Does anybody else drive a stick shift?

Options

Replies

• Ribena145
    Ribena145 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Only thing I'll drive - have done so for 30+ years. Actually didn't even try driving an automatic till a few years ago - they make me nervous - I don't feel like I have the same control. Besides, in the snow, I feel safer with a stick.
  • BeccaBollons
    BeccaBollons Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    Why would anyone have that silly left foot exerciser and stirry stick any more? Unless of course they like black and white TV and filofaxes. Stick shift is so last century.

The good lord gave you two feet, one for brake and one for accelerator, if he'd meant us to have stick shifts he'd have given us three feet! And as you know, three feet is a yard, and that is where your stick shifts should be stored, permanently, to rot.

Just my not so humble opinion.

Even if I drive an automatic I still use my right foot for both brake and accelerator, and my left ankle gets a little rest. In the uk, its mostly old people or nervous young women who drive automatics. I prefer to drive manual, and even miss the manual choke in certain weathers.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I don't think I even know anyone with one......
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Given the choice I will always take a manual. They're just plain more fun. I like to DRIVE, not just sit there. My parents never let me drive an automatic until I had mastered a stick.

The Camaro in my ticker was a 6 speed manual. We now have a 6 speed Jeep Wrangler. My van is automatic only because that's the only way they come.
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    I can drive one and have a car that's manual but that's the fun car. My main car is automatic.
    Why would anyone have that silly left foot exerciser and stirry stick any more? Unless of course they like black and white TV and filofaxes. Stick shift is so last century.

The good lord gave you two feet, one for brake and one for accelerator, if he'd meant us to have stick shifts he'd have given us three feet! And as you know, three feet is a yard, and that is where your stick shifts should be stored, permanently, to rot.

Just my not so humble opinion

For one, manual transmissions are better on gas.

For two, they're better in snow.

For three, they're easier to maintain than automatic transmission

For four you have a lot more control over the car

For five they're really fun to drive

For six I can't imagine buying a really sweet sports car and having it be an automatic transmission. That's almost blaspheme.

And I really hope you're not driving with two feet, unless you're a cop.
  • 1brokegal44
    1brokegal44 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Most of my driving life--learned on a 1971 VW Squareback, 4 spd. I've only had 1 automatic ever.
  • Redbird99ky
    Redbird99ky Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I know how to drive a manual, and yes they are fun. That being said, this is fun also, even though it's an automatic. When you're dealing with 440 lb-ft of torque, there's only a slight perception of control, but even THAT is questionable.

hbahba.jpg
  • cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Yes and I love it! Bought a 2010 Challenger R/T with a 6 speed and have been driving it daily for almost 3 years now, never gets old! Automatics are nice too, but stick shifts are just so much fun!
  • cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Nice GTO there man! Looks good! I've got an old 1972 Chevy Nova that likes to roast the tires too! :) If I knew how to post pics up here I would post one haha!
  • Redbird99ky
    Redbird99ky Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Nice GTO there man! Looks good! I've got an old 1972 Chevy Nova that likes to roast the tires too! :) If I knew how to post pics up here I would post one haha!

upload the pic to another site then copy the url, and surround it with [ img] and [ /img]

example [ img] http://www.picsharingsite.com/my_bucket/mypic.jpg [ /img] .... but don't have spaces between the [ img] and the url or between the brackets and the img
  • ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Options
    I can drive one and have a car that's manual but that's the fun car. My main car is automatic.

For six I can't imagine buying a really sweet sports car and having it be an automatic transmission. That's almost blaspheme.

The difference in gas mileage nowadays is minimal. How you drive, auto or manual makes a bigger difference.

Who says a manual is better in snow? In fact you have less control particularly pulling away from stationary.

Easier to maintain? Where on earth do you get that. Autos are more reliable than manuals and clutches.

How does a manual give you more control exactly? Have you ever driven an auto?

Fun to drive? How exactly? More to think about and get wrong maybe, more to distract you away from the road which is what you should be concentrating on.

High end sports cars from Ferrari to Aston Martin have had semi or full autos for years.

No I'm not a cop and yes I drive with both feet, I'll guarantee my reactions are quicker than moving right foot off accelerator and onto brake.
  • SerenaFisher
    SerenaFisher Posts: 2,170 Member
    Options
    I had one for years... I miss it :(
  • JustAboutDelicious_wechanged
    Options
    Driven several. They are all different. I like sticks, they are fun to control the engine at my pace.
  • SerenaFisher
    SerenaFisher Posts: 2,170 Member
    Options

The difference in gas mileage nowadays is minimal. How you drive, auto or manual makes a bigger difference.

Who says a manual is better in snow? In fact you have less control particularly pulling away from stationary.

Easier to maintain? Where on earth do you get that. Autos are more reliable than manuals and clutches.

Fun to drive? How exactly? More to think about and get wrong maybe, more to distract you away from the road which is what you should be concentrating on.

High end sports cars from Ferrari to Aston Martin have had semi or full autos for years.

No I'm not a cop and yes I drive with both feet, I'll guarantee my reactions are quicker than moving right foot off accelerator and onto brake.

LMAO typed like someone who lacks the ability to drive a standard. :laugh:
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    Wow, last I checked there were no comments now pages and pages.

I've been driving a stick for over 30 years... and I just read an article say that folks who drive sticks get into fewer accidents! HuzZah!

More control, better gas mileage what's not to like?
  • Tatonka_usn
    Tatonka_usn Posts: 433 Member
    Options

^^^^^^^ This! :happy:
  • Jonesie86
    Jonesie86 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't have it any other way :) It's what I learned to drive on and have loved it ever since
  • skadoosh33
    skadoosh33 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Yes WRX-doesn't have an option for auto.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options

For one, manual transmissions are better on gas. *1

The difference in gas mileage nowadays is minimal.*1 How you drive, auto or manual makes a bigger difference.

Fun to drive? How exactly? More to think about and get wrong maybe, more to distract you away from the road which is what you should be concentrating on.*2

No I'm not a cop and yes I drive with both feet, I'll guarantee my reactions are quicker than moving right foot off accelerator and onto brake. *3

It's rare to find anyone who gets better than 30 mpg on their automatic.... below 40 is a bad day for me
    2131607_1728.jpg

Just read an article in AAA magazine saying I just read an article say that folks who drive sticks get into fewer accidents! Because they actually focus on driving and their mind wanders less.

That just sounds wrong and scary to me. IMHO
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Mine's a stick! Love it.