Top 10 MFP community falsehoods

Options

Replies

• osothefinn
    osothefinn Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Ok I really really have an issue with this one and I want to know the truth -

"Eat back your exercise calories".

Will the above statement have a different effect on a person weighing 300 pounds vs one weighing 125 pounds? I myself at 300 pounds do NOT want to eat back my exercise calories. i want to lose every single calorie i can muster up. At my weight i dont think i am anywhere near starvation mode if i do. (its not that much anyway).

I don't eat them back. Why do all that work for no extra loss as the reward?

You can do more damage than good if you're netting to low....that would be one reason.

In my case MFP tells me to eat 2600. I'm eating 2200, with about 180g of protein daily. 2200 cals is plenty even not eating back exercise cals. If you're at a very low intake or close to your goal, you would probably want to eat them back yes. I don't make the assumption that what I'm doing is applicable in every situation.
  • fatfudgery
    fatfudgery Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I also love the anecdotal advice dismissing the potential harm of artificial ingredients in our diets.

25TR86F.gif
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Ok I really really have an issue with this one and I want to know the truth -

"Eat back your exercise calories".

Will the above statement have a different effect on a person weighing 300 pounds vs one weighing 125 pounds? I myself at 300 pounds do NOT want to eat back my exercise calories. i want to lose every single calorie i can muster up. At my weight i dont think i am anywhere near starvation mode if i do. (its not that much anyway).

I don't eat them back. Why do all that work for no extra loss as the reward?

You can do more damage than good if you're netting to low....that would be one reason.

In my case MFP tells me to eat 2600. I'm eating 2200, with about 180g of protein daily. 2200 cals is plenty even not eating back exercise cals. If you're at a very low intake or close to your goal, you would probably want to eat them back yes. I don't make the assumption that what I'm doing is applicable in every situation.

That's why I said IF you net too low. I'd tip over if I didn't
  • jball1954
    jball1954 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Best post on here ever.
  • sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Love it! Thank you SO much! :)
  • KellyBurton1
    KellyBurton1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    :drinker:
  • RGv2
    Options
    Best post on here ever.

Minus the incorrect info, right?
  • jilly1130
    jilly1130 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kevinjb1
    kevinjb1 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Amazing post OP. Love it.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Time machine to 1950s:

"I also love the anecdotal advice dismissing the potential harm of tobacco."

25TR86F.gif

Oh Picard, when are you going to learn?
  • nainai0585
    nainai0585 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Thank-you for posting! FINALLY somone with an ounce of common sense (sincerely thankful, no sarcasim)
  • nainai0585
    nainai0585 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I feel this should be a sticky somewhere on this site...

Agreed with everything.

Fully agree - but sadly, we all know it will never happen.
  • homerjspartan
    homerjspartan Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Cliffs?

Tl;dr I'm going to simplify this whole diet and fitness thing by writing an entire freaking essay that's got some truths but just about as many flaws.
    ^this

+2

11) I met the guy from Nantucket, and the legend about him was grosely exaggerated.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Ha. You said +2-lbs of muscle in a year.........hardly.......at least not naturally.
  • rprobbins
    Options
    Great write-up...
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Bump because this should be entertaining.
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options

5.) I have a slow Metabolism

Your metabolism is not by default faster or slower than everyone else's. It just isn't. Your level of physical activity, your diet, your current state of and/or history of obesity, and your overall size and frame do affect your metabolism. But yours is going to be pretty much the same as someone else with the same background and stats. As with all things, there is some variation within those groups, but it's not a significant amount. Your Metabolism, as we commonly call it, is actually a measure of the rate at which your body can digest, absorb, and put nutrients to use. This rate is primarily governed by the health of your organs and the levels of several different hormones in your bloodstream. There *are* people with naturally higher levels of these hormones, or natural resistance to them... but it's not nearly common enough for so many weight problems to be blamed on genetics or "slow metabolisms". But, we still like to blame things (see point #2), so we do. Also, eating 9x per day will not keep your metabolism in high gear. Nor will eating certain foods like raspberry ketones. Your metabolism just doesn't have multiple speeds that you can control in such ways.
    So, you're saying that there is no such thing as a metabolic disorder which can cause a reduced/accelerated metabolism? Have you never heard of thyroid disease?

http://www.csa.com/discoveryguides/thyroid/overview.php
    One important function of TH (thyroid hormone) is helping the body convert food into energy and heat. T3 (Triiodothyronine) directly boosts energy metabolism in mitochondria, the powerhouses of cells. T3 triggers rapid protein synthesis and influences mitochondrial gene transcription, the reading of genes and synthesis of proteins from genetic information. These activities cause breakdown of proteins and an increase in free fatty acids, as well as increased oxygen use. TH elevates the heart rate to meet the increased oxygen needs.

TH also regulates body temperature. TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone), which stimulates the thyroid to produce TH, also stimulates brown adipose tissue, a mitochondria-rich tissue, to boost heat production in mammals without muscle activity. TH fluctuates in response to caloric intake and external temperature.
    (emphasis mine)

I don't use my thyroid disease as an excuse, but rather as a motivator. It *does* cause a slowed metabolism (hypothyroidism), but I'm regulated with medication and I work out to boost it. I've accepted that, due to this disease, if I want to stay the size I am, I will likely ALWAYS have to work out, which isn't a BAD thing, at least as far as my health, but wasn't anything fun to learn.

I will grant you that many people who claim to have a slow metabolism are likely just making excuses for their weight; however you cannot say that there is no such thing as a slow metabolism and be speaking the truth.
  • RGv2
    Options
    Bump because this should be entertaining.

Should? Already is. :happy:
  • TPlenge
    TPlenge Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Bravo!
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I also love the anecdotal advice dismissing the potential harm of artificial ingredients in our diets.

25TR86F.gif
    Time machine to 1950s:

"I also love the anecdotal advice dismissing the potential harm of tobacco."

Science. Do you guys even know how it works?

"I think spinach causes cancer."
    "You have no proof of that, only anecdotal evidence"
    "People once said the Earth was flat because of anecdotal evidence, therefore I'm right"