What have you learned are myths, since joining MyFitnessPal?

Options

Replies

• jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Edit: I need a break from the stupid
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Myth 1: strength training will significantly increase your metabolic you are burning more calories over a 24 hour period, compared to 30 minute steady state cardio. The operative myth word here being significantly .

Myth 2: If you use bodyweight exercises to gain strength you will eventually get to a plateau where you will have to start using weights to continue gaining strength.

Myth 3: you need 1g protein per 1lb lean mass to maintain muscle mass.

Myth 3: Yoga (and Pilates for that matter) does nothing really for strength or cardio; it's more to do with s-t-r-e-t-c-h-i-n-g.

sits back in Lotus position to watch the fun (I take it this thread is meant to have a little bit of fun; no?).

:flowerforyou: <
    passive/aggressive.
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    That women are in love with the word 'toning'

LOL, some of us (myself included) hate that word.

Hee hee! I LOVE that word - and I believe it exists! Look how toned I am! <sarcasm>
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Water is a good example. Take a cup of water and measure it's density. Freeze it and the density will reduce. But the volume of water is still the same.

Yeah, not quite... water is one of the few substances which expands, ie increases its volume on changing state from liquid to solid. The density DOES decrease but only because the volume of the water has INCREASED (inversely proportional relationship). If you've ever put a plastic bottle of water in the freezer and had it burst - this is because the volume of the water has increased.

That's why in the winter you have to ensure the temp of your house doesn't drop below freezing - the water in the radiators and the heating system expands on freezing and can burst the pipes.

It's something to do why the rearrangement of the molecules taking up more space in their crystalised form. I think.

Hope that's cleared it up, sorry if it sounded confusing! :flowerforyou:
  • Guinivere
    Guinivere Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I've learned there is no one right solution that fits everyone. No-one here is an expert in everything!

You have to experiment and find out what works for your own body.

It's been good to hear evidence from experiments people have done.
  • Star_1234
    Star_1234 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I have been following this thread and it has exhausted me lol.

Im new to weight loss and I have misunderstood alot of things.

So as long as I take in less calories than I burn I will lose weight? Regardless of what I eat and when I eat?

Also is starvation mode a myth?
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I find this site and many of its posters to be very informative.

Since joining MyFitnessPal, I've come to learn that a lot of the things I've been taught about nutrition and exercise (Since Elementary School.) have been false.

For me, I would say the two huge items have been "You gain weight if you eat after 6:00," and "Muscle weighs more than fat."

What have you learned since joining MyFitnessPal.

I have learned that apparently cardio is the devil incarnate, lifting heavy is the only way to go and running will eat all my muscles up.

Fortunately, I realize that the same people don't know what they are talking about and I learned how to laugh at them behind my computer screen.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    that everyone is different and there is no cookie cutter method for success, but many people will adamantly try to pigeon hole you into their way or you are seen as doing it "wrong".

Cenafan, on a sidenote, where did you get your ticker from? Really good idea those little piccies!!
  • JaxDemon
    JaxDemon Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I've learned that 99% of MFP users who have lost loads of weight now believe they know it all and are the fitness guru's of the www.
  • PosterGuy1
    PosterGuy1 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I have been following this thread and it has exhausted me lol.

Im new to weight loss and I have misunderstood alot of things.

So as long as I take in less calories than I burn I will lose weight? Regardless of what I eat and when I eat?

Also is starvation mode a myth?

You'll get various answers about both of those questions.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I have learned that there are people who read/research a lot and give useful information to those of us who want it.

I have learned that body shaming is prevelant...for those that are overweight as well as fit and Muscled...

I have learned the most useful thing tho...that I can eat what I want (the good the bad the ugly)and still lose weight. (having a hard time getting past the myth of "everything should be "Low Fat")

My thoughts about lifting were confirmed and I don't feel bad now about hating cardio....

And I have learned that when all else fails attack grammer, spelling and age to prove your point that the other person has no idea what they are talking about...as well that there needs to be a special font for sarcasm...otherwise most people miss it.
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I have learned that fat doesn't make you fat. A calorie is a calorie but not all are created equal. I have learned that starvation mode is a myth.
  • ktsimons
    ktsimons Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    That what works for ONE will work for ALL. It won't. period.
  • ktsimons
    ktsimons Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    My biggest myth that I believed is that you can out train a bad diet.

This, too...THAT was an eye opener...LOL
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    You can't speed up or slow down your own metabolism except by gaining or losing muscle or fat: you can't 'damage' your metabolism by dieting.

Your Metabolism is determined by how energy expensive it is to pump blood around your body, run the blood cleaning filters and the gut and the intestine and respiration.

You cannot change this. Of course at very low weights essential services will shut down and heart muscle will be used to fuel the body, leading to death by organ failure - but ultimately you cannot "Slow" your metabolism. It's just the rent you pay on your size body.

Incorrect
  • ryanropers
    ryanropers Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    That you have to starve yourself to lose weight. For me, it was all about portioning and eating a realistic amount of food. Started weighing and measuring my food and got a much better idea of what an actual serving is.
  • lucystacy71
    lucystacy71 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I've learned that excuses don't cut it. I used to be the queen of excuses, and I no doubt would have used some here. Before I did, however, I saw other people using the same excuses I would have and how those excuses were accepted (as in they weren't) by other posters. At first I thought everyone was being a bit mean, but then I realized that they were actually right. I gave up on the excuses and I started making real changes.

I learned breakfast isn't absolutely necessary and that the time of day you eat isn't all that important.

A big one for me is that aspartame isn't the root of all evil. I had a doctor tell me this one years ago. I can't eat it for some reason as it irritates my stomach, so I had no real reason to even question whether it was horrible or not. Silly me. I need to remember to question everything and learn for myself.

Oh, and eating less isn't always better. I used to think you practically had to starve yourself in order to lose.
  • bellaaa01
    Options
    Losing weight and being healthy are not the same thing.
    This!
  • agdyl
    agdyl Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Losing weight and being healthy are not the same thing.

Definitely!
  • anna_toffee
    anna_toffee Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    1200cal is not the magic weight-loss number; it's better to calculate your own BMR and suffer the maths!