What role does faith play into fitness?

Options

Replies

• Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    For me, none.

I am not religious, nor am I particularly spiritual. I don't believe everything happens for a reason and I don't believe we are being guided by a greater being. Having said that, I have nothing but respect for those who find comfort in their faith. I think faith is a lovely thing, but my brain just doesn't work that way.

Whatever helps people get through life whilst, doing the least amount of damage to others, is okay by me.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    it doesn't.

not for me.

I don't hope or have faith of what I will accomplish. I hunker down and DO in order to accomplish.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I have faith in the craftsmanship of my shoes, GPS satellite link of my Garmin, and charge level of my iPod. So yeah, a pretty large role.
  • KarateMadMum
    Options
    Faith doesnt have to mean religious faith surely?

You can have faith in a multitude of things... hopefully yourself being the #1 you have faith in
  • TechOutside
    TechOutside Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Wikipedia:

Faith is confidence or trust in a person, thing, deity, or in the doctrines or teachings of a religion or view (e.g. having strong political faith). It can also be belief that is not based on proof.[1] The word faith is often used as a substitute for hope, trust or belief.
    In religion, faith often involves accepting claims about the character of a deity, nature, or the universe. While some have argued that faith is opposed to reason, proponents of faith argue that the proper domain of faith concerns questions which cannot be settled by evidence.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    Faith doesnt have to mean religious faith surely?

You can have faith in a multitude of things... hopefully yourself being the #1 you have faith in

game/set/match...

however to me faith implies a hope in that certain checks and balances will come together in order for fitness goals to ensue...

whereas I feel that I don't hope, I MAKE them come together in order to reach my goals,

i MAKE sure my shoes are in working order, I make sure I have my GPS I make sure I make time to work out, I make sure I eat well...i make sure.....

you know?
  • KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I have faith in myself, faith in my body's ability to do whatever I set my mind to, and faith in my own mental and physical strength. That's how it works in my fitness routine.
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    The OP never specified any particular type of faith...just faith itself.
    I am not religious. I believe in God, but I don't believe in the church. That being said, I have faith becuase it is what gets me through the day. Not faith in God, but faith that tomorrow will be better than today. That with each choice I make, I am going to do everything I can to live a healthier lifestyle in order to be around for my kids. Faith in myself, that I can make it to the finish line. I think faith is all a matter of perspective.
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    I mostly just look to my macros, and then try to move some too.
  • Geminieve24
    Geminieve24 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I believe in myself. Noone can do this but me. If there is no will within or desire to make the changes, all the praying or having faith in anything outside one's self won't do anyone any good.
  • Brutmar
    Options
    God wants us to be the best we can be. I feel that being fit is part of that. How can we be at our best for Him if we allow our bodies to be run down and out of shape? Yes, we might be mocked for our faith, but that is ok. I know what awaits me after this earthly life; glorious heaven.

Amen! :smile:
  • kmccormick42
    kmccormick42 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    While I don't actively pray for weight loss, I do thank God for my good health that enables me to exercise and have fun w/ my family. I walk quite a bit on my treadmill and it's not uncommon for me to use this time to pray/talk to God. It's some quiet time for me even though I'm working.
  • TechOutside
    TechOutside Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I don't prescribe to any religion specifically but I have faith, I simply just don't think any of us have the answers but we will all find out one way or the other in the end, of that I am certain.
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    I think the devil definently will try to make you feel down or discouraged or bad about yourself. Faith can combat that and help you to continue on in whatever you are doing be it fitness or whatever. I think that its easy to get discouraged especially when trying to lose weight or when trying to do something where the results don't come super quickly. I think faith most definently can help with that and good health and taking care of the body God gave you also will enable you to do alot more things for alot longer. That is my opinion anyways and why I think its very important in relation to fitness.
  • StrictlyPro
    Options
    Being unhealthy will get you to heaven quicker. Just sayin'
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Religious or not religious, what the hell does faith have with exercise? When you walk up to a squat rack for a heavy single you better have faith in YOURSELF because no matter how much you pray and no matter how much "laying of hands" your training partner does on you, Jesus ain't gonna' save you from being crushed by that weight if you f-up. With all the problems this planet faces and who knows what else is going on in the universe, God, Allah, Jesus (or whichever faith you believe in) has bigger problems to address that what we do in the gym.

Have faith in yourself!
    True, but anyone who attacks someone for their religious or spiritual beliefs is tacky and disrespectful, so they're really just making themselves look bad.

There are only a few reasons I would directly attack somebody for being religious.
    1. They rely solely on prayer to "help" their self with a problem and take no steps themselves to resolve an issue. i.e. Like they're waiting for Jesus to swoop down, remove the abusive husband from the home and make everything right.
    2. It causes discrimination. No matter what we interpret a religious work to read, at the end of the day God said to love thy neighbor and there were no disclaimers in that message.
    3. Violence in the name of religion
    Being unhealthy will get you to heaven quicker. Just sayin'

That's not even remotely true. You can easily Google a list of professional and olympic athletes that have died well before their time. Sometimes when it's your time, it's your time.
  • Tessyloowhoo
    Options
    i prayed all my fat away... kind of like a fat exorcism
    43359607.png[/url]
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Just wondering what role, if any, your faith plays into why you want to get fit and how you incorporate it.

A lot. I have faith in myself that I can finish that lift.

I have faith that I won't quit because the last 200 yards is hard.

I have faith that as soon as I heal I'll be back on it.

Without faith, I wouldn't work out.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    For me, faith = mind over matter when it comes to fitness.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    It plays a tremendous role

george-michael-o.gif

Its my favorite song to listen to while Prancercising!!!
    So much win.