Is there a difference between Brown and White rice

Options

Replies

• Sean_The_IT_Guy
    Options
    The difference is the same as a whole wheat kernel vs the result of white flour production. The brown rice has the external jacket, the germ (baby plant), and the endosperm (white starchy fuel tank for the plant the kernel could become). The white rice is the same plant, but with the germ and jacket removed, so it's just the white starchy fuel source. White rice cooks quicker and more tender because the jacket is removed, but lacks the nutrients and fiber contained in the jacket and germ.

White rice has very little nutritional value besides as an energy source, when compared to the natural form of the grain (brown rice).
  • sunsetzen
    sunsetzen Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    http://www.globalhealingcenter.com/natural-health/brown-rice/

Rice that has been stripped of its natural wholeness has been stripped of its fiber, proteins, thiamine, calcium, magnesium and potassium. It is commonly known how important fiber is for digestive health and maintaining a healthy weight

1. Brown Rice is Rich in Selenium
    Extremely high in selenium, an important trace mineral known to drastically reduce our chances of developing many illnesses.

2. Brown Rice is Very High in Manganese
    One cup of brown rice provides over 80% of our daily manganese requirements. This mineral helps the human body create the important fatty acids that make healthy forms of cholesterol. It is also beneficial to the health of our nervous and reproductive systems.

3. Brown Rice Holds Naturally Occurring Oils
    These heart-healthy oils are naturally found in brown rice and can help the body reduce LDL forms of cholesterol.

4. Brown Rice Promotes Weight Loss
    Because of its fiber-richness and ability to keep healthy bowel function, brown rice “keeps things moving” in a way that promotes weight-loss and metabolic function. After one bowl of brown rice, you’ll feel more full despite eating a smaller amount of food.

5. Brown Rice is a Whole Grain
    Unlike white rice, brown rice has not lost its wholeness. Studies show that six servings of whole grains weekly can lower the creation of arterial plaque build-up and reduce chances of developing heart disease and high cholesterol.

6. Brown Rice is an Antioxidant
    Most people associate antioxidants with blueberries and green tea, but many are unaware that brown rice is also a source of antioxidants.

7. Brown Rice is Very High in Fiber
    Studies have correlated the high use of whole grains like brown rice with lowered levels of colon cancer. This may be related to its high fiber content. Studies show that fiber actually attaches to cancer-causing substances and toxins, helping to eliminate them from the body, and keeping them from attaching to the cells in our colon. Brown rice also contains the necessary components to stabilize digestion, prevent/relieve constipation and promote proper elimination/bowel function.

8. Brown Rice is a Slow-Release Sugar
    Unlike stripped rice, brown rice can help keep blood sugar stabilized as it releases sugars slowly and in a sustained fashion. This makes it a better option for diabetics, as compared to white rice. While studies in Asia have shown a link between the consumption of white rice and risk of type 2 diabetes, new research shows that individuals who eat at least two servings of brown rice weekly can reduce their chances of developing diabetes 2 by up to 11 percent.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    I've heard different things from different people is there really a difference health why's? I want to put in both with my bulking just want to know if there is difference?

If you look at the nutrition label between the two, there are very slight differences.

From a carb aspect, there is no difference......I found this out recently by doing a lot of reading, so my entire thinking on carbs has changed.

While chemically, two foods sitting on the table, a bowl of cereal or a sweet potato, have a different chemical bond for carbs......once you consume them, and they are in the body.
    Your body handles both the same way.
    So a carb from a potato/rice is no different than a carb from skittles.

So if you need to get 23gr of carbs in your system, you can go with either option....

The only difference between brown and white rice that MAY be of note....is the fiber content in brown is a bit higher.....I think 3 gr.
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    A quick google "research" will show that brown rice is higher in phytic acid which blocks the absorption of minerals. Due to its high fibre content you also don't absorb as much protein.
    As one article says, it's not what you eat it what's you absorb.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Eat whichever one you enjoy more. The nutritional differences between them are too minor to be of note.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    If you care to do some reading about wht/brown rice, here are some studies.

Comparison of the nutritional value between brown rice and white rice

Callegaro Mda D, Tirapegui J. Arq Gastroenterol. 1996 Oct-Dec;33(4):225-31.

