Does anybody else drive a stick shift?

Options

Replies

• vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    I was very surprised that you can take the test in an automatic in the US. Almost every other country you had to do it in manual but that it's changing nowadays.

That is why I have a hard time understanding how people are failing the driving tests here in the US.
  • xxghost
    xxghost Posts: 4,697 Member
    Options
    And how yooou doing? =)

;)

Pity the image was too big and cut off. Its got a nice rear end too.
  • KhaoticSoul
    Options
    lol guess your not in UK, most vehicles are stick shift here, though automatics are common too. I personally have only ever driven an auto twice in my life and couldnt wait till I got back into my own vehicle. Think the funniest thing was going to NZ though not only did I end up driving a stick shift there, but it was also a manual choke, and I had to dreg up my memories for using that :P
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    My Wrangler is a stick and my Suburban is an automatic.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    OP, I hope you get the opportunity to travel to other countries, one day.
  • rbn_held
    rbn_held Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I can drive one but my main car is an auto. Grew up on a farm driving a tractor so learning to drive a manual wasen't that hard. Now learning to shift on a motorcycle was a totally different story. As uncoordinated as I am it took me longer to learn. Only dropped it a couple of times
  • emjaycazz
    emjaycazz Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have always had at least one MT in our garage since even before we got married. Hubby is an amateur race car driver/regional race director, so we are a bit biased. I personally prefer it--more control off the line and you can accelerate through the apex if you want to.

I think driving manual should be a mandatory facet of driver education in the event something happens where you'll be required to drive one.
  • jjinteso
    jjinteso Posts: 2,060 Member
    Options
    I drive a stick too. I have a Mazda 3 and I love it. Previous 2 cars were manual as well. I doubt that I will ever go back!!
  • ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Options
    Why would anyone have that silly left foot exerciser and stirry stick any more? Unless of course they like black and white TV and filofaxes. Stick shift is so last century. As for this nonsense about lack of control........... you have more control with an auto, you can drive in manual or auto mode depending on your mood, if you're stuck in stop start traffic, auto is great, if you're steaming down a country road, manual mode is good. Anyone who thinks you are not in control doesn't know how to drive an auto!

The good lord gave you two feet, one for brake and one for accelerator, if he'd meant us to have stick shifts he'd have given us three feet! And as you know, three feet is a yard, and that is where your stick shifts should be stored, permanently, to rot.

Just my not so humble opinion.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    nope, I never learned how. :blushing:
  • tonybalony01
    tonybalony01 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    car-theft-prevention-in-the-usa.jpeg
  • ACepero79
    ACepero79 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    True story, the first car I bought off the lot was a stick shift. Had to have someone drive it home for me. Learned on it.

Everything since then has been a stick shift......until now. Had to get a crossover to store the mountain bike INSIDE the car because my previous bike was stolen off the bike rack off my car.
  • Iri_2
    Iri_2 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I do. Here in Europe pretty much everyone drives manual.
  • I_Go_Fast
    Options
    Yep, black cherry 370Z Roadster...
  • hunterjumper642
    hunterjumper642 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    yes. i would never change.

#mustangnation
  • chevysarah
    Options
    Hecks Yes! Manuals are the only way to go for 4x4in!! :bigsmile:
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    Am I the only person in the world who drives a stick?

Most of the world drives one. Its only in US that people expect to be given a medal or something for knowing how to drive a stick.

:laugh: :glasses:
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    nope you arent the only one
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of the way a stick handles...especially in winter conditions.

Our last 2 cars have been manual transmissions.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    I wont drive anything but a stick.