Replies

• Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options

The point
    >

Your head
    >

The scientific nature of your debating skills is awe inspiring....science, brah, now it all makes sense
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    simple math.
    I weigh myself = loss in weight
    I measure myself= increased size
    tests indicate BF% dropped.
    Eating at 1950 was calculated at least 500- deficit, most likely more.

Most importantly for me, I am getting bigger, more ripped, and stronger, while eating less than i "so called" should, getting results.
    Then again i could just be special.

I think you mentioned a while back that your testosterone levels were higher than normal? Are you supplementing? Young men can see pretty wild results with fat loss and muscle gain at the same time.

What body composition changes have the DEXA scans shown? Honestly curious.
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I can do something easy -

I can weigh myself in the evening, and then in the morning.. i make a note on my calendar what the weight is. i also track my food, i also track my food trends, i notice these trends have a pattern. i see when i change the pattern my wieght changes. for ME, i see that works. I cannot recommend my trends to anyone because not everyone is me.

I notice when i eat a heavy dinner at night i weigh more in the mornign than if i eat a light dinner at night. i cant explain that but it seems true for me.

if i eat out at Olive Garden - high sodium meal - on the weekned, i pay for it with higher water weight fot the next three days and by god, i start to lose weight again by thursday, and yep, this happened again today.

i think i can pretty much count on that to guage my progress. If a trend goes badly for too long, then i know something is wrong.

Like one time, at band camp, lol..

no seriously, one time i swear i was on a pleateau when i started, when i didn't know better, but when that "plateau" turned into 3 weeks, turns out i was underestimated my calories. people here told me to weigh a measure.. i was eyeballing. wow.

amazing what you learn along the way.

so whats up with the above?????
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    InB4 Coach Reddy.

I'm not sure why but this made me snort. :laugh:
  • evanblove
    evanblove Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    BTRL
  • daltem
    daltem Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Well said!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I get really tired of threads that begin with "I get really tired of . . . "

Better place for this sort of writing is your feed.

Or the blog feature that MFP provides

I get really tired of being tired of people tired of tired threads

well now I am freaking exhausted!!
  • sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    Great post, thank you for sharing! Sometimes it is hard for people to make sense of all the garbage that is spread around supposedly under the premise of "weight loss wisdom". I appreciate the time you took to express this is plain english!
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options

The point
    >

Your head
    >

The scientific nature of your debating skills is awe inspiring....science, brah, now it all makes sense

You're wrong because it was proven that hair color is hereditary.
  • PJ64
    PJ64 Posts: 866 Member
    Options

well now I am freaking exhausted!!

:yawn:
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    This should be made into a sticky post! Thank you for all the hard work you put into crafting this post!
  • kyleekay10
    kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options

How tiresome. :yawn: :yawn: :yawn:

Great, guys. Now I'm exhausted. :angry: :yawn:
  • abeare
    abeare Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Nonsense, I know the reason I’m not losing weight is because I have a slow metabolism, I should do like my neighbor who’s a personal trainer, He’s gluten free and tells me I’m fat because I’m in starvation mode and I should up my calories and stick to the number my TDEE/BMR says to a tea! He also said I shouldn’t lift heavy weight because I first need to lose the weight and then to watch how much I lift so that I don’t bulk up!

Ok, so I didn’t manage to work in AT in this whole thing, but that’s honestly because I don’t understand it too well, but I think you’ll get a good laugh out of it anyway!
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

How tiresome. :yawn: :yawn: :yawn:

Great, guys. Now I'm exhausted. :angry: :yawn:

I'm already in bed for a nap . . .
  • joshdann
    joshdann Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    oh, one more thing - I did not intentionally skip any thyroid-related issues in my post. My wife has hypothyroidism, so I'm pretty familiar with the effects it can have. Undiagnosed and/or untreated it can certainly throw a monkey wrench in the mix... but also, it's not the most common thing in the world. Yes, people have thyroid issues. No, it's not the most likely explanation for the majority of issues people have with weight loss. Absolutely go see your doctor if you suspect you have a thyroid condition.

Apparently, the concept of self-education isn't going to be embraced on this thread, so here are some of the more crucial references I think people should read. There are more, and some of these can be pretty difficult to quickly comprehend if you're not used to the language, but have at them:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0022519304004175

http://ajpendo.physiology.org/content/291/1/E23 (related to above)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_Starvation_Experiment (yes, it's wikipedia. but it also has a good collection to links and articles about the Minnesota experiment that do contain good data)

I apologize for not keeping bookmarks of where I gained all fitness-related knowledge for the past several years of doing research off and on. The ones I included here are ones I bookmarked to go back and read again later. I already recommended checking out the works of Lyle MacDonald and Mike Roussel, but in case google is on the fritz today, here are some links to their stuff. Bear in mind that both of them are professional authors. Sometimes you have to dig fairly deeply to find the science they're using, but sometimes it's also on the surface.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/ - lyle macdonald's site. I don't agree with him 100% but I do read 100% of what he writes (that I can find).

