Ever been described as "stocky"? How about "chubby"?

Options

Replies

• Livin4me1969
    Livin4me1969 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    When I was 285, three kids about 10, 7, and 5 walked behind me down the sidewalk, oinking like pigs, as I was walking from my car to the grocery store. Kinda wanted to knock them down and sit on them.

You should have followed them home and sat on their parents for not teaching them any better manners than that:smile:
  • emienne
    emienne Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    the most hurtful one I have had was from my dear foster mother. Sometimes she will speak without filters on and one day said to me that I need to do something about my weight or I will soon end up the size of the mother from the movie "What's Eating Gilbert Grape".
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    My 3 y.o. always asks where my pancia went?
  • DesireeNL
    DesireeNL Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    One of the most hurtful comments happened when I was in my mid-twenties. I arrived at a family party and my uncle shouted out LOUDLY "Hey your *kitten* is getting bigger every time I see you!"
    The next morning I left the house crying, at 6 am to go see a doctor for a referral to a dietician. (Unfortunately, that was not the beginning nor the end of my weight loss journey)

I've had comments from strangers about my appearance on the bus or while shopping. But that also happened to me when I was a slim teenager. These people have an antenna for those with low self-esteem and they think it's okay to boost their own confidence at someone else's expense.
  • MarineCodie
    MarineCodie Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I've been called "solid" which, at the time I hated... now I'd take it as a compliment.
  • Nix143
    Nix143 Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    My EX girlfriend called me 'dumpy' once............... :huh:
  • NattyJayne1991
    NattyJayne1991 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm normally called 'big boned'... drives me insane! Especially when my mum is trying to be 'kind' and says "You're not fat- you're big boned'... nope sorry mum I AM fat!
  • kallibrae
    kallibrae Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    There are soooo many names I've been called throughout my life. I have been heavy, chubby, chunky, plump, fat, overweight, big boned for the majority of my life.

I remember when I was in grade 4, i was walking home from school and I thought it started to rain, but no...a boy behind me that didn't like how fat I was, started to spit on me.
    Needless to say, I have pretty thick skin nowadays and look better than I ever have!
    Now it turns out, he's the chubbier one. :)
  • NattyJayne1991
    Options
  • NattyJayne1991
    Options
    One of the most hurtful comments happened when I was in my mid-twenties. I arrived at a family party and my uncle shouted out LOUDLY "Hey your *kitten* is getting bigger every time I see you!"
    The next morning I left the house crying, at 6 am to go see a doctor for a referral to a dietician. (Unfortunately, that was not the beginning nor the end of my weight loss journey)

I've had comments from strangers about my appearance on the bus or while shopping. But that also happened to me when I was a slim teenager. These people have an antenna for those with low self-esteem and they think it's okay to boost their own confidence at someone else's expense.

I'm sorry to hear that! It can be really hard sometimes when everyone seems to want to make comments about you or think they have the right to judge you.

I was once walking, up a very steep hill mind- not even out of breath, when this guy walked past me, put his hand on my shoulder and said 'you need to lose weight love'. I was livid! It's not for other people to make judgments and tell you how to live your life!
  • PJ_73
    PJ_73 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I am a shorty, too and don't carry extra weight well! I've been called porky, plump, cuddly and my current favourite, beefy!!

I popped in to a buy a paper last week and my friendly local shopkeeper (who incidentally I love!) said, "Well, you've...." and gesticulated with his hands. I prompted him with, "Put on a little weight?" and he said "Yes, you've gotten FAT". Well thanks!

Water off a plump duck's back!
  • burlingtongrl
    burlingtongrl Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    27, 5'0, started out at 205.

I've been called everything in the book, from just straight fat to "well developed" to any number of things. They all suck, but only as much as you let them.

Next time someone feels the need to be ... impolite... just remind yourself that you can fix your body but they can't fix their personality.
  • burlingtongrl
    burlingtongrl Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    So true! Love it.
    27, 5'0, started out at 205.

