Apple, Pear or Hourglass MUST KNOW NOW

Replies

• Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    I'd say hourglass cus ur soo much more in proportion than me ,i consider myself a pear (even though I dont have a small bust)as my bottom half is so much bigger than my top.but I dont see what body shape has got to do with workout style??

I'm amazed at how many people don't know what hourglass entails. An in proportion top and bottom do not an hourglass shape make; it's about waist/hip ratio (at least 9 inches in difference) as well as a bust/hip measurement that is roughly the same.
  • I'd say hourglass cus ur soo much more in proportion than me ,i consider myself a pear (even though I dont have a small bust)as my bottom half is so much bigger than my top.but I dont see what body shape has got to do with workout style??

I'm amazed at how many people don't know what hourglass entails. An in proportion top and bottom do not an hourglass shape make; it's about waist/hip ratio (at least 9 inches in difference) as well as a bust/hip measurement that is roughly the same.
    Yep, this post is driving me insane. I wasn't sane before, but I've definitely been shoved off the edge now.
    If you don't know, don't say. And if you're one of the many women who lie to be nice, just stop. Everyone loves an hourglass, but telling her she's one isn't helpful because it isn't true! Gawd :explode:
    She's a rectangle. K? Rectangle.
    Like a million others said, your waist has to be AT LEAST 9 inches smaller than your bust. 9+ is a big difference.
  • tworthen79
    tworthen79 Posts: 1,173 Member
    I vote ruler/rectangular.
  • None of the above. Ruler/rectangle for sure (not sure where people are seeing an hour glass. :huh: )

That said who gives a crap? Your body shape is what it is, but that has no baring on what you can achieve. Strength train, eat at a slight deficit, win.
    Agreed. I don't know why people are giving her false information. There's absolutely nothing wrong with being a rectangle. I find they have an easier time balancing their figures.
    Cardio and strength training:everyone should do it.

yea, I'm not seeing hourglass, either. I see a great body, though.
  • rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    I think you're more of an apple or rectangle. Why worry about a work out routine specific for your body type? (which doesn't exist by the way). Just do what works for you. If you lose weight by eating more carbs, then great. If you want to lose some fat while increasing your muscle definition, then incorporate strength training to your routine.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    This is the rule of thumb for hourglasses: Your waist must be at least 9 inches smaller than both your chest and hips, and your hips and chest can be 2 inches bigger/smaller than each other max.
    A measure tape will help you figure this out.
    You look rectangular to me, which isn't bad, they tend to be able to become very athletic bodied.
    My mum is a rectangle, but she has a model figure. I'm an hourglass: 42-28-42.
    This. You are not an hourglass.
  • Achrya
    I'd say hourglass cus ur soo much more in proportion than me ,i consider myself a pear (even though I dont have a small bust)as my bottom half is so much bigger than my top.but I dont see what body shape has got to do with workout style??

Yep, this post is driving me insane. I wasn't sane before, but I've definitely been shoved off the edge now.
    If you don't know, don't say. And if you're one of the many women who lie to be nice, just stop. Everyone loves an hourglass, but telling her she's one isn't helpful because it isn't true! Gawd :explode:
    Like a million others said, your waist has to be AT LEAST 9 inches smaller than your bust. 9+ is a big difference.

9+ inches is a very big difference, and I'm not sure if people just fail to realize that or aren't aware of the requirement or just have some weird negative association with non-hourglass figures.

I myself am a pear (8 inch difference from bust to waist, 10 inch from waist to hips) and I'm happy that way. I don't need to be lied to about my shape, nor would I lie to anyone else. Great bodies come in every shape.
  • lucystacy71
    lucystacy71 Posts: 290 Member
    Stupid question, but I've always thought I was an hourglass but now I'm not so sure. My bottom is slightly bigger than my chest, but my waist is still significantly smaller than my bust or hips. I'm still quite overweight, but I'm a 48-37-50. Would that make me more of a spoon?
  • I'd say hourglass cus ur soo much more in proportion than me ,i consider myself a pear (even though I dont have a small bust)as my bottom half is so much bigger than my top.but I dont see what body shape has got to do with workout style??

9+ inches is a very big difference, and I'm not sure if people just fail to realize that or aren't aware of the requirement or just have some weird negative association with non-hourglass figures.

