Never eaten pumpkin pie. You???

Options

Replies

• Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I've had marmite. Whoever came up with that should knock it off.

There are some things that you just know by instinct, are very very wrong. Twiglets and all!
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Options
    And what about food totally unique to the "colonies?"
    Specifically: South African "boerewors" (spicy pork/beef sausages, on the grill); melktert (a to-die-for creamy, sugary concoction!); "koeksisters" (please Google that! I cannot describe it.); bobotie (Indonesian-inspired spiced ground beef baked with an egg-based topping) - and the crown-jewel: biltong (a jerky-like, piece of wind-dried beef) exported with third and fourth generations of the worldwide SA diaspora. Pumpkin is a veggie. NOT a dessert...

sounds delicious! I'd love to try some of that!
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Probably things most unique to my area would be Souse or head cheese (don't ask - I don't even eat it - have helped make it) and Poke Salat (pretty good stuff - fried with eggs). Also popular around here is catfish (with corn meal breading), cornbread and ham N beans. Although I wouldn't call those unique to my zone.
  • _xXJennXx_
    _xXJennXx_ Posts: 3,290 Member
    Options
    http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/double-layer-pumpkin-pie-54636.aspx
    I make this double layer pumpkin pie every year. So much better than plain pumpkin pie!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Haggis, stinky cheese, blood sausage and lamb/mutton.
  • Stary714
    Stary714 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Blood Sausage? Toad in a hole? Lamb? I think I lost my appetite...

I'll stick to Ice Tea and chili :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Blood sausage is delicious... Tripes though... ew. And OMG the smell...
  • dianeb613
    dianeb613 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I just commented on the recipe thread that, being from the UK, where pumpkin pie is rarely seen, I have never tried it. In fact I have never eaten any form of pumpkin. This must sound odd to the average all-American.

I have also noticed so many food items in the 'add food' lists that I have never heard of, never mind eaten....so it made we wonder, are there any types of foods common to other countries that you have never tried?

Ever had a yorkshire pudding? Toad in the hole? Eton mess?

I absolutely LOVE pumpkin pie....anything pumpkin is a favorite with me.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    Pumpkin pie? I eat, buy or make it starting in october.;)
  • dianeb613
    dianeb613 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Love Eton Mess but have never tried Spotted **** or Guiness :)

LOL I had the first one when visiting a friend in London....loved it, but I wouldn't ask for it by name. LMAO
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options

Marmite is the food of the God's!!! :bigsmile:
  • lsigall
    lsigall Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    But mate! you're in London! All those pubs and pub meals!!!!! Toad in the hole! Steak and kidney pudding! Lancashire hot pot! Curry! Bubble and squeak! Bangers and mash! Ploughman's Lunch! Fish n chips! Shepherd's Pie! Full English breakfasts! Steak and ale pie! Sunday Roast!

I am officially now hungry! I love steak and kidney pudding, bubble and squeak, Ploughman's lunch, and shepherd's pie (in fairness, I prefer a cottage pie). I also love a curry, and although I can get it in New York City, not as good as in London. Yum!
  • Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Never eaten it either, is this a thanksgiving thing for americans? I went to Chicago a couple of months ago and didn't see any.

I'm mexican, have you guys ever eaten any mexican food? :wink:

Tres Leches is the best thing ever! And carnitas. Verde. OMG.

Pumpkin pie? YES. With fresh cream and a cup of coffee please and thank you!

I actually really like British food. We have a pub here and they have a lot. Wasn't sure if it was legit until a friend from England who had moved here to the states said, "It tastes just like home." Still haven't tried spotted d*i*c*k even though they sell it here in the stores.