I've been called everything in the book, from just straight fat to "well developed" to any number of things. They all suck, but only as much as you let them.

Next time someone feels the need to be ... impolite... just remind yourself that you can fix your body but they can't fix their personality.
  • joselo2
    joselo2 Posts: 461
    Options
    My EX girlfriend called me 'dumpy' once............... :huh:

Ha ha, can just see that look on your face when she said it. I once had a sort of boyfriend who called me chubby and fatty often but he was kinda 'into' that stuff and I think he got off on it a bitm HA!

This thread is just reinforcing to mehow very very RUDE some people are! And being family is no excuse!
  • xxghost
    xxghost Posts: 4,697 Member
    Options
    I always get "bigger." I'm 6'0, so everything about me is a bit big. :\
  • melodylou
    melodylou Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    You know how people say "well she has a pretty face"
    My manager told another coworker of mine "she's pretty but she would be prettier if she lost 20 pounds"
    WTF kind of comment is that! He to some is a good looking guy and for some reason feels he can make those comments, Well I got him sent to sexual harassment classes!

good for you for speaking up for yourself. I once had a supervisor who would bring up his "concern for my health" in every discussion I had with him. I definitely should have spoken up because clearly he had no other evidence that my health was of concern, than that I was overweight. makes my blood boil thinking about it. A**.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Good for you for being able to cope with people being rude, even though it isn't any of anyone else's business what size you are, and good luck with your goals!
  • ReedTf
    Options
    I used to be very fit and skinny...

at a funeral an older lady I haven't seen in a long time shouts "You got FAT" insult to injury right there

Old friend "last time I saw you, you were getting huge" I had actually gained more weight since that, lol.

Friend I haven't seen in forever "What happened to you, you used to be hot"

Stupid friend of the family "You and your sister used to be so beautiful" (I cried for days in secret from that one)

I am in college right now the younger students see my fat and ask how many kids I have :( .I don't even have kids.
  • Littlestandrews
    Littlestandrews Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I was always called cute and thought it actually meant cute. Then in college I was told that when the guys called me "cute" it actually meant "chubby" ;(. Also, "Stout" "Thick" "Built sturdier than other girls." I'm just shy of 5 feet and was at 169 pounds. My ex loved it and would discourage my weight loss efforts (he was in excellent shape with a 6 pack). He said he liked my curves but carrying around an extra 50 pounds is not cute and curvy, it's fat! :)
    The comment that really got me going was this past summer at a family reunion. I asked my mother in law about my sister in law whom i hadn't seen in 8 months. She had told us all last Christmas that she had joined a gym and was going to change her lifestyle. My mother in law said "Oh, she's gained weight TOO." Too?! Ouch. I started dieting and exercising the next week
  • corycarrasco
    corycarrasco Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    26, 5'4", 180lbs
    I've definitely received what they thought was the compliment of "you have a pretty face!"

I also overheard my friends boyfriend at the time say "Your friend would be hot if she lost 30 lbs." they both thought I was asleep. I was 16.

More recently by current boyfriend called me "Stocky".
    I know he 100% didn't mean harm by it, he thinks it's the compliment equivalent to saying I have curves, so I wasn't mad but it definitely struck a bummed out nerve lol.
    I can't really get it out of my head.

I also saw a text between my boyfriend and his cousin, where he was telling his cousin that his ex girlfriend (who is a complete malicious monster) had blown up/gained a ton of weight and his cousin replied with "that's too bad, she had a really cute figure." I know I look more like the weight gained version of his ex, at least as far as body type goes and it just made me feel kind of crappy; like how bad does his cousin think I look?

I often wonder if any of his friends have ever wondered why my boyfriend was attracted to me since I'm heavier.

I didn't really think I was that sensitive about my body, but it turns out I am extremely sensitive and self conscious; not to mention completely self deprecating.
    I always make fun of the fact that I'm so "curvy" is the nice way to say it I guess, but I have damn near a non-existant butt lol.
    I know my boyfriend likes good butts, and I don't have anything to really like (even though he says he likes my butt lol)