I just want to run...

Options

Replies

• maddogg82
    maddogg82 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    What kind of shoes are you wearing? Did you get fitted for running shoes??? I would start there if you already have not... Best of Luck

YES!!! The correct Shoe Does WonDers!!!

I went for the longest time running with cheap shoes... until my husband decided to get me nice Running Shoes.. OMG.. were they worth it.. I enjoy running so much more now.
  • redredy9
    redredy9 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Hi newbie runner!

I have been running casually for a while and am in training for my 3rd marathon. I am not a super fast or small runner but I get to the finish line. I still get occasional aches and pains. What works for me (in addition to properly fitted shoes):

Stretching!:
    http://www.runnersworld.com/training/stretching
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_1/126.shtml
    http://beta.active.com/running/Articles/5-Key-Stretches-for-Runners

Warm up and cool down

Foam roller and the Stick!:
    http://www.runnersworld.com/injury-treatment/almost-magical-foam-roller?page=single
    http://running.about.com/od/shoesapparelandgear/gr/thestickreview.htm

Massage

Rest

Ice

Compression calf sleeves
    http://beta.active.com/gear/Articles/5-Reasons-to-Wear-Compression-Sleeves-and-Socks

I don't think you neccessarily need to do or buy all of this but these have worked for me. If nothing else, focus on stretching!

Happy Running!
  • asalembier
    asalembier Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I started C25K in May at 240 lbs in my neighbourhood. My shins killed so bad I could barely make it home. I ended up quitting because of the pain. I started again in July, on a outdoor track. What a difference it was! My neighbourhood is all hills and my legs weren't strong enough to do it. I start very slow, at 30 seconds of running/2.5 min of walking, and moved up gently. I did warm ups and cool downs, and I ran slow. I am now up to 25 min of straight running 9 weeks later. I agree with having running shoes fitted for your arch, as I know mine aren't and it hurts at times but unfortunately Walmart doesn't fit shoes and they are the cheapest. Also stretch afterwards, a really really good stretch. I stretch my calves on the stairs, I use golf balls under my feet, and I use pool noodles to massage my shins (not all at the same time though). It does get easier. Your shins are hurting probably due to tightness in the calves and the shins are overcompensating.

Good luck!
  • devinbear
    devinbear Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I wear a thirty dollar pair of New Balance I bought at TJMaxx. Before that I was wearing very old asics. I did not notice a difference in either shoe. I'm sure that well fitted shoes make a difference, but you do not have to shell out lots of money to feel better. I used to hate running. I used to say "I'm only running if I am being chased". I would get pain in my shins, knees, and hips. Running caused vericose veins in my legs, and they were very painful. I don't think running should hurt that much, or any exercise for that matter.

What helped me was training indoors half the time on doctor's advice. This relieved some of the pressure caused by running on concrete sidewalks. I also started wearing compression socks. I didn't buy the expensive pair, just a 7 dollar pair from a discount store. They work great. As others have said, and what helped me the most was, A: yoga. It feels amazing for loosening up tight muscles. B: Getting Stronger. Lifting weights, and strengthening my body made a huge difference. I went from nothing to being able to do my first chin up EVER in a few months. That was a big deal to me. My runs got easier during that process. I don't know if any of this is going to work for you, but it is what worked for me. I rarely have issues with vericose veins or pain in my shins, but I do have it occasionally.

So what I have found works for me is an integrated approach.

1. 2 short runs a week, 1 medium run, 1 longer run.
    2. 1 75 minute yoga class + stretch at home every day for 10 minutes or so
    3. Strength train 2 days a week
  • thesophierose
    thesophierose Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Train your body!? Do a HIIT interval to get you going. Walk 2 minutes, run 1 minute. Then when you can do that for the mile, move to walk one minute and run one minute. Then move to walk one minute run 2 minutes. <3 and get some good shoes! Best of luck!
  • dpwdash
    dpwdash Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I started a C25K program in early spring this year. I am F 220 # 38yo with no previous running expeirnce short of being chased. The best advice I have gotten is...
    1. Shoes
    2. Slow down
    3. See No.1
    4. See No.2
    5. Keep trucking.
    6. Take rest days very seriously.
    There is pain, no doubt, but it gets better. My current week looks like Run/Walk 30-40 minutes on Monday Wedesday and Friday, Xtrain Tuesday and Thursday with a long Run/Walk on Saturdays 60 or more minutes. This includes training for a 10K coming up in November.
    Good Luck!
  • laphillips12
    laphillips12 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    bump
  • beallh
    beallh Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem, still have the same problem.

I wasn't warming my body up enough. I just started running without walking first.
    My knees have always sucked and pushing them does nto help. I get runner's knee if I don't warm up properly or push myself too much too fast and then I'm out of running for months.
    Just take it slow, very slow, painfully slow.

:)
  • asp415
    asp415 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Ok, I get the thing about the shoes. And if I can ever get "into" running I can see spending the money on that for sure. I wear nike running shoes. Not the most expensive but not the cheapest either. They are lightweight and flexible.
    But shouldn't I be able to do a bit of light jogging (because that more accurately describes what I call running at this point) with just a decent pair of shoes? If I'm wrong please tell me but for the amount of running that I have done so far it seems to me like those shoes should've been ok.
    doesn't matter what brand it is.. or how light or flexible they are.

