please explain the problem with low calories...

Options

Replies

• ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    If your deficit exceeds what your body can compensate for in fat, other tissues are used for energy - muscle, bone, organs, etc. They're used anyway, to a lesser degree, but a steeper deficit increases the severity of lean mass loss.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Actually, your brain doesn't use fat at all. It's strictly a glycogen consumer. And since it can't store glycogen on its own it taps into the approx 30g of glycogen stored in your liver to provide fuel.

At least, that's what I found out a year ago when I did a search for "What does the brain use for energy."
    Try searching for "nutritional ketosis" to expand your knowledge to the alternative fuel the brain uses when ingested carbs are in short supply, Ketones from fat can provide about 70% of the brain's requirements.
  • wiltl
    wiltl Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    This thread is great! So glad to see good info and receptive audiences! I did a little cheer in my office after reading the OP's reply

One thing I've learned here, is that our BMR/minimum is unique to each of us. Sure, there are ways to get averages or guesstimates. We have to take into account:
    Current Weight
    Healthy Goal Weight
    (And for some, Medical conditions)

I'm 5'8", and even if I were at a healthy weight I would need more calories than someone at 5'2" who is at a healthy weight for their height. I have to support more bone, skin, muscle, etc. Or, compare the heating needs for a one story house versus a two story house. A heating system for a one story house will overwork itself in a two story and ultimately fail just performing its basic function.

I used these calculators here to find my daily calorie goal: http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/. :drinker:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,550 Member
    Options
    I don't get all these posts saying 1200 is too low, I set mine to 1000. I eat things like omelots, sandwiches, salads, tuna, salmon, veggies, fruit, cereal, cheese and I don't feel hungy at 1000. I think I'm getting a good mix, but I don't get why that is so low. Shouldn't it be about what you are eating, rather than just looking at the number itself? Not trying to be defensive, but I just don't get it. I'm losing weight and I definitely need to incorporate exercise, but my food calories will remain at 1000, maybe 1200 on the weekends. Is this just horrible? I don't feel starved at all and once I get to my goal, I of course will increase the calories but keep a healthy diet and also exercise. I'm 5'7" and weigh 157 right now, trying to get to 135.
    Your BMR based on your stats is 1500. So if you didn't do anything (including chewing and feeding yourself) then that 1000 would be legitimate to lose a pound a week. On average (walking around and also work, chores, etc.) you probably at minimum burn another 300 calories. So your net calories are 700 a day. Sorry, but intake that low for you is considered much closer to a VLCD and that can definitely play havoc with just your hormones alone. Other side effects are things like hair falling out, lower blood pressure, etc.
    Just cause one doesn't feel hungry, doesn't mean that the body isn't craving nutrients. People with eating disorders will always say they aren't hungry and we all know that it usually doesn't turn out well.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Hey, niner...

...keep catching up on this thread. It takes an interesting turn.

ETA: I'm not saying your post isn't spot on...just that the thread moved through that into some unique territory for an MFP thread like this. (In other words, OP acknowledged these concerns and is reconsidering her approach).
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I don't pay much attention to the number. I eat now WHEN I am hungry and I rarely come near the 1000 mark much LESS the 1200 or above. I am still losing, my trainer and Dr aren't upset, soooooooooooooooooo..It is a number
    You've probably got a lot to lose though. Obese people can legitimately do a VLCD under doctor's supervision. A person losing 30lbs SHOULDN'T attempt it.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    WOW just WOW! I'm serious when I say, that I'm kind of shocked and freaked out! I'm such a big Google researcher and I've never even thought of researching it. I just thought that I"m eating all day and making good choices (eating grapes right now) and thought and didn't really think about what I could be doing to my body. Now I feel like an idiot lol I guess it just feels scary to eat high calories and I thought well, if I just get to my weight, then I can worry about upping the calories. I'm going to increase my calories and I think if I work out regularly, I'll feel better about it.

Thank you for scaring me, I'm serious, that is what it takes with me. I appreciate everyone's input and sharing their personal story. I'm going to go back and read it all again. I just need to figure out how many calories are right for me. I guess I can finally add that peanut butter to my celery I was scared about! haha :wink:

Did...did you just take the awesome advice that people posted in here?

