I hate jeans!

Options

Replies

• jvbrooks
    jvbrooks Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I am a history teacher so I know for a fact jeans were invented as tough durable pants for workers/farmers. But somehow over the last 100+ years, they have become an American clothing staple.

TBH, I'm a little unsure how this is relevant?
  • PippiNe
    PippiNe Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    A MUST READ TO AVOID "LONG BUTT" MOM JEANS:

When I was a size 12, I hated jeans too. The only pairs that I could find to fit gave me the dreaded "Long Butt Syndrome" that many mom's have. Then one day I was searching the internet and stumbled across this blog "Mom Jeans and the Dreaded Long Butt". Someone actually took the time to explain how to shop for and find jeans that were flattering to your butt and figure. The blog was sooooo funny and well written, I feel the need to share and educate anyone here who was in the same boat as me unaware that it was my jean choices that made my butt look awful, not necessarily my butt itself!

Below is the link to the original post, and she also has a plus-size sequel to this blog. Well worth your 5 minutes to read this, it will change the way you shop for jeans forever! Even now that I'm a size 6, I'm still using her tips to shop for jeans, and yes, I found an amazing pair that I totally love. Hope this helps all you jean haters of the world ;o)

http://www.graspingforobjectivity.com/2009/03/mom-jeans-and-dreaded-long-butt.html
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    :huh: Well, if you don't like them, don't wear them. It's no big deal. Every office that I've ever worked in has had a casual dress code, so out of the past 14 or so years that I've been working, I've worn jeans and tennis shoes to work each day, except maybe five times when we had scheduled client visits. At my current job, casual attire is only allowed on Fridays or during certain seasons, and it took me so long to finally wear jeans that people would say something about me wearing jeans if they saw me in them. I've only done it maybe three times at this company. I just don't find it appealing anymore, and I don't judge people who wear them. It's just not for me. I don't even wear them outside of work.
  • Lucy_6678
    Lucy_6678 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I am a history teacher so I know for a fact jeans were invented as tough durable pants for workers/farmers. But somehow over the last 100+ years, they have become an American clothing staple.

They were CREATED to be working pants for laborers, farmers, and miners! They were made of durable material and held together with metal rivets to be stronger than other pants sewn together. My historical point is that jeans were never created to be worn as fashion as we do now.
  • teamAmelia
    Options
    I hate shopping for jeans, as I always have the issue of the butt and legs being way to big on me. I FINALLY found a pair at JCP last week and when I put them on I swear, light was shining down on me in the fitting room and I know there were angels singing. But really, there was a large woman singing gospel in the fitting room next to me.

tumblr_inline_mf7xwcqUjD1ry4qim.gif

I was ticked because everything was on sale, except those jeans. I am on a tight budget, have no fitting jeans and just couldn't spend $52 on a pair when I really needed to get some work clothes. I just had to ask and they WERE on clearance, just not marked.

So yes, I love my new jeans!

:laugh: at this whole thing. It was a large woman singing? Really? :laugh: When I wanted jeans, I always had to go to JCP, and surprisingly, I bought them from the juniors department. The problem with me is finding pants that are long enough, and their pants go up to a 19 in tall and they're CHEAP. Whenever I go there, Arizona jeans are $20!
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I agree it can be hard to find a pair of jeans that fits well, but I really love to wear jeans! For me, it probably harkens back to my childhood-tomboy days, when my mom put so much effort in trying to make me girly (didn't work). She didn't let me wear jeans very often, so when I did, it was a real treat. Of course, by the time I reached high school, that's about all I wore! Now that I'm in my 50's, I still feel great when I can wear a nice, worn, comfy pair of jeans.

To find a good fit, check out NYDJ (Not Your Daughter's Jeans). They can be pricey new, but I've found them pretty cheap on eBay and in consignment shops. They are designed for adult women's bodies and generally have a fit for most of us.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    When I was at my biggest I hated jeans and lived in sweat pants. Now I love my jean's especially my kapri jean pants. I love my tight jeans to wear out.

My entire love for clothes is different now that I've lost weight and started getting fit. I wear things now I never thought I would wear.
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options

When I was a size 12, I hated jeans too. The only pairs that I could find to fit gave me the dreaded "Long Butt Syndrome" that many mom's have. Then one day I was searching the internet and stumbled across this blog "Mom Jeans and the Dreaded Long Butt". Someone actually took the time to explain how to shop for and find jeans that were flattering to your butt and figure. The blog was sooooo funny and well written, I feel the need to share and educate anyone here who was in the same boat as me unaware that it was my jean choices that made my butt look awful, not necessarily my butt itself!

