is less than 9 inches smaller than the hip or bust measurement.

Pear, Spoon, or Bell (triangle upward)
    Pear-shaped women's hip measurements are greater than their bust measurements.

Hourglass Shape (triangles opposing, facing in)
    Here, the hip and bust are almost of equal size, with a narrow waist.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    don't try to fit yourself into boxes, just strive to be the best version of you that you can be. These categories are vaguely useful when it comes to selecting clothes that suit you, but they're not accurate and don't work for everyone. for example, by measurements I'm an hourglass (40/29/39 or thereabouts), but fashion tips for inverted triangles suit me a lot better, as my 40 inch bust is due to having a really big rib cage and small boobs, but the calculators for body type never take that into account and assume I have a normal sized rib cage and large boobs. Well obviously boob size is really important when considering what clothes suit you, so I don't look right wearing hourglass type clothes. And what am I? Hourglass or inverted triangle? really I don't care, I just wear clothes that suit me and work out to be strong and healthy.

Strong and healthy looks good on every body type, and you can't change your body type. You can balance your physique out a bit, for example doing heavy squats to bulk up your glutes (you need to eat at a surplus to do that, not just lift heavy weights) or bench presses to perk up your boobs (you can't make them bigger but you can perk them up a little)... but you really can't change your body type, so just strive to be healthy, fit and strong and you'll look like a fit, strong, healthy version of you, and that is beautiful :flowerforyou:
  • Mady1911
    Mady1911 Posts: 90 Member
    Go here! you enter your measurements!

http://www.shopyourshape.com/
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    don't try to fit yourself into boxes, just strive to be the best version of you that you can be. These categories are vaguely useful when it comes to selecting clothes that suit you, but they're not accurate and don't work for everyone. for example, by measurements I'm an hourglass (40/29/39 or thereabouts), but fashion tips for inverted triangles suit me a lot better, as my 40 inch bust is due to having a really big rib cage and small boobs, but the calculators for body type never take that into account and assume I have a normal sized rib cage and large boobs. Well obviously boob size is really important when considering what clothes suit you, so I don't look right wearing hourglass type clothes. And what am I? Hourglass or inverted triangle? really I don't care, I just wear clothes that suit me and work out to be strong and healthy.

Strong and healthy looks good on every body type, and you can't change your body type. You can balance your physique out a bit, for example doing heavy squats to bulk up your glutes (you need to eat at a surplus to do that, not just lift heavy weights) or bench presses to perk up your boobs (you can't make them bigger but you can perk them up a little)... but you really can't change your body type, so just strive to be healthy, fit and strong and you'll look like a fit, strong, healthy version of you, and that is beautiful :flowerforyou:

Claps.
  • hollymartin90
    hollymartin90 Posts: 57 Member
    I'd say hourglass cus ur soo much more in proportion than me ,i consider myself a pear (even though I dont have a small bust)as my bottom half is so much bigger than my top.but I dont see what body shape has got to do with workout style??
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member

Claps.

Adds mine
  • Erikaelias85
    Erikaelias85 Posts: 69 Member
    Dang girl you sexy! I would say an hourglass!
  • Carmella9
    Carmella9 Posts: 171 Member
    If you want a curver bum then squats and lots of them are the way forward! You can incorporate weight with it if you like.
This discussion has been closed.