Cereals are considered an important source of nutrients both in human and animal nourishment. In this paper nutritional value of brown rice is compared to that of white rice in relation to nutrients. Results show that despite higher nutrients contents of brown rice compared to white rice, experimental data does not provide evidence that the brown rice diet is better than the diet based on white rice. Possible antinutritional factors present in brown rice have adverse effects on bioavailability of this cereal nutrients.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9302338?ordinalpos=1&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DefaultReportPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

Effects of brown rice on apparent digestibility and balance of nutrients in young men on low protein diets

J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo). 1987 Jun;33(3):207-18. .Miyoshi H, Okuda T, Okuda K, Koishi H.

The effect of brown rice with low protein intake was studied in five healthy young men. Feces were weighed, the digestibility of nutrients was determined, and blood tests were made. Each subject followed a diet consisting mainly of polished rice for 14 days and one consisting mainly of brown rice for 8 days. Both diets contained 0.5 g protein per kg of body weight. The brown rice diet had 3 times as much dietary fiber as the polished rice diet. On the brown rice diet, fecal weight increased, and apparent digestibility of energy, protein, and fat decreased, as did the absorption rates of Na, K, and P. The nitrogen balance was negative on both diets, but more negative on the brown rice diet. The phosphorus balance on the brown rice diet was significantly negative, but other minerals were not affected by the diet. The levels of cholesterol and minerals in the plasma were not significantly different on the polished rice diet and the brown rice diet. Comparing these results with data on standard protein intake (Miyoshi, H. et al (1986) J. Nutr. Sci. Vitaminol., 32, 581-589.), we concluded that brown rice reduced protein digestibility and nitrogen balance.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2822877?ordinalpos=2&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DefaultReportPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    White rice tastes better!

This.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    White rice tastes better!

This.

:laugh: :laugh:

So true, that is why I think people go brown so they don't eat too much.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Brown rice includes part of the outer husk and is lower on the glycemic index than white rice. White rice turns very quickly into sugar in your digestive system, and that is a problem for diabetics. My husband's diabetic doctor asked him to stay away from white rice and use brown rice or quinoa instead for improved nutrition and more stable blood sugar with fewer spikes.

What if I'm not diabetic?

If you're not diabetic it is probably less critical as an issue, but it will still impact you to an extent. Think about Halloween candy hangovers, and add white rice to your list of candy. You decide. :wink:
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    White rice just tastes better.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    Are you saying that eating white rice is the same as eating some candy?

It would seem that between sugars, the body does not differentiate...

It processes it all the same....regardless of chemical bonds outside the body.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    Brown rice includes part of the outer husk and is lower on the glycemic index than white rice. White rice turns very quickly into sugar in your digestive system, and that is a problem for diabetics. My husband's diabetic doctor asked him to stay away from white rice and use brown rice or quinoa instead for improved nutrition and more stable blood sugar with fewer spikes.

What if I'm not diabetic?

If you're not diabetic it is probably less critical as an issue, but it will still impact you to an extent. Think about Halloween candy hangovers, and add white rice to your list of candy. You decide. :wink:
    That logic would dictate fruit is the devil.
  • boredlimodriver
    boredlimodriver Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    yea, one tastes good, the other doesnt. brown rice, yuck
  • awtume9
    awtume9 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Brown rice is gross, thats what.

indubitably.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    One has slightly more nutrient value than the other.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Personal taste preferences aside (because really what difference does it make what others like??) Fiber and the affect on blood sugar levels is the biggest difference.

http://diabetes.webmd.com/news/20100614/brown-rice-vs-white-rice-which-is-better
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    They both have their benefits and their place in meals. Depends on what I'm cooking for dinner. I would use white rice if I wanted fried rice or sushi. And would use brown if I was looking for the nutty flavor to complement a protein or veggie. I don't get too hung up on which one is better, like I said, they both have their place if you really wanna split hairs. Look at it from a taste perspective. Which do YOU prefer?
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    White rice tastes awesome.

Brown rice tastes awesomer.
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Brown rice is a complex while white rice a simple carb.
    r u serious?