Squat Rack Bar Padding

Options
13»

Replies

• missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I never use it, slides off every time. i grin and bear it and slap that thing on my traps :)
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Flame away- but I guess it has more to do with mental toughness and just dealing with it rather than coming up with ways to make it "easier" or less uncomfortable. Lifting weights- and working out- it's not about being fluffy- it's not about being soft. To me it's about pushing yourself- breaking through a new level- and that doesn't come from the land of back pads and little fingerless batting gloves.

can you work out with all the "creature comforts"? gloves and pads and things- yes sure... but it tells me something about what kind of lifter you are.

Well first, it tells me quite a bit about what kind of person you are to judge the "kind" of lifter others are by whether or not they are as "mentally tough" as you. Second, I think it probably has less to do with mental toughness and more to do with BS machismo (would that be machisma for a girl?). I see this all the time at load ins and job sites, newbie stage hands insisting on no gloves or pads, etc. And sure, they look bad *kitten* and all. But the difference is that for the rest of us, it's not about impressing anyone, it's about getting the work done. The marley doesn't go down smoother because Billy refused to use knee pads, and your muscles aren't any bigger because you insisted on ripping open blisters while doing your deadlifts.

If you don't WANT to use them, fine. But acting like other people are somehow lesser than you because they've learned that sometimes it's easier to "look like a sissy" than to suffer needlessly is just idiotic. And dangerous when it includes directing people to ignore pain in a way that might lead a novice into an injury.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    I would just like to point out that OP is a guy. Not that it makes a difference. I think just try the lower placement with lower weight and see how it goes.

HAHA! Damn, that's funny. Um, sorry brah lol? The odds were 1:5 against your favor in that photo.

Fix your form.
    I made the same mistake you did, because it looked like a gaggle of women to me.

Also, I wanted to say "Point taken" about the "some women shave their heads; does that mean you have to?"

However, what puzzles me is the about-face upon learning that OP was a man instead of a woman. Why suddenly is it not ok for him to use the pad and it must be a form issue, whereas not so when you thought it was a woman? :huh: I smell a double standard.
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    I always use to just double up a towel and put this over my shoulders and boooosh jobs a goodun, but then again I was only squating about 100-120kg
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I made the same mistake you did, because it looked like a gaggle of women to me.

Also, I wanted to say "Point taken" about the "some women shave their heads; does that mean you have to?"

However, what puzzles me is the about-face upon learning that OP was a man instead of a woman. Why suddenly is it not ok for him to use the pad and it must be a form issue, whereas not so when you thought it was a woman? :huh: I smell a double standard.

nah- view it the same either way- I didn't' assume man or woman until I started reading a lot of pronouns- and then we got to the mix up.

I don't think anyone should use them. Learn how to squat with the bar properly and you don't need it.

our muscles aren't any bigger because you insisted on ripping open blisters while doing your deadlifts.

If you don't WANT to use them, fine. But acting like other people are somehow lesser than you because they've learned that sometimes it's easier to "look like a sissy" than to suffer needlessly is just idiotic. And dangerous when it includes directing people to ignore pain in a way that might lead a novice into an injury.

LOL at ripping open blisters- said no one here.

I didn't say ignore the pain that might lead to injury. I said- fix the bar position.
    Then deal with it- the bar isn't that uncomfortable on your back unless you're doing something wrong.
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    omg, i didn't know they made padding for this area. Really. I have trouble doing bar squats because of where the bar sits on my back (due to my scoliosis) and it always puts uneven pressure on the left side. I keep trying (and keep hurting) no matter how much I shift up or down. I may have to look for this padding
  • rmfails417
    Options
    Exactly my thoughts...sissy I will be! LOL
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    I would just like to point out that OP is a guy. Not that it makes a difference. I think just try the lower placement with lower weight and see how it goes.

HAHA! Damn, that's funny. Um, sorry brah lol? The odds were 1:5 against your favor in that photo.

Fix your form.

Nope, in my first post, my first point was to fix the form because he was doing it wrong. Then if the bruising continues (probably due to a condition or something) I suggested he buy a pad. I was careful not to contradict that because if someone is bruising up with good form, there's a problem there. I would do it myself.

Another advantage of the pad that I suggested is that the user can't help but put the bar in the right place... see what I did there ;)
  • ttippie2000
    ttippie2000 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure it comes down to a dichotomy of a bruised back vs. compressed vertebrae in your neck. Personally I use a low bar position with a T-shirt and occasionally some chalk on my delts. But, well, I don't care enough about being right to join in when the discussion trends towards nasty.

Bruising does present some interesting social situations for a woman though. My wife ran into that the other day in the locker room at the gym. A couple of women saw the bruises left by her squat suit, presumed she was the victim of domestic violence and tried to intervene. "Are you okay?" they asked. "Do you need some help?"
    My wife, oblivious to the fact that they were not talking about helping her into her powerlifting suit, prattled on. "Oh, I like it. It's fun. You should try it sometime."
    From what I hear their eyes got big and they started backing up. In any case, I got some REAL strange looks when I walked in the gym that day.
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    do not ever use pads. it changes the center of gravity and the lift itself. impossible to have great form with pads. it might not cause any problems but it will never be ideal.

suck it up for a few weeks and the pain subsides. bruising also usually goes away after a month of proper squatting. if not, use a towel.

worst post I've seen this week. Head, meet desk.....

do you even lift?

assuming proper bar placement (and there are plenty of pics in this thread showing correct placement), placing the bar across virgin skin causes discomfort for a few weeks. it goes away. your previous post is wrong. bruising does not mean the bar is always in the wrong place. plenty of people bruise with perfect placement. Its virgin skin. I suppose doing calf raises on a machine and getting bruises on your shoulders means the placement is wrong? no, it stops happening after repeated use
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure it comes down to a dichotomy of a bruised back vs. compressed vertebrae in your neck. Personally I use a low bar position with a T-shirt and occasionally some chalk on my delts. But, well, I don't care enough about being right to join in when the discussion trends towards nasty.

Bruising does present some interesting social situations for a woman though. My wife ran into that the other day in the locker room at the gym. A couple of women saw the bruises left by her squat suit, presumed she was the victim of domestic violence and tried to intervene. "Are you okay?" they asked. "Do you need some help?"
    My wife, oblivious to the fact that they were not talking about helping her into her power lifting suit, prattled on. "Oh, I like it. It's fun. You should try it sometime."
    From what I hear their eyes got big and they started backing up. In any case, I got some REAL strange looks when I walked in the gym that day.

I look like a massive abuse victim-s o much so my doctor and nurse spoke up during a physical my motorcycle leaves wicked marks as does my saddle when I ride- and I often have great big knee and thigh bruises. A strong side eye will leave a bruise on me- it's shameful... you get used to brushing it off if you can even remember where they come from- usually if you bruise easily- you can't remember where most of them even originated.
  • crobl
    crobl Posts: 380
    Options
    Um.... although I love the debate on padding and placement - have you tried to front squat?