What's your take on Bacon?

Options

Replies

• TheLung
    Options
    My take is bacon is made of pork and that is it. There is no such thing as turkey or beef bacon. I am not sure what you bought but you need to take it back and get the real stuff because you have been bamboozled.

If I could eat bacon everyday I would. I just need variety,
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    God made bacon for us to be happy.

And cheesecake.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

And cheesecake.

baconcheesecake-or-cupcake.jpeg
  • zagon_the_ultimate
    Options
    its like meat candy!!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I adore bacon.
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I frequently eat bacon and don't have a problem with it being in my diet at all.
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    As pointed out above, bacon calories are no different that others. Just avoid sodium nitrite as best you can.

Be well, be safe!
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options

And cheesecake.

baconcheesecake-or-cupcake.jpeg

*moan*
  • jonnythan
    Options
    As pointed out above, bacon calories are no different that others. Just avoid sodium nitrite as best you can.

Be well, be safe!

You should look up the truth about all that "nitrate free" bacon. They just use celery juice as an ingredient so they don't have to put "sodium nitrate" on the label. Guess what celery juice is actually full of.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Bacon is good; the adage, "Abs are made in the kitchen" is in reference to maintaining a moderate caloric deficit to reduce body fat percentage; except for the obvious need to maintain strong protein position in order to minimize muscle loss, the composition of what you eat should have little to do with whether you attain a six pack...Enjoy your bacon... in moderation.
  • MilliDenney
    MilliDenney Posts: 45 Member
    Options

Be well, be safe!

You should look up the truth about all that "nitrate free" bacon. They just use celery juice as an ingredient so they don't have to put "sodium nitrate" on the label. Guess what celery juice is actually full of.

There is probably also a lot of 'dehydrated cane juice' in the nitrate free stuff..
  • Mini_horse_lover
    Mini_horse_lover Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I don't eat bacon anymore due to becoming vegetarian but when I did eat meat it wasn't that nice anyway.
    Don't miss meat at all ;)
  • theoriginaljayne
    theoriginaljayne Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Today I ordered a wrap that was supposed to have bacon in it

and they forgot to put it in.

I can't even explain my disappointment in words
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Yum .. Canadian bacon. Actually even though I am Canadian I seldom eat it. Maybe I should as everyone seems to like it.
  • PhoenixEve
    PhoenixEve Posts: 131 Member
    Options

Be well, be safe!

"In fact, nitrites are produced by your own body in greater amounts than can be obtained from food, and salivary nitrite accounts for 70-90% of our total nitrite exposure. In other words, your spit contains far more nitrites than anything you could ever eat.

When it comes to food, vegetables are the primary source of nitrites. On average, about 93% of nitrites we get from food come from vegetables. It may shock you to learn that one serving of arugula, two servings of butter lettuce, and four servings of celery or beets all have more nitrite than 467 hot dogs. (2) And your own saliva has more nitrites than all of them! So before you eliminate cured meats from your diet, you might want to address your celery intake. And try not to swallow so frequently.

All humor aside, there’s no reason to fear nitrites in your food, or saliva. Recent evidence suggests that nitrites are beneficial for immune and cardiovascular function; they are being studied as a potential treatment for hypertension, heart attacks, sickle cell and circulatory disorders."

http://chriskresser.com/the-nitrate-and-nitrite-myth-another-reason-not-to-fear-bacon

Yay bacon! And Grimm's Pepperoni! (which i avoided for years because of nitrate/nitrite fear mongering)

:)
  • jonnythan
    Options

Be well, be safe!

"In fact, nitrites are produced by your own body in greater amounts than can be obtained from food, and salivary nitrite accounts for 70-90% of our total nitrite exposure. In other words, your spit contains far more nitrites than anything you could ever eat.

When it comes to food, vegetables are the primary source of nitrites. On average, about 93% of nitrites we get from food come from vegetables. It may shock you to learn that one serving of arugula, two servings of butter lettuce, and four servings of celery or beets all have more nitrite than 467 hot dogs. (2) And your own saliva has more nitrites than all of them! So before you eliminate cured meats from your diet, you might want to address your celery intake. And try not to swallow so frequently.

All humor aside, there’s no reason to fear nitrites in your food, or saliva. Recent evidence suggests that nitrites are beneficial for immune and cardiovascular function; they are being studied as a potential treatment for hypertension, heart attacks, sickle cell and circulatory disorders."

http://chriskresser.com/the-nitrate-and-nitrite-myth-another-reason-not-to-fear-bacon

Yay bacon! And Grimm's Pepperoni! (which i avoided for years because of nitrate/nitrite fear mongering)

:)

Mmmmm. 467 hot dogs.
  • Yeller_Sensation
    Yeller_Sensation Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    We go through a Costco-sized package of thick-sliced bacon a week.

My more-than-healthy numbers from my latest lipid panel caused my Nurse Practitioner friend to exclaim: "Bacon = good lipids!" :laugh:

Pig bacon forever! :drinker:
  • baybeejulia
    baybeejulia Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    LOL I just went to the supermarket to buy some more bacon and I came back to all this!

Glad to hear I finally like something that is good for me!

And definitely PORK bacon!
  • PippiNe
    PippiNe Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Cuts of meat that are high in fat are often high in unhealthy saturated fat and cholesterol that can clog arteries with plaque. Bacon, sausage, high-fat steak cuts are big offenders.

That said, eating a few pieces of bacon here and there are not likely to cause you any harm. They are relatively low calorie and I agree, absolutely delicious! Like everything, just eat in moderation :o)
  • baybeejulia
    baybeejulia Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    We go through a Costco-sized package of thick-sliced bacon a week.

My more-than-healthy numbers from my latest lipid panel caused my Nurse Practitioner friend to exclaim: "Bacon = good lipids!" :laugh:

Pig bacon forever! :drinker:

Lol I just made 100gm worth of bacon for my caesar salad.. I have no idea if that's too much or just about average. It's damn good nevertheless!