Is there a difference between Brown and White rice

Options

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I read an interview where he also said that unless you are only eating rice ......eating brown or white will not make a damn bit of difference over a lifetime.

And how exactly would he know this?

The difference between the two is so negligible, that it would take too long for any issues to show up.

Based on what was also said, and how brown rice can inhibit nutrient absorption.

But it's a ridiculous statement. How long is a lifetime? Is this lack of difference true for everyone? If brown rice is my main source of fiber, can he categorically state that giving up the fiber would make no difference? If I'm diabetic, would the difference in blood sugar spikes between the two make no difference?

He may have had more to say on the subject that covered these and many other questions that pertain to varying lifespans and individual needs, but that statement in and of itself is complete hogwash.

From the time you are born until the time you die. That's your lifetime.

If brown rice is your main source of fiber, then you have some major dietary issues that need to be addressed.

None of which makes the statement any less ridiculous.

It is not a ridiculous statement. It is his (expert) opinion. And it's an entirely reasonable one.

No, it's completely unreasonable to lump every individual, regardless of diet, lifestyle, lifespan, disease, family history, and the millions of other things that differentiate us into one category and say "this is true for all of you".
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    I am thinking his point was.....
    If you were going to have rice, and your choice is between white or brown.....
    It really will not matter in the grand scheme of things......so don't sweat it over which one you should eat for optimal gain of goals.....in the end both are gonna perform in your body the same.......unless that was all you were consuming over many years.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Very little matters if it's a small part of intake and a person has a balanced diet. Tons of overlap on everything.

If I want a bit more fiber, I choose brown rice. It has a bit more fiber. If I don't care, I might get white rice, or I might skip rice.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    Very little matters if it's a small part of intake and a person has a balanced diet. Tons of overlap on everything.

If I want a bit more fiber, I choose brown rice. It has a bit more fiber. If I don't care, I might get white rice, or I might skip rice.

Or just eat veggies to cover the need for fiber.... :smile:
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options

Or just eat veggies to cover the need for fiber.... :smile:

Or drink a smoothie. Or whatever. Foods have numbers. We see those numbers in this app. We can make choices based on numbers. Brown rice has slightly different numbers than white rice. If you want an extra 3g of fiber in your rice, you might choose brown. If you don't, then you don't.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It really will not matter in the grand scheme of things......so don't sweat it over which one you should eat for optimal gain of goals.....in the end both are gonna perform in your body the same.......unless that was all you were consuming over many years.

It could make a difference for those with insulin resistance.
  • AutumnisBSB
    AutumnisBSB Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    BTW
    I just put some white rice in my rice cooker....and when it is done....I will be eating a cup of it. :happy:

With butter and sugar? :)
  • chrismchoi
    Options
    Retract...
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options

Yep. Of course someone could take it the extreme and ask what if they ate nothing but rice for every meal but that is "ridiculous" not Aragons statement.

Simply replacing white rice for brown rice whenever you happen to eat it will have no short or long term effect on health. Even for diabetics the difference in GI between the two is small and then only when eaten in isolation from other foods. Once you add in fats and proteins the absorption rate changes.
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I agree with what most others have said here. Some may think that brown rice is gross, but they may not have had tried a good brand. There are some brands of brown rice that are too sticky, just like some brands of white rice are. I personally do not like sticky rice. The brand that I never have trouble with is Uncle Ben's whole grain brown rice. It's perfect every time. The Minute Rice brown rice also turns out very well, but is less value.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    BTW
    I just put some white rice in my rice cooker....and when it is done....I will be eating a cup of it. :happy:

With butter and sugar? :)

No. :(
    Just plain 'ol white asian rice.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    I agree with what most others have said here. Some may think that brown rice is gross, but they may not have had tried a good brand. There are some brands of brown rice that are too sticky, just like some brands of white rice are. I personally do not like sticky rice. The brand that I never have trouble with is Uncle Ben's whole grain brown rice. It's perfect every time. The Minute Rice brown rice also turns out very well, but is less value.

My wife is asian, so she got me hooked on sticky wht rice. Love it. :happy:
  • gabbygirl78
    gabbygirl78 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Brown rice is a complex while white rice a simple carb. Complex carbs break down into energy more slowly than white rice, thus, often recommended over simple carbs for sustained energy and also to regulate blood sugar and hunger.

So, brown rice is better than rice in almost all situations.

Good luck!

This!
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Brown rice is a complex while white rice a simple carb. Complex carbs break down into energy more slowly than white rice, thus, often recommended over simple carbs for sustained energy and also to regulate blood sugar and hunger.

So, brown rice is better than rice in almost all situations.

Good luck!

This!

Incorrect. They are both starches which are complex.
  • emczech5
    emczech5 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Brown rice takes about twice as long as white rice to cook.

tumblr_mjbe99xogs1rxahm2o1_500.jpg?w=590
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    So you're saying that if my daily meals include egg whites, awl whole egg, bacon, bread, peanut butter, chicken breasts, Talapia, sweet potato, avocado and asparagus but I eat white rice instead of brown rice I wont be as healthy?

Technically speaking, you wouldn't be getting as many nutrients. People have different definitions of healthy.

Yes but how big of a difference in nutrients. Is 1 cup of brown rice instead of white rice going to make much of a difference as far as nutrients considering I also take a multi vitamin every day?

Compare the nutrition facts yourself. All I said is that technically you won't be getting as many nutrients. Which is true, since white rice is stripped brown rice.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Brown rice takes about twice as long as white rice to cook.

tumblr_mjbe99xogs1rxahm2o1_500.jpg?w=590

Ha ha!
  • Yeller_Sensation
    Yeller_Sensation Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Besides color, taste and length of cooking time?

I am an Asian and I eat both.

Sticky white rice pairs superbly with my spicy coconut chicken curry.

Sushi is awesome with white rice.

I combine brown rice with quinoa, dried fruit and crushed almonds to pair with pan-fried salmon.

Cooked brown rice rocks in stews and soups that are loaded with meat.

Stuff peppers with cooked brown rice, garlic, melted butter and cheese.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    Besides color, taste and length of cooking time?

I am an Asian and I eat both.

Sticky white rice pairs superbly with my spicy coconut chicken curry.

Sushi is awesome with white rice.

I combine brown rice with quinoa, dried fruit and crushed almonds to pair with pan-fried salmon.

Cooked brown rice rocks in stews and soups that are loaded with meat.

Stuff peppers with cooked brown rice, garlic, melted butter and cheese.

:noway: :noway: :love: :love:
    Need to try some of that stuff.