1 lb = 1 lb = 1 lb

Options
13»

Replies

• jclark0523
    jclark0523 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    When people say that, they are talking about comparing the same volume. The point they are trying to make is that the scale is not the ultimate indicator of fitness because a muscular fit person and fat person could weigh exactly the same, but the fat person is going to look a lot bigger because a pound of fat takes up a lot more space than a pound of muscle.
  • Lifelink
    Lifelink Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Aliens-meme.jpg
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 900 Member
    Options

I really do believe that people get their panties in a twist about this solely because they like to feel smarter than other people.

Bingo!

You win the prize!
  • rjmudlax13
    Options

"Muscle is more dense than fat" is meaningless if you do not specify the temperature and pressure they are both at.

Why doesn't that make you go bonkers as well???

OOOOO interesting thought so which would weigh more if you were on top of Olympus Mons during a Mars winter or at the bottom of the Marianas trench?

Someone geeeets it!
  • Superhero_Leah
    Options

I really do believe that people get their panties in a twist about this solely because they like to feel smarter than other people.

Bingo!

You win the prize!

lol love this
  • LosingExtraKristy
    LosingExtraKristy Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    This is SO old. Yeah...we know. When people say it, they are not saying a lb weighs more than a lb. I'm pretty sure people know this. :yawn: Old news.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I will take feathers, tw.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Person A: "Gold is more valuable than silver."

Person B: "Nuh uh. $100 worth of gold is exactly as valuable as $100 worth of silver!"

Derp.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Hey OP, after this you should start a Lose vs. Loose thread/rant. It'll be great and you will have so many friends!
  • rjmudlax13
    Options
    But, when you are comparing 2 variable you should keep all else constant, that way you can determine what it is you are testing for. So if you take equal volumes of fat and muscle, muscle will weigh more. So when people say muscle weighs more than fat, they mean by volume, since volume is implied it does not have to be stated.

I always thought that was basically implied...I don't know of anyone who actually thinks a Lb of one thing weighs more than a Lb of something else...that would be rather stupid.

You'd be surprised...and it has been stated at least once on the MFP forum. Not kidding.

I am not responsible for other people's stupidity.