I myself am a pear (8 inch difference from bust to waist, 10 inch from waist to hips) and I'm happy that way. I don't need to be lied to about my shape, nor would I lie to anyone else. Great bodies come in every shape.
    Tbh I wouldn't have guessed you were a pear cause you have such a large chest :laugh:
    But I agree with you. I mean, people are always striving to look like Kate Moss (rectangle supreme) or Beyonce (pear).
    If you have a toned and healthy body is anyone gonna say you're not hot because you don't have M.Monroe's measurements?
    I feel I have sufficiently beat this dead horse to get my point across.
    Grazie. :drinker:
  • Ignaura
    Ignaura Posts: 203 Member
    It looks to me you're a rectangle for sure...
    I've seen pictures of girls who have built a butt,,,.. squat, squat, squat!!
  • rml_16

Exactly! Just because one's waist goes in a little bit doesn't make that person an hourglass.

And there's nothing wrong with NOT being an hourglass. You're in the majority of the world's female population (92% of women) if you aren't one.

I'm an extreme hourglass (12-inch difference) and if you look at photos of me where you can see my proportions, it's VERY obvious.
  • Achrya

Tbh I wouldn't have guessed you were a pear cause you have such a large chest :laugh:
    But I agree with you. I mean, people are always striving to look like Kate Moss (rectangle supreme) or Beyonce (pear).
    If you have a toned and healthy body is anyone gonna say you're not hot because you don't have M.Monroe's measurements?
    I feel I have sufficiently beat this dead horse to get my point across.
    Grazie. :drinker:

I'm actually kind of borderline. Actual bust difference is between 9 and 8.5 inches depending on how tight my husband is pulling the tape. We're still working on consistent accurate measuring; so I am either a very busty pear or make the cut for hourglass by the skin of my teeth, as I think a 1-2 inch variation in bust/hips still works.

I was very much an hourglass before I lost weight but, alas, I lost in the bust and waist and my hips are just barely following along.
  • ToFatT0B3S1ck
    ToFatT0B3S1ck Posts: 194 Member
    Not reading all the comments. You should measure yourself. That will tell you your body type. Looking at an image is not the best way to figure out somebody's body type.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member

Everyone's told that an hourglass is the ideal shape. And, really, who doesn't want to be ideal?

I thought for years that I had an oval face (ideal, you know), and my proportions aren't that far off from it, but I'm really a square or really short rectangle. I've got the more prominent jawline and it's becoming more prominent the more I lose.

Take it from me, every shape has its pluses and minuses as far as how you want to dress it, and there are beautiful bodies of every shape. Confidence is key.

But, if you want to be able to pull off most trends, you want to be a rectangle - it's as top/bottom proportional as an hourglass and doesn't have dramatic curves that can interfere with the line of a garment. Plus, it's relatively easy to give the illusion of curves where you want them. Not so easy to take them away if you don't.

Exactly! Just because one's waist goes in a little bit doesn't make that person an hourglass.

And there's nothing wrong with NOT being an hourglass. You're in the majority of the world's female population (92% of women) if you aren't one.

I'm an extreme hourglass (12-inch difference) and if you look at photos of me where you can see my proportions, it's VERY obvious.
    This this this! THIS!
    I will sacrifice my own large, holed-knicker *kitten* to reveal le difference!
    Excuse the crappy attire and sticking out labels. I do it in the name of edumacation.
    14-inch difference.
    th_image_zps294208c6.jpg
  • bellesouth18
    bellesouth18 Posts: 1,071 Member
    I'd say a rectangle at your current weight. But like some have said before, shape only matters for selecting clothes. :flowerforyou:
  • jadethief
    jadethief Posts: 266 Member
    Who makes up all these silly shapes rules anyway?

Love who (or what) you are.
  • rml_16
    Who makes up all these silly shapes rules anyway?

Love who (or what) you are.
    It helps to be honest and aware of shape when dressing yourself. It makes it easier to find flattering styles/clothing without as much trial and error and frustration.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    This this this! THIS!
    Excuse the crappy attire and sticking out labels. I do it in the name of edumacation.
    14-inch difference.
    th_image_zps294208c6.jpg

Whatever your shape is, it's gorgeous. Lucky!
  • This this this! THIS!
    14-inch difference.
    th_image_zps294208c6.jpg

Whatever your shape is, it's gorgeous. Lucky!
    Blush blush smile! :bigsmile: :blushing: Thank you! :flowerforyou:
This discussion has been closed.