Is there a difference between Brown and White rice

Options

Replies

• mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    If you care to do some reading about wht/brown rice, here are some studies.

Comparison of the nutritional value between brown rice and white rice

Callegaro Mda D, Tirapegui J. Arq Gastroenterol. 1996 Oct-Dec;33(4):225-31.

Cereals are considered an important source of nutrients both in human and animal nourishment. In this paper nutritional value of brown rice is compared to that of white rice in relation to nutrients. Results show that despite higher nutrients contents of brown rice compared to white rice, experimental data does not provide evidence that the brown rice diet is better than the diet based on white rice. Possible antinutritional factors present in brown rice have adverse effects on bioavailability of this cereal nutrients.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9302338?ordinalpos=1&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DefaultReportPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

Effects of brown rice on apparent digestibility and balance of nutrients in young men on low protein diets

J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo). 1987 Jun;33(3):207-18. .Miyoshi H, Okuda T, Okuda K, Koishi H.

The effect of brown rice with low protein intake was studied in five healthy young men. Feces were weighed, the digestibility of nutrients was determined, and blood tests were made. Each subject followed a diet consisting mainly of polished rice for 14 days and one consisting mainly of brown rice for 8 days. Both diets contained 0.5 g protein per kg of body weight. The brown rice diet had 3 times as much dietary fiber as the polished rice diet. On the brown rice diet, fecal weight increased, and apparent digestibility of energy, protein, and fat decreased, as did the absorption rates of Na, K, and P. The nitrogen balance was negative on both diets, but more negative on the brown rice diet. The phosphorus balance on the brown rice diet was significantly negative, but other minerals were not affected by the diet. The levels of cholesterol and minerals in the plasma were not significantly different on the polished rice diet and the brown rice diet. Comparing these results with data on standard protein intake (Miyoshi, H. et al (1986) J. Nutr. Sci. Vitaminol., 32, 581-589.), we concluded that brown rice reduced protein digestibility and nitrogen balance.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2822877?ordinalpos=2&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DefaultReportPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

^^^^This.
    bill_murray_ghostbusters.gif
  • RuleFive
    RuleFive Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    4 billion Asians can't be wrong.
  • TheRealJigsaw
    TheRealJigsaw Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Yep. ;One is brown while the other is white
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    So you're saying that if my daily meals include egg whites, awl whole egg, bacon, bread, peanut butter, chicken breasts, Talapia, sweet potato, avocado and asparagus but I eat white rice instead of brown rice I wont be as healthy?

Technically speaking, you wouldn't be getting as many nutrients. People have different definitions of healthy.
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    There are some terrible, and I mean terrible, brands of brown rice out there. Costco up here in Canada sells a particularly awful brand of brown rice that I'm sure have completely turned thousands of people away from brown rice forever.

Try Kokuho brown rice.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Nope
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    Alan Aragon:

"7) Brown Rice, Whole Wheat Anti-Nutrient – the idea those versions of foods that are deemed very “healthy” for you are filled with anti-nutrients that actually inhibit the absorption of nutrients/vitamins/minerals in your body, rendering them mostly nothing more than overpriced versions of their processed counterparts (white bread/white rice). Any truth to this?

Alan: Yes. Research comparing them head-to-head has found brown rice to be inferior for nitrogen retention, and no better in terms of bioavailability of essential micronutrients. People make all kinds of assumptions about the superiority of brown rice that just isn’t true".

I read an interview where he also said that unless you are only eating rice ......eating brown or white will not make a damn bit of difference over a lifetime.

Personally I like brown rice....I put some Bragg's Low sodium liquid soy seasoning in it to make it tasty.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    For those who don't know, pretty much anything Aragon says can be taken as gospel. The dude is pretty much totally unbiased. He has no agenda to sell, he is highly educated, and spends damn near all day doing nothing but reading and critiquing nutrition studies. He doesn't say anything unless he's gotten totally convinced by the literature, and he's never afraid to change his opinions if that's what the science shows.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I read an interview where he also said that unless you are only eating rice ......eating brown or white will not make a damn bit of difference over a lifetime.

And how exactly would he know this?
  • MityMax96
    Options
    Alan Aragon:

"7) Brown Rice, Whole Wheat Anti-Nutrient – the idea those versions of foods that are deemed very “healthy” for you are filled with anti-nutrients that actually inhibit the absorption of nutrients/vitamins/minerals in your body, rendering them mostly nothing more than overpriced versions of their processed counterparts (white bread/white rice). Any truth to this?

Alan: Yes. Research comparing them head-to-head has found brown rice to be inferior for nitrogen retention, and no better in terms of bioavailability of essential micronutrients. People make all kinds of assumptions about the superiority of brown rice that just isn’t true".

Personally I like brown rice....I put some Bragg's Low sodium liquid soy seasoning in it to make it tasty.

I saw that....I think he said it would take over 2 lifetimes to see any benefit of one over the other :laugh:
  • MityMax96
    Options

The difference between the two is so negligible, that it would take too long for any issues to show up.

Based on what was also said, and how brown rice can inhibit nutrient absorption.
  • bcattoes
    Options

The difference between the two is so negligible, that it would take too long for any issues to show up.

Based on what was also said, and how brown rice can inhibit nutrient absorption.

But it's a ridiculous statement. How long is a lifetime? Is this lack of difference true for everyone? If brown rice is my main source of fiber, can he categorically state that giving up the fiber would make no difference? If I'm diabetic, would the difference in blood sugar spikes between the two make no difference?

He may have had more to say on the subject that covered these and many other questions that pertain to varying lifespans and individual needs, but that statement in and of itself is complete hogwash.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    I will go by the good book....for lifetime....so 70 yrs.
    So two lifetimes, 140 yrs
  • MityMax96
    Options
    BTW
    I just put some white rice in my rice cooker....and when it is done....I will be eating a cup of it. :happy:
  • jonnythan
    Options

But it's a ridiculous statement. How long is a lifetime? Is this lack of difference true for everyone? If brown rice is my main source of fiber, can he categorically state that giving up the fiber would make no difference? If I'm diabetic, would the difference in blood sugar spikes between the two make no difference?

He may have had more to say on the subject that covered these and many other questions that pertain to varying lifespans and individual needs, but that statement in and of itself is complete hogwash.

From the time you are born until the time you die. That's your lifetime.

If brown rice is your main source of fiber, then you have some major dietary issues that need to be addressed.
  • bcattoes
    Options

If brown rice is your main source of fiber, then you have some major dietary issues that need to be addressed.

None of which makes the statement any less ridiculous.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    BTW
    I just put some white rice in my rice cooker....and when it is done....I will be eating a cup of it. :happy:

Okay. Thanks for alerting us.
  • rich347
    rich347 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    One is Tan(ish) like Brooklyn's beautiful skin the other is White like her amazing Teeth?
  • jonnythan
    Options

None of which makes the statement any less ridiculous.

It is not a ridiculous statement. It is his (expert) opinion. And it's an entirely reasonable one.