.This is unprecedented. I was going to post something blunt and slightly rude. Now I don't know what to say...
  • klaff411
    klaff411 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    um. I disagree. I don't think its too low. You should eat till your full. Where in the universe does it say that eating 1000 calories is bad? If your OBESE its very different from being slightly overweight or losing a few pounds. Your putting your body into ketotosis -essentially where your burning ketones or fat for energy, rather than carbs. First it will burn the glucose stored in your liver.Then when it runs out it will begin to look for energy stored in your other organs, then body fat.

yes, this can be hard on your kidneys, which is why you always see people in ketogenic diets drinking lots of water and eating high fat diets. Its important to keep your uric acid content low -- otherwise you could get kidney stones. Believe me, that's no fun.

People need to do what is appropriate for them individually. There is no universal advice for dieting. http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I have been at 1200 calories a day since I started MFP in January of this year - total loss to date is 73.5 lbs. I eat very well and do not feel hungry because I make sure to eat whole foods, not processed, and keep my nutrition balanced. Two key factors for me were cutting sugar out of my diet and greatly reducing sodium. Walking is my main source of exercise - most days I walk at least 60 minutes - on occasion I use some of those extra calories I earned but not often. Every person is different so there is no one answer to this question. Each person has to find what works for them.

Again, you are much older than the OP and had a lot more weight to lose. 1200 calories can be appropriate for some people, but not the majority.

Which is why I said "Every person is different so there is no one answer to this question. Each person has to find what works for them"
    People with eating disorders eat based on what they think "what works for them".

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Hey, niner...

...keep catching up on this thread. It takes an interesting turn.

ETA: I'm not saying your post isn't spot on...just that the thread moved through that into some unique territory for an MFP thread like this. (In other words, OP acknowledged these concerns and is reconsidering her approach).
    Yeah, just saw that. Kudos to her and you're right, it's kind of unprecedented.

IDEA Fitness member
  • whierd
    Options
    um. I disagree. I don't think its too low. You should eat till your full.

Stop it.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    WOW just WOW! I'm serious when I say, that I'm kind of shocked and freaked out! I'm such a big Google researcher and I've never even thought of researching it. I just thought that I"m eating all day and making good choices (eating grapes right now) and thought and didn't really think about what I could be doing to my body. Now I feel like an idiot lol I guess it just feels scary to eat high calories and I thought well, if I just get to my weight, then I can worry about upping the calories. I'm going to increase my calories and I think if I work out regularly, I'll feel better about it.

Thank you for scaring me, I'm serious, that is what it takes with me. I appreciate everyone's input and sharing their personal story. I'm going to go back and read it all again. I just need to figure out how many calories are right for me. I guess I can finally add that peanut butter to my celery I was scared about! haha :wink:

Did...did you just take the awesome advice that people posted in here?

.This is unprecedented. I was going to post something blunt and slightly rude. Now I don't know what to say...

Yeah, I know.

Not sure what we're supposed to do now.

We could address that 5:52p post that supports OP's *original* thoughts before OP's "eureka!" moment...

...but honestly, I'm just not that feeling it. I accept that not everyone can be "saved", at least not all at once...and with the admission of OP that she is reconsidering, well, that's enough for me to consider this thread a success...

...and I'll just happily walk away now.

(Still feels weird though.)

ETA:
    um. I disagree. I don't think its too low. You should eat till your full.

Stop it.

LOL.

Fight the good fight, whierd.

Never give up. Never give in.

:drinker:
  • klaff411
    klaff411 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Stop what? All the pseudo scientific advice around here? There isn't a consensus about nearly 90% of the advice that runs around here.

People should go to a ****en doctor and ask these questions.
  • Achaila
    Achaila Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Stop what? All the pseudo scientific advice around here? There isn't a consensus about nearly 90% of the advice that runs around here.

