What role does faith play into fitness?

Options
Just wondering what role, if any, your faith plays into why you want to get fit and how you incorporate it.

Replies

• StrictlyPro
    Options
    I have faith that eating big and lifting big leads to getting big, so I eat big and lift big.
  • feelin_gr_8
    feelin_gr_8 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I believe faith plays a role, but I have seen these threads get offensive and shot down. Get ready to be mocked.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    There were a few times I prayed for it to rain so I would feel cooler. Then again last half marathon we were delayed for an hour and it still rained the first 8-10 miles and I prayed it would cease raining.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    None, I'm on my own!
  • TechOutside
    TechOutside Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Faith is something that drives me to be a better person overall, including my fitness.
  • iamanadult
    iamanadult Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I have faith in myself.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    My spiritual well being plays a large part in my overall well being...and thus it is a very important element of my overall health and fitness. But I have no particular faith per sei.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I believe faith plays a role, but I have seen these threads get offensive and shot down. Get ready to be mocked.

True, but anyone who attacks someone for their religious or spiritual beliefs is tacky and disrespectful, so they're really just making themselves look bad.
  • LumpySpacePrincess1
    Options
    I do believe in a God, but I have a rule that anything regarding weight/exercise is up to me. I don't pray on it, praying wont shed pounds, move my legs or lift weights.
    If I do lousy I can't say "Oh, guess God wasn't listening. :sad: "
    I have faith in myself only for this particular goal. I just pray to not get shin splints XD
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    When I am at the gym I pray that a hot girl's top falls off.
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    It plays a tremendous role

george-michael-o.gif

Its my favorite song to listen to while Prancercising!!!
  • bartonjack
    bartonjack Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    God wants us to be the best we can be. I feel that being fit is part of that. How can we be at our best for Him if we allow our bodies to be run down and out of shape? Yes, we might be mocked for our faith, but that is ok. I know what awaits me after this earthly life; glorious heaven.
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    I do believe in a God, but I have a rule that anything regarding weight/exercise is up to me. I don't pray on it, praying wont shed pounds, move my legs or lift weights.
    If I do lousy I can't say "Oh, guess God wasn't listening. :sad: "
    I have faith in myself only for this particular goal. I just pray to not get shin splints XD

So much this.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    When I am at the gym I pray that a hot girl's top falls off.

:huh:
  • brraanndi
    brraanndi Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Only faith I have is faith in myself to get the job done.

I have the tools thanks to MFP to help me suceed. No higher power needed.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    This might not end well....
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I am not a religious person but I was raised one.

It's like that story of the man stranded on a roof during a flood who prayed to be helped by the all mighty (whomever that is) and a canoe comes by...nope God will save me, boat comes by...nope God will save me...Helicopter comes by...nope God will save me.

Reaches the pearly gates and says...God why didn't you save me? Response from God...WTH I sent you a canoe, a boat and a helicopter...

We are given the tools we need it's up to us to use them and that only requires faith in ourselves, motivation and a willingness to accept where we are and that we need to be better.

ETA: and the smarts to know when you are given the tools you need.
  • strongmindstrongbody
    Options
    My lack of faith is actually what drives me to be fit. With no afterlife to imagine, I've got to make the best of this life I have now.