What role does faith play into fitness?

Options

Replies

• GuybrushThreepw00d
    Options
    Well I guess it would be nice, If I could touch your body. I know not everybody has got a body like you
    But I've got to think twice before I give my heart away and I know all the games you play because I play them too.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

didn't mean to imply that it did. but searching for groups under "faith" turned up almost nothing. so i took my best guess. either way, it lets the OP know there are tons of groups where he can get tons of support and talk freely and openly about whatever his faith may actually be.

trying to discuss faith on the open forums, whatever that actual faith may be, can lead to a baaaaaaaad time.
  • misti777
    misti777 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Well, I am christian. The bible teaches us that because the holy spirit is within us and that we are made in god's image we should take care of our bodies. For me, that is part of the reason I want to get fit and eat healthy.
  • TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I wish I could do it on my own. Faith is huge for me.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I don't rely on faith, I prefer logic.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    There were a few times I prayed for it to rain so I would feel cooler. Then again last half marathon we were delayed for an hour and it still rained the first 8-10 miles and I prayed it would cease raining.

I've heard you want it both ways. OK, dreamed, but still, I have faith.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    Faith doesnt have to mean religious faith surely?

You can have faith in a multitude of things... hopefully yourself being the #1 you have faith in

game/set/match...

however to me faith implies a hope in that certain checks and balances will come together in order for fitness goals to ensue...

whereas I feel that I don't hope, I MAKE them come together in order to reach my goals,

i MAKE sure my shoes are in working order, I make sure I have my GPS I make sure I make time to work out, I make sure I eat well...i make sure.....

you know?

Faith in yourself and your ability to get *kitten* done
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Faith doesnt have to mean religious faith surely?

You can have faith in a multitude of things... hopefully yourself being the #1 you have faith in

game/set/match...

however to me faith implies a hope in that certain checks and balances will come together in order for fitness goals to ensue...

whereas I feel that I don't hope, I MAKE them come together in order to reach my goals,

i MAKE sure my shoes are in working order, I make sure I have my GPS I make sure I make time to work out, I make sure I eat well...i make sure.....

you know?

Are you sure we're not twins? Sisters at least?

You took the words right out of my mouth.
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    For me, none.

I am not religious, nor am I particularly spiritual. I don't believe everything happens for a reason and I don't believe we are being guided by a greater being. Having said that, I have nothing but respect for those who find comfort in their faith. I think faith is a lovely thing, but my brain just doesn't work that way.

Whatever helps people get through life whilst, doing the least amount of damage to others, is okay by me.

this. i am quite envious of people who have their faith to hold onto in tough times. i do not believe in a deity.

i have faith in myself. i do the work and believe in me. the thing that keeps me pushing is knowing that by doing this i have a greater chance to get to see my kids grow up and meet my grandkids.

i don't think that faith is necessarily to do with religion. you can put your trust in many things. i choose to place my belief in myself.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I don't rely on faith, I prefer logic.

This. Logic tells me that if I overeat and don't move, I will get fat. Therefore I do the exact opposite. LOGIC FTW
  • tapirfrog
    tapirfrog Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Why do you ask?
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    If I am being timed when in a plank position or wall sit, I take the opportunity to close my eyes and focus on some praying. It totally centers one's energies and helps remove the thoughts of failure.
  • Mobilemuscle
    Mobilemuscle Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    it gave us a 300lb 8x Mr.O with a striated *kitten*....
  • southerndream24
    southerndream24 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I have faith in the craftsmanship of my shoes, GPS satellite link of my Garmin, and charge level of my iPod. So yeah, a pretty large role.

This!!!!
  • bugtaylor
    bugtaylor Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    No one has to defend God he can handle it and prove himself . Watch when the next crisis happens......
  • Jleonra
    Options
    None, I don't believe in a higher power.

I prefer hard work, discipline and knowledge.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    I have faith in myself.

this
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I have faith in my ability to see my goals through with hard work.
  • FixIngMe13
    FixIngMe13 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I personally listen to Contemporary Christian music when I work out. I don't need "fast/upbeat" music all the time to get motivated and moving. All I need is my ipod, a road/sidewalk and my sneakers. I personally find that Christian music revitalizes me... gets me grounded...and I feel much better spiritually and emotionally after a good walk. To each their own.... but it impacts my life, my workout a lot. There are times I'm so busy meditating and listening to the words of a song that I'm on mile 11 and not even tired. To me it is very important.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    none...we are all on our own