http://www.youtube.com/user/mikeroussell - he has other sites that get much more into the business of separating us from our money... but he does have a knack for breaking down complicated science into more digestible bits. Take him with a grain of salt, but do watch.
  • tawanda6329
    tawanda6329 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I disagree with #6. I think more people today have an intolerance to gluten than you think. Avoiding Wheat/Gluten is no easy task and by no means is an easy out. I struggle everyday trying to avoid these items. I didn’t cut out Wheat/Gluten to lose weight. I cut it out to improve my health (heartburn, chest pain, itching, stomach pains, bloating, acne). Granted, if I didn’t have immediate reactions after eating Wheat/Gluten, I will probably still eat it.

There is not a test that can verify a Wheat/Gluten intolerance. You just have to cut it out and see if your symptoms improve.
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    ***snif *** no one heard me... now im butthurt :(
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Apparently, the concept of self-education isn't going to be embraced on this thread

Since you know so much and have been on MFP so long...this^ should NOT surprise you At. All. Or haven't you seen the amount of period threads on here?

that's just one example.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Have you really read the Alpert study?

I mean even the abstract disagrees with you

" The solution shows a steady-state term which is in agreement with conventional ideas, a term indicating a slow decrease of much of the FFM moderated by the limited energy transferred from the fat store, and a final term showing an unprotected rapid decrease of the remaining part of the FFM. The average resting metabolic rate of subjects undergoing hypophagia is shown to decrease linearly as a function of the FFM with a slope of (249±25) kJ/kg d. This value disagrees with the results of other observers who have measured metabolic rates of diverse groups. The disagreement is explained in terms of individual metabolic properties as opposed to those of the larger population."

What do you think he's saying?
  • Bebubble
    Bebubble Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    oh, one more thing - I did not intentionally skip any thyroid-related issues in my post. My wife has hypothyroidism, so I'm pretty familiar with the effects it can have. Undiagnosed and/or untreated it can certainly throw a monkey wrench in the mix... but also, it's not the most common thing in the world. Yes, people have thyroid issues. No, it's not the most likely explanation for the majority of issues people have with weight loss. Absolutely go see your doctor if you suspect you have a thyroid condition.

Apparently, the concept of self-education isn't going to be embraced on this thread, so here are some of the more crucial references I think people should read. There are more, and some of these can be pretty difficult to quickly comprehend if you're not used to the language, but have at them:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0022519304004175

http://ajpendo.physiology.org/content/291/1/E23 (related to above)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_Starvation_Experiment (yes, it's wikipedia. but it also has a good collection to links and articles about the Minnesota experiment that do contain good data)

I apologize for not keeping bookmarks of where I gained all fitness-related knowledge for the past several years of doing research off and on. The ones I included here are ones I bookmarked to go back and read again later. I already recommended checking out the works of Lyle MacDonald and Mike Roussel, but in case google is on the fritz today, here are some links to their stuff. Bear in mind that both of them are professional authors. Sometimes you have to dig fairly deeply to find the science they're using, but sometimes it's also on the surface.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/ - lyle macdonald's site. I don't agree with him 100% but I do read 100% of what he writes (that I can find).

http://www.youtube.com/user/mikeroussell - he has other sites that get much more into the business of separating us from our money... but he does have a knack for breaking down complicated science into more digestible bits. Take him with a grain of salt, but do watch.

This is what my physician basically told me:

Hypothyroidism, is rapidly becoming a health epidemic in the United States. A common health issue for women, hypothyroidism is routinely misdiagnosed in thousands and thousands of women, due in large part.
    "The laboratory range of what is considered normal thyroid function is an arbitrary value with a range that is so vast, that 90 to 95% of the population will fall into the "normal range." Another issue that contributes to the misdiagnosis is that physicians tend to rely primarily on just one test - the TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) test. In order to get an accurate picture of thyroid function, healthcare providers should test not only for TSH levels, but for thyroid antibodies, and two other very important hormones as well: T4 and T3.

In order to accurately test for hypothyroidism, patients should undergo a complete series of thyroid tests, which would include the TSH test, along with other blood tests which measure the levels of T4, T3, and thyroid antibody levels.
    Blood tests are the most accurate measure for diagnosing hypothyroidism. However, including the basal body temperature can also help as a general measure as well. Because your thyroid controls your basal body temperature, it can help you gauge how much T3 is active in your cells.
    If your basal body temperature is below 97.8 degrees Fahrenheit for at least 3 days in a row, it is very likely your thyroid function is low. Following up with the necessary blood tests would then be appropriate to get a better picture.
    If you think you may be suffering with hypothyroidism, but have been told by your physician that your thyroid function is normal, seek a second opinion. It may be that more tests are needed to confirm the diagnosis.