I do talk to a doctor about it. Twice a week. Every week. And a therapist. And a psychiatrist. And a nutritionist. And the phlebotomist who does my blood work to check me for organ failure. And the nurses who make sure that my heart isn't going to give out.
  • marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options

erm, if you think 90% of the advice found here is pseudo scientific & that people should "go to a ****en doctor and ask these questions." then whats with your post from last month? http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1064083-having-trouble-eating-enough
  • archoo_letsdothis
    Options
    ok not a single person has backed up their claims either against or for eating at 1000 cal. Every one explains their science. Not one person, except the person who said abt the study where 1000 cal diet was advised for obese test volunteers. Come one people , If we are to have an eye opener , you should back up what you say . I have been searching for studies that show either way , but have not seen any. This would be a good thread to direct people to If we resolve it.
  • whierd
    Options

Oh? You're telling me that there is a consensus in the scientific community that eating 1,000 calories per day is ideal? Please, post the studies that say this.

Way to show how much you know about nutrition. Doctors aren't nutritionists or dieticians. I looked at your other posts around here, you seem to be incredibly angry. May I suggest yoga?
  • Cella30
    Cella30 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Well..I'll just give my input even thought I'm sure it won't be held up as much as everyone elses;

I have an eating disorder. I have to go to the doctor twice a week to watch my blood pressure, that runs around 70/50 because if it gets lower than that, something could go wrong with my heart and I could die. My pulse is also extremely low. My oxygen saturation is low. My body temperature runs around 96 (where a normal body temp is 98.6). I have to regularly get blood test to check and make sure that there is no damage to my kidneys or liver and a slew of other things (There is an order for blood work sitting right beside me right now, the orders on it are TSH, CBC, CMP (chem 14), ESR (Sed Rate), A1C) because what I have done to my body. How did I get said eating disorder? Eating less than 1000 calories a day. Dropping weight quickly. Deciding since I was dropping weight so quickly I would drop down more and more and more. Now my teeth are falling out, my hair is coming out in handfuls, and there is something wrong with my kidneys.

But good luck with your "healthy" low calorie diet.

I just want to again thank this poster for telling her story and her bravery. I again encourage the repost of this as it's own topic so that it might be available to others outside of this thread. I've been a lurker and periodic commenter on mfp for a bit now and this is the most telling read I've seen of ED and it's effects. I have seen many, and I do mean many pro-ana or pro-ED posts and while I know many will not listen or simply won't want to, I think that this kind of personal experience needs to be made available to the general populace so that they may make better decisions and know the effects of bad decisions.

Thank you for your heart felt response to OP and good luck, be strong, and see recovery as you seem to be on a very firm road there.

and

In...

...for awesome, straightforward, no-nonsense responses and an OP with a willingness to hear them out.

This thread has slightly restored my hope for humanity.

Best of luck to everyone who is personally fighting this problem and those willing to share to help others.

:flowerforyou:

^^^ Couldn't have said either better...worth reposting!

Ps. I consume probably between 1700-2100 calories a day (plus I exercise 4-5 days) and I'm 5'3". I've consistently lost weight for 13 months. My expectations for losing weight (quickly) were so screwed up. It's all about slow and steady. And...I feel freaking amazing- energy, attitude and physically. The time it took me to get here and create new healthy habits were totally worth it. Plus, I get to eat! :happy: nomnomnom
  • Inc1961
    Inc1961 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    ok
  • whierd
    Options
    I only read the first page of responses - which all basically said that low cal way bad. But I've been eating the same for 15 years, and whenever I calculate it, it is less than 1000 calories. (I'm 5'6"). I have gained weight on this amount as I've become less active.
    I tried weight watchers last year. They increased my diet to the point I could not consume all the food! So I'm trying to do it on my own. I eat skinless boneless chicken, beef, pork, beans, whole grains, dairy, eggs, vegetables and fruit. What am I leaving out?

I believe my diet is balance even if not abundant. I feel very bloated and sick if I eat a lot more.

I started exercising a month ago and joined MFP to track the calories used. I see a difference in my body, and a 'little' on the scale but have a way to go.

I wish you well on your journey. I think we should support others, not be critical and I apologize for some of the criticism you've endured for asking a question of a 'support' group.

:flowerforyou:

I think you may want to read the entire thread.
This discussion has been closed.