I really miss cheese!!!

Options
12346»

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Too bad you didn't try low carb diet. Cheese is acceptable in low carb :)

Or just stay away from restrictive diets and eat sensibly, then everything sensible (which would obviously include cheese) is acceptable.
  • kkzmom11
    kkzmom11 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    i could never and would never give up cheese. i will eat the full fat, good stuff a lot less often and a lot less of it. i will eat the reduced fat stuff. i will NEVER eat fat free cheese. LOL. so, i plan it into my day. :devil: :drinker:
  • thesophierose
    thesophierose Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    skim cheese?
  • notdieting
    notdieting Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    There's no need to cut out cheese. I eat it regularly.

You can buy low fat mature cheddar - get a good quality one though, it really does make all the difference between tasting like plastic and tasting nice. I buy Cathedral City which is about 150 cals for 50g.

Grating it is a good idea - it goes further.

Parmesan is another good cheese as it's powerful so you don't need a lot.

I use the Cathedral City Mature light too.....lovely flavour and if you use the fine grate on your cheese grater, you'd be surprised how far it can go. I rarely feel the need for more than 20g at a time. That is a good covering on a baked potato or a good amount for a sandwich. If you cook it into food, try adding just a touch of Marmite. I can't stand Marmite on its own, revolting stuff, but if you add it to cooked cheese it seems to really enhance the 'cheesiness'!
  • 271lisa
    271lisa Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I love cheese too AND I haven't given it up completely because the minute I make something forbidden the more I want it. I also don't believe in "diet" cheese. Have it in moderation and ENJOY it! :)
  • sunshyncatra
    sunshyncatra Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Don't cut the cheese! Har har har!

I mostly eat string cheese, which is 80 calories. The low calorie/fat options are not worth it.
  • mauld13
    mauld13 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've never replied to a post before, but had to because you struck a chord, because I LOVE CHEESE!!

One great option for a little snack is the Mini Babybel Lights - total portion control because it is wrapped in its own little package :-)

I agree with all of the posts that commented that you can't completely give up what you love, or you'll find yourself resentful and unable to follow through. I also agree that it's worth it to me to work out to know I have a few extra calories to use on something that will make me feel less deprived.

I know my weight loss doesn't show much here, but I had lost almost 20 pounds prior to starting on MFP (and down over 7% body fat), so I know that you can still be successful and have cheese! :happy:
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    i agree i just dont have the extra calories for it very often. today im actually having a slice. 80 calories. lol. every one has a different target calorie goal, so when someone says they easily eat two slices a day for 140 calories...well i do not have that luxury. and im ok with it. just some of dont have that extra room. oh yeah, and I have a string cheese every morning as part of my breakfast. the weight watchers brand 50 calorie one is so good and stringy. mmm.
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Just eat it and count it. I refuse to take out anything that I absolutely love from my diet. Eat it, track it, and enjoy it!! Yaaay cheese!
  • MikaMojito
    MikaMojito Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I absolutely adore cheese, too. I always take a sandwich to work but even the low-fat cheese sets me back too much for my taste, since my main meal is in the evening. So I've started swapping the cheese for a weird German thing called "Hähnchenbrust in Aspik" which I like well enough. I've also stopped putting cheese into friggin EVERYTHING.

Instead, I've decided to have cheese only rarely but then go and have something REALLY nice and - I know people don't like this - pig out completely. Yesterday I had some buffalo milk mozzarella. Delicious and worth every single calorie. And sometimes I meat with friends for a whole evening of cheese-eating. This happens about 4-6 times a year. I will not log those evenings. I'd rather cut out most of my cheese and then look forward to those rare wonderful evenings full of good cheese and even better company.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I still have some, but way way less than I used to. Some nights I just get a piece of full fat cheese if I have leftover calories, but I usually have low fat babybels or cheddar now. i do put goat cheese in salads or omelets sometimes though.
  • AllAboutThatTreble
    Options
    I too, love cheese.

I eat it almost every day AND I have the full calorie, full fat version if possible. I actually get upset if I accidentally buy low fat cheese.

1 oz of cheese is typically 80-120 calories. I'm sure you can fit that in somewhere.

Don't eliminate things you like! Just be sensible. Easier said than done, I know. But it can be done.
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I will never give up cheese! I have, however, learnt to weigh out how much I want and then put the box back in the fridge and WALK AWAY! Fit it in and the cravings go away.
  • battybecks
    battybecks Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Russell, that halloumi idea sounds fabulous!
    It is! Here's my lunch from today:
    175g pinto beans (boiled from dry, no salt), 15g sundried tomatoes (the kind in oil, I ran them under the hot tap to get rid of the oil), 75g lightly cooked tender stem broccoli, and 25g haloumi.
    fee3c17f-20ef-4e9b-82cf-440417371c1c_zps57193ed9.jpg
    368 calories: 9g fat, 20g fibre, 26g protein, 22% calcium

Looks lovely! The problem with that though is there is definitely not enough halloumi on that salad! ;)