Most badass/alpha exercise for a woman to perform?

Options
1235»

Replies

• Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I'd say either Deadlifts or Pull Ups.

Deadlifts because you can lift such a big amount of weight. And Pull Ups because they're just downright hard, not many women can do them, and honestly, there's something very empowering about being able to look over that bar after you pull yourself up.
  • Alehmer
    Alehmer Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Pullups
    Rope Climbs
    Olympic Lifts

Fight/Grapple. I have faced some very dangerous women and that just makes them 10x cooler.
    BTW, yes that photo is from real submission grappling competition.
    womenonlybjjsmash.jpg
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    My gym recently remodeled and took out all the bench presses and oly bars. Now we have 5 Smith machines. I have to do deadlifts, squats and bench presses in it as I don't have a choice (unless I want to use the barbells that only go up to 60 pounds).

I don't understand the hate about using the pad for the squats. I'm not trying out for the Olympics...I'm just trying to do better than I did the last time. Or maybe my form is wrong and that is why it hurts the top of my spine if I do it without the pad.

And now to ask a stupid question...since I have read about how you aren't supposed to do squats in the Smith machine from many people, what exercise are you supposed to do in it? Just curious...

Thanks!
  • sheclimbsrocks
    sheclimbsrocks Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Climbing chicks are badass. That is all.

:tongue:
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    why in the gym?
    there are way better things outside the gym???
    way better,
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    A well-executed Clean and Jerk would make me weak at the knees.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Climbing chicks are badass. That is all.

:tongue:
    Climbing rocks is badass. But so is *lifting* rocks. That is all. :tongue:
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    Anytime I see a woman in the gym doing unassisted chin ups or pull ups, I'm mirin. Same for guys actually, but especially weighted chin ups and pull ups
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    that's because you're doing cardio.

not lifting.

Lifting while doing cardio is NOT the same as heavy lifting.

i'ts cardio based.

They are two different animals.

I don't think anything that I can do excessively impressive- so to me weighted pull ups- not something I find incredibly impressive. 25+ lbs- starts to impress me. Or some of the pull up variations.

Pulling well over your body weight or lifting well over your body weight gets respect. It takes work.

Something else that impresses me- that side ways crow thing? Impresses the hell out of me. Leverage/inverted yoga type stuff- impresses me.

Shrug- I dunno. work is work. when someone says "impressive" it seems more like a trick. real dedication and work- just gets mad respect from me- which isn't so much of "impressed" shrug- semantics... but just a wondering thought I'm having at 1230 in the morning :D

Yeah, unassisted pullups being impressive for a female is setting the bar pretty low.

There are plenty of ladies out there that can legit do ring muscle ups and handstand pushups. Now THAT is impressive.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Yeah, unassisted pullups being impressive for a female is setting the bar pretty low.

There are plenty of ladies out there that can legit do ring muscle ups and handstand pushups. Now THAT is impressive.

agreed.

The only reason why women struggle with it is lack of muscular activation- they just don't know how to identify those muscles- and then the strength itself. Both of which are easily rectified with CONSISTENT training. I've been doing unassited pull ups for years- so to me it's not really THAT impressive. It's setting the bar low.

Speaking of muscle ups- I just started training again for them- my friends were talking/practicing- one can do it- the other can't and we were talking progression. So I hopped up to try again- turns out- i'm SLOW SLOW SLOW. I have no explosion at all. So I'm going to start with pulling myself with a "jump" at the top of the bar.

Probably alternate between weighted pulls and that "jump" pull up. I HAVE A PLAN!!!!!! I WILL be able to do this!!!
  • jstarz002
    Options
    My gym recently remodeled and took out all the bench presses and oly bars. Now we have 5 Smith machines. I have to do deadlifts, squats and bench presses in it as I don't have a choice (unless I want to use the barbells that only go up to 60 pounds).

I don't understand the hate about using the pad for the squats. I'm not trying out for the Olympics...I'm just trying to do better than I did the last time. Or maybe my form is wrong and that is why it hurts the top of my spine if I do it without the pad.

And now to ask a stupid question...since I have read about how you aren't supposed to do squats in the Smith machine from many people, what exercise are you supposed to do in it? Just curious...

Thanks!

What was the reason for your gym taking out the oly bars? Are they trying to be Planet Fitness? If it were me I would quit that gym and find another one that has them even if it means joining another gym. Why is this gym regressing?

Most of the time having your spine hurt from the bar is a form issue at first and also not being used to it. Read up on bar position; there is low bar and high bar... Lots of pics online to show proper bar position. Plus you are also supposed to squeeze your shoulder blades together as hard as humanly possible and create a shelf for the bar to sit on and pull the bar down as well really hard. As for "pain" when it will probably be sore for a week and a half (feels like a very tender bruise) and then your back toughens up and it doesn't hurt again.

I will use the Smith sometimes for split squats and step ups . I also use it for donkey kicks to work glutes.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options

Thanks!

I only really use the Smith machine for body weight rows and pull-ups/chins if everything else is taken. It is designed for squats, bench etc. and plenty of people use it for that I just think you don't get the same kind of a workout vs a rack