Does anybody else drive a stick shift?

Options
auntiebabs
auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
Am I the only person in the world who drives a stick?

Replies

• gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I can drive one, but don't currently. When I look at getting a vehicle, its not a make it or break it thing, the other features of the vehicle usually out way that. And it is hard to find a 7 passenger with a stick.

I guess that's what happens when you have 3 kids of your own and usually have 1 or 2 with you that aren't yours.
  • PonyTailedLoser
    PonyTailedLoser Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I do :) I prefer it for some reason. My current and last car were stick shift. I think I get that gene from my mom. She always drove manual transmission.
  • michybeans
    Options
    I do and love it. Can't stand driving automatic cars - so boring and no control over what's happening. No fun! Manual is better.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    i do. much more reliable then an auto
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I had one when I was in high school. My mom advised me to get an automatic when I moved since it would be so "hilly," and stopping & getting going again on hills made me nervous if a car was right on my tail.

I used to enjoy driving it, and was pretty good at it (for the most part). I test drove a stick shift when I was getting a car for my move after high school, and the salesman in Montana said, "You handle a clutch real good for a woman."

Aww shucks. :blushing: :laugh:
  • latenitelucy
    latenitelucy Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I do!
    I'm a girl in a Jeep!
  • rudyryan33
    Options
    I do, but sometimes I wish I would have gotten an automatic. I guess you can say sometimes i just don't feel like shifting gears.
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I do...I feel like it is going to be a lost art pretty soon!!!
  • plateaued
    plateaued Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Only in America could such a question be asked. I spend most of my time in central Mexico. It's very hard to find an automatic there. Mexico, as is most of the world, is impoverished. Automatics are expensive.
  • RuleFive
    RuleFive Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Not saying it. Not saying it. Not going there.

Anyone want to take me for a ride?

Damnit.
  • Shannonthompson73
    Shannonthompson73 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    My first car was a 72 Beetle, it was a manual. I went through a series of jeeps and minivans. When I sold the last van I went totally impractical for a sports mom of 3. I got a Scion XA, bright red, dark tint, manual. I have had him, for 3 1/2 years. His name is Norman, I love him!

Both of my girls learned to drive in Norman so they know how to drive a stick. When the boy gets his permit he will be required to start in the manual also. I believe driving a stick is a life skill people should have. I would hate for my kids to get stuck somewhere with someone with a stick shift who was unable to drive for whatever reason and my kid not be able to stick to get them home.
  • pawnstarNate
    pawnstarNate Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    only during tom days and usually with a long hot shower

OHHHH, you meant vehicle???
    facepalm.gif
  • Davina_JH
    Davina_JH Posts: 473 Member
    Options

Yes, of course you are.
  • Davina_JH
    Davina_JH Posts: 473 Member
    Options

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQhQm8N34SVq4NKYDUUeOtiVXK0mIz818DW2uODfcRpZ_HXcRTw
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    my current vehicle is stick. love it.
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Me! I love driving stick. I learned how to drive one in a busted up old jeep with a truck clutch in a home depot parking lot at night and then proceeded to try to cross customs into the US using my newly found ability...that was a somewhat adventurous endeavor, but I made it!
  • angelique_redhead
    angelique_redhead Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I drive one.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I drove automatics when I lived in the States. Since moving to the UK, I learned to drive a manual and much prefer it to automatic! I feel like I'm doing more than just pointing the car in the right direction, haha :bigsmile:
  • Dublinmum
    Dublinmum Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Pretty much everyone in Europe drives manual cars. Automatics are the exception. I drive a stick shift, except now that I'm on MFP, I don't drive much at all. Walking and cycling are more my thing these days
  • ractrev
    ractrev Posts: 426
    Options
    I love them in my commuter cars, makes the drive more interesting.