Top 10 MFP community falsehoods

Options

Replies

• LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    10.) I did something and got results, so that is the way.

This might as well be #1... I give up on prioritizing these things. Regardless of its place on my list this is very important. Things get repeated as gospel because they "worked" for someone.

I also love the anecdotal advice dismissing the potential harm of artificial ingredients in our diets. “Dude, I eat and drink all of this processed garbage, full of wicked artificial ingredients that I can’t pronounce, and like, I have a 6 pack and 3% body fat! And I feel awesome, so it must be okay!” Here’s a crazy theory - perhaps it takes years before the harmful effects of these substances start impacting your health!
    Or, more likely, considering the massive lack of evidence, IT DOESN'T.
  • james6998
    james6998 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    You tell me, I am 219lbs 6' and have a daily calorie goal of 1850 just reduced from 1950 and i weigh everything and don't go over.
    Still losing weight, BF%, size is getting bigger in measurements. My results speak for themselves, i am living proof what more do you need to debunk a myth.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    How do you know you're at a 500+ deficit?

Because I track everything, and calculate the "actual" caloric deficit based on the measured weight loss. Tracking everything allows me to not only calculate my actual deficit, it allows me to break down TDEE into "exercise" and "everyday ****" components. I run 5 and 7 day averages on everything, so I can see both trends and instantaneous changes.

Spreadsheet is getting a bit big, though, lol....
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Confession: I do 30-40 mins of sweat your butt off cardio 6 times a week and 45-60 mins of weights 3-4 times per week. I figured out my TDEE and reduced by 20% but I don't eat back a single calorie. MFP doesn't know I am in a "deficit" becasue I don't log exercise becasue I don't want it messing with my numbers. And, I think it is fine to loose 1-2 pounds per week and its a total bonus if you happen to lose a bit more. And, once a week I serve high sodium, low calorie frozen dinners to get through a crazy night becasue all in all I think it is better than hitting McDonald's drive through <gasp>. And I like salt. I even salt my apples. And the only Macro I try to come close to hitting is protein becasue I have always had a tough time eating enough protein. And I tried not to weigh myself everyday and moved to once a week...that lasted 3 days. Now, I weigh myself everday.

Thank you Thank you thank you thank you!! Becasue I felt like this horrible person not adhering to this perfect MFP plan...

Salt and frozen dinners?!! Tut tut! Not very clean ;)

(Seriously, though, sounds like a very sensible plan and attitude to me!)
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    I get really tired of threads that begin with "I get really tired of . . . "

Better place for this sort of writing is your feed.
  • mandeenicoleb
    mandeenicoleb Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I very much enjoyed reading this. Thanks for taking the time to type that up so well and post it. You have more patience than me :)
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Or the blog feature that MFP provides
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options

Because I track everything, and calculate the "actual" caloric deficit based on the measured weight loss. Tracking everything allows me to not only calculate my actual deficit, it allows me to break down TDEE into "exercise" and "everyday ****" components. I run 5 and 7 day averages on everything, so I can see both trends and instantaneous changes.

I wasn't saying you weren't tracking, I was asking how you verified the accuracy of your measurements.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

I get really tired of being tired of people tired of tired threads
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

:laugh:
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

I wasn't saying you weren't tracking, I was asking how you verified the accuracy of your measurements.

I just told you - by calculating the deficit from the actual, measured results.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

Oh, they are verified with 100% accuracy to prove their point. Just like the guy with a 40 inch waist who says he is 12% bodyfat:laugh:
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

Maybe I'm a special snowflake but I've never gotten really tired, or just plain tired from anything thread related.

I take that back. I did get kinda sleepy one day when my physics professor went off on a tangent about string theory during his 100 level class.

Threads and strings are sorta related, right?
  • She_Hulk
    Options
    Calculate 31kcal per day per lb of fat mass. That's your maximum sustainable deficit, without cutting into LBM too often. Find a point somewhere between maintenance and that number that gets you to your goal as fast or as slow as you want to get there.

How does one figure out their fat mass? Subtract LBM from your current overall weight? How do you measure that accurately? Fitness Frog seems to be the only online calculator that I've found. Just curious. Thank you!
  • ElaineRN100
    ElaineRN100 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Nice information without having to weed through tons of boring medical jargon. But then, one needs to research all aspects of a healthy lifestyle choice - what they eat, etc. Knowledge is empowerment.
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    In...

...to read later.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options

How tiresome. :yawn: :yawn: :yawn:
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options

I just told you - by calculating the deficit from the actual, measured results.

If you're springing for a Dexa every 3 weeks, I'm sure you recognize that BMR/TDEE estimations are just that, and was also asking the accuracy of your intake measurements.
  • jess7386
    jess7386 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    bumping to read later