If you're wearing shoes that don't work for your feet, it's like putting square tires on a car and expecting a smooth ride.

If you're gonna run, or want to make the experience enjoyable... go get fitted at a legit running store.

^^^ this. I started w/inferior shoes & now have PF. Injury is not worth saving a few bucks. When I first started running it hurt, it burned, I ached, etc. but I stuck w/it. It isn't always easy & some days you think what the heck am I doing this for, BUT there is nothing else I would rather do. I absolutely love it.
  • BobcatGirl110
    BobcatGirl110 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    What kind of shoes are you wearing? Did you get fitted for running shoes??? I would start there if you already have not... Best of Luck

exactly this.

^^^^ THIS x10

I starting running at 204 with the C25k and I'm to 7 miles now but had to go get fitted for shoes so my shins didn't hurt. Do yourself the favor of going to a running store. If you are worried about cost then go get professionally fitted and they will put you on a treadmill and all to evaluate what shoe you need and you'll run in it then once you know what works for you then you can go out online an find it cheaper if you need to....but get fitted....it's worth the time and money a hundred times over!
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Can I recommend a book that really put me on the right path to becoming a runner? It's called Running for Mortals by John Bingham and I love this quote from the beginning:

"...you have to learn to run in the body that you're in right now. Those legs that you use every day are the legs of a runner. They're neither too short nor too long; they just are. The same is true of the rest of your body. It's also true of your mind and your spirit."

We all have to start with what we've got. Find a plan that helps you ease your body into learning what it has to do. This book has a ton of different plans from walk-running all the way up to distance training. There are a million other resources out there that have similar information and plans. If something isn't working for you, change it. There's no shame in starting over...I've done it at least three times so far and I've been running right at a year. As long as you don't give up.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options

exactly this.

Another vote for this. Go to a running store, not a shoe store and get properly fitted. Then start couch to 5k again, stick to the plan and it will get your entire body up to running shape not just your lungs. Cardio is the easiest to come by, getting your body to deal with the rigors of running, that's the trick.
  • fayefaye71
    Options
    when i run by knees would just kill me so a friend of mine (who a trainer) suggested I start taking glucosamine in the liquid form I will honestly tell you it has helped takes about a month or so b4 you notice also try a new pair of shoe. I replace mine every 6 months
  • BITEME_GRRR
    BITEME_GRRR Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    TWO WORDS FOR YOU IT CHANGED MY LIFE:

FOAM ROLLER

GET ONE. USE IT EVERY DAY. BEST MEDICINE EVER...
  • tkdgirlms
    Options
    Maybe runners knee (otherwise known as tendenitis) - you can get a band to wear just under the knee and it provides stability for knee cap.
  • emAZn
    emAZn Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    bump
  • stefa711
    stefa711 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    ...but my body hates it. I've tried a few times before. Used Couch to 5k apps. I alway quit because something hurts. Usually it's shin splints. I decided to try again with a goal of being able to run a mile. Monday I ran as much as I could and walked the rest. Tuesday I used the elliptical. Tonight I ran outside again and did more running than walking but my right knee started aching a little as I was running. Now that I'm home it is throbbing. Not excruciating, but enough that it is uncomfortable. I put ice on it for about 15 min.
    My shins feel fine right now.
    Any idea what this thing with the knee is? It's just above my knee on the inner side. I'm planning on either using the elliptical again tomorrow or just resting depending on how it feels. Is this something I can work through? Or should I stay off it until the pain goes away?
    Why can't I just run and not hurt anything?
    I am over weight but not so much that I think I'm too big to run. I'm 5' 9" 180 pounds.
    Just looking for any advice, tips on how to start running and stay injury free.
    Thanks

Running hurts. You can make excuses and claim aches and pains or you can just get out there and do it. In the end, it's worth it. It never gets easier, you just get better at it. I am a marathoner and to this day still have the occasional run where I'm hurting before I hit 1/2 mile. You know what I do? I keep running.
    Don't run with an actual injury (you will only worsen it), but do learn to run through minor aches and pains.
  • SkinnyFatAlbert
    SkinnyFatAlbert Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Part of exercise in general seems to sometimes be just pushing through the aches. Not every pain is a sign that you're doing something wrong, dying, or injured. Until you've done it a while it may just be a sign you're not conditioned.
  • brandipoo
    brandipoo Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I'm not a runner, but I run and hoping to get better. This sucks, but keep going. I was almost derailed by shin splints that were killer, but I started sitting on my heels (yes like a little kid) and it helped tremendously. Great shoes are definitely good too and keep at it. C25k is great. Don't get down if you have to do a day over, or even a week over. You'll get better. Supplement the off days with something like the elliptical. I'm doing c25k on a treadmill to work on my speed because I have a pretty good aerobic base. Don't give up! Friend me if you like!
  • twoboysnmygirl
    twoboysnmygirl Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    You've gotten some good advice on shoes and form, I just wanted to add: It hurts in the beginning. Well, it hurts later as well when you start building mileage and training for faster speeds as well and occasionally with injury...but I hurt for DAYS when I first started running. The first time I actually quit for a couple years but when I went back to it, I took it slow, iced a LOT, and built my body up. I think you have to build those muscles and it just hurts a lot in the beginning. Slow down even more but don't quit! It's so rewarding and so worth it in the end!
This discussion has been closed.