I like a lot of food, but I think that any Asian style suits me really well. :) And I'm from the south, so we eat some strange things ourselves! However, the fried bread with the hole in it then the added egg is called chicken in a basket here from what I recall unless I'm confused!
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Options

Marmite is the food of the God's!!! :bigsmile:

Glad I'm an atheist then :sick:
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    i'm american. i'm the only one in my family that doesn't like pumpkin pie. can't stand it. i'm just a freak i guess. :sad:
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Options
    I've had something my family called toad in the hole but it was bread, buttered on both sides, with a hole cut in the middle, in which you would break an egg and then fry them together.

Eton mess sound delicious!

And I've had Yorkshire pudding and love it!

I've also had 'rag pudding' which was yummy, too.

And I don't love pumpkin pie. It's okay, but I can live without it.

Never heard of rag pudding! Just looked it up - it's a local speciality from Oldham (near Manchester) - I haven't heard of any equivalent in other parts of the country either, but I suppose there must be.

We have the egg fried in a hole in a slice of bread only we call that egg in a basket.
    Never had an Eton Mess - but it sounds very similar to things I have had. Sounds most like a Strawberry Fool.
    Strawberry Fool in the UK is a strawberry flavoured mousse.
    Fool is usually puréed fruit folded into whipped cream - Eton Mess isn't that smooth, the strawberries are whole or cut but not puréed. Fool isn't a mousse really, mousse is made with eggs. But it looks similar.
    I'm mexican, have you guys ever eaten any mexican food?

We have loads of Mexican food in the UK (torillas, fajitas, burritos etc) - but I wonder how "Mexican" it is . They're really popular, most towns have at least one Mexican restaurant, people buy kits in supermarkets to make them up, but I'd love to know what Mexican people think of it. Basically, our idea of Mexican food is - pan fried meat and veg, loaded with chilli, wrapped in a flat bread, drowned in guaucamole and soured cream and if you're a bit more culturally aware, some salsa from a jar and refried beans from a tin thrown in, and a bag of doritos on the side. But there's a Mexican cultural assocation in Hull, and I've often eaten food made by their members at events, and no idea what I was eating or what it was called, but it was great. Really tasty, not processed.
    Haggis, stinky cheese, blood sausage and lamb/mutton.
    Love haggis - with clapshot! Never have eaten blood sausage or black pudding, or boudin! Doesn't appeal somehow.
  • sunsetzen
    sunsetzen Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I'm Canadian (mum's family is from Devonshire) so I eat a lot of British food AND American food like pumpkin pie. Since moving to Europe, however, I've been trying to cook the same foods but as pumpkins are more for decoration, I have a hard time making pie (once in 8 years), and toad in the hole was a huge flop for my dutch family :(. Evidently British food just isnt as flavourful as they like.
  • renatewolfe
    renatewolfe Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Until I went to England to visit friends, I had never had Scotch Eggs. HEAVEN!!! Also fell in love with pork pie and Yorkshire pudding. My father was German, so I eat lots of different kinds of German sausages,
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Options
    I'm Canadian (mum's family is from Devonshire) so I eat a lot of British food AND American food like pumpkin pie. Since moving to Europe, however, I've been trying to cook the same foods but as pumpkins are more for decoration, I have a hard time making pie (once in 8 years), and toad in the hole was a huge flop for my dutch family :(. Evidently British food just isnt as flavourful as they like.

I was born in Devon :smile: Whereabouts?
  • getyourbeans
    getyourbeans Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I'd love to try pumpkin pie - I've lived in NZ, Australia and London and in my experience pumpkin has always been a savoury food - usually in the form of pumpkin soup or as a roasted side dish to a "Sunday roast". Seems less popular in the UK though. Very normal in Aus and NZ, but not really as a dessert (well not that I've seen, so I was surprised to see a poster above me include a reference to the Edmonds recipe!!)

I've just noticed that in the ïmported foods section of David Jones they've started stocking cans of Libby's real pumpkin, which I gather is the base for pumpkin pie. Even though our seasons are reversed, might just have to give a recipe a go for halloween.

One thing pie-related that I've always wanted to try are Graham Crackers! Never seen them, would love to know if there's an Australian equivalent.