Below is the link to the original post, and she also has a plus-size sequel to this blog. Well worth your 5 minutes to read this, it will change the way you shop for jeans forever! Even now that I'm a size 6, I'm still using her tips to shop for jeans, and yes, I found an amazing pair that I totally love. Hope this helps all you jean haters of the world ;o)

http://www.graspingforobjectivity.com/2009/03/mom-jeans-and-dreaded-long-butt.html

LOVED the article (and the follow-on for post-50's)! I'm going to have to evaluate my jeans collection!:ohwell:
  • AprilSchulte10
    AprilSchulte10 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    i dont hate jeans. but they do not fit my body well. i have a big stomach and no *kitten*. it just doesnt work well. i probably havent worn jeans in over 7 years. luckily i can wear shorts to my awesome job. but that is the thing i look most forward to, is wearing JEANS. i cant wait!!!

ditto...no *kitten*! flat flat flat!
  • teamAmelia
    Options

They were CREATED to be working pants for laborers, farmers, and miners! They were made of durable material and held together with metal rivets to be stronger than other pants sewn together. My historical point is that jeans were never created to be worn as fashion as we do now.

But, they're fashionable...so, people wear them. People wear fancy sunglasses when they don't need to. A lot of things are used in ways that they weren't meant to be used. No biggie.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    The Madeline Jean by Lee is my favorite.They cover the behind without gaping and are higher up by the waist and boot cut for a flattering line. They feel better than the pajama Jean.I order them from Kohls.com. They do fade in the wash so wash them with other jeans only!

They're on sale now if you're looking to get another pair! I just noticed when googling them!
    They are on sale for 24.99 . I ordered 2 more pair.

Sweet!
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I'm loving maxi-dresses lately. So comfy and good for work or going out.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I hate shopping for jeans, as I always have the issue of the butt and legs being way to big on me. I FINALLY found a pair at JCP last week and when I put them on I swear, light was shining down on me in the fitting room and I know there were angels singing. But really, there was a large woman singing gospel in the fitting room next to me.

tumblr_inline_mf7xwcqUjD1ry4qim.gif

I was ticked because everything was on sale, except those jeans. I am on a tight budget, have no fitting jeans and just couldn't spend $52 on a pair when I really needed to get some work clothes. I just had to ask and they WERE on clearance, just not marked.

So yes, I love my new jeans!

:laugh: at this whole thing. It was a large woman singing? Really? :laugh: When I wanted jeans, I always had to go to JCP, and surprisingly, I bought them from the juniors department. The problem with me is finding pants that are long enough, and their pants go up to a 19 in tall and they're CHEAP. Whenever I go there, Arizona jeans are $20!

Yep. It was Sunday at 11am and she was dressed up so I assume she had just come from church. She had a big, booming voice. :laugh:

I just started shopping there when I discovered their cute work clothes and they always have good sales. And I can even wear some of their juniors.. Maybe I should check out their jeans too!
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    i :heart: jeans
  • ea101367
    ea101367 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    The only things I hate about jeans these days are: they all are now stretchy and hold nothing in, the legs are never big enough for real women who actually have thighs and living in Canada it is very hard to find them long enough in the leg for anyone over 5"7"! ( although it is getting better)
  • lavaughan69
    lavaughan69 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I've had your stats! I started out at 5'5" 182 and now I'm 148. I wore jeans through out the sizes but didn't truly feel comfortable in them. They are a great incentive pant though. Not much give to them, so they help remind you that you're not at goal and you have to stick with it.

I found shopping for jeans to be a nightmare, so I know where you're coming from. Try to avoid low rise, which now that higher waist pants are coming back in style you should be able to find a pair. Go with a straight leg, dark jean with no fading if possible. Has a nice thinning effect.

Alternatively, go to old navy and grab a pair of beige khaki pants. They transition well from work clothes to casual wear.

I still remember hitting 156 and putting on a pair of jeans that made me feel so thin and sexy. So you're almost there! Jean love is in your near future!
  • Naomi0504
    Naomi0504 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Old Navy Flirt bootcut and Old Navy Rockstar super skinny are my faves. I mostly wear dresses, but I do love these jeans, and they're not too $$ either :smile:
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    To anyone who thinks that fitting problems with jeans can be solved with tailoring, forget it. All those rivets and reinforced seams make doing a neat alteration on most jeans impossible. You can sew a couple of darts to take in the waist, and have lumpy jeans, if that doesn't bother you.
  • PippiNe
    PippiNe Posts: 283 Member
    Options

LOVED the article (and the follow-on for post-50's)! I'm going to have to evaluate my jeans collection!:ohwell:

I had to too, and discovered all I owned were "Mom Jeans", in fact, I had several pairs of the Riders that were on the model in the article. Needless to say, I went on a mission to find more flattering jeans after that. I found a pair at Maurices that fit me well and took off 10 years :o)
  • Luvmesumkenny
    Luvmesumkenny Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I can't say I've ever heard of anyone who hates jeans so much. I think they're awesome. Why do you hate them so much? They're just pants!

Paige brand jeans are my favorite. They make your *kitten* look amazing.

When I was a Size 14 I wore Torrid Brand. They fit Amazing and Slimmed my tummy.
    Now I'm between a Size 12-10 I LOVE VICTORIA SECRET Jeans. They hug your curves in all the right places, have tummy control and even go up to a size 16. AMAZING! You just have to try on different brands, You will be Amazed how far the jean has come.
This discussion has been closed.