Top 10 MFP community falsehoods

Options

Replies

• mommabenefield
    mommabenefield Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I also love the anecdotal advice dismissing the potential harm of artificial ingredients in our diets.

25TR86F.gif
    Time machine to 1950s:

"I also love the anecdotal advice dismissing the potential harm of tobacco."

Science. Do you guys even know how it works?

"I think spinach causes cancer."
    "You have no proof of that, only anecdotal evidence"
    "People once said the Earth was flat because of anecdotal evidence, therefore I'm right"

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRSkIcx2MwW2saGaSH6LA5-v9WvbSpV66A66kOGgPCEnFzczGhk
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    4.) Muscle gain is not possible on a deficit, and LBM loss always happens with fat loss

Just to throw in some personal evidence here. JD has heard this already as he and I and a couple of others have had extended public and private chats about this.

I track everything, daily, including BF%. Have been for about two months now. In that time frame, I've lost 13 pounds, or right at 1.5 lbs/week, as predicted by total caloric deficit. When I started logging, I had 172 lbs of LBM. As of this morning I have...172 lbs of LBM.

Zero loss.

I make sure to hit my protein macros (150-200g/day) and I do 5x5 twice a week (plus a whack of cardio). It certainly seems to be working - while I'm not adding additional muscle mass, I'm clearly preserving what I have. And frankly, at that level of LBM, I'll still be over 200 lbs at 15% BF - it's not like there's a shortage of "beef" under there! :)

Note that because muscle tissue is constantly being torn down and built back up automatically inside the body, the fact that I am maintaining LBM necessarily means that my body is in fact building new muscle, even on a 20% caloric deficit. Otherwise I couldn't maintain LBM.
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    That is, without a doubt, the most intelligent and well-articulated post that I've ever read on these forums, and I agree with you 100%. Well done, sir.

Absolutely!
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    4.) Muscle gain is not possible on a deficit, and LBM loss always happens with fat loss

Just to throw in some personal evidence here. JD has heard this already as he and I and a couple of others have had extended public and private chats about this.

I track everything, daily, including BF%. Have been for about two months now. In that time frame, I've lost 13 pounds, or right at 1.5 lbs/week, as predicted by total caloric deficit. When I started logging, I had 172 lbs of LBM. As of this morning I have...172 lbs of LBM.

Zero loss.

I make sure to hit my protein macros (150-200g/day) and I do 5x5 twice a week (plus a whack of cardio). It certainly seems to be working - while I'm not adding additional muscle mass, I'm clearly preserving what I have. And frankly, at that level of LBM, I'll still be over 200 lbs at 15% BF - it's not like there's a shortage of "beef" under there! :)

Note that because muscle tissue is constantly being torn down and built back up automatically inside the body, the fact that I am maintaining LBM necessarily means that my body is in fact building new muscle, even on a 20% caloric deficit. Otherwise I couldn't maintain LBM.
    Who measures your bf%
  • james6998
    james6998 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    My fav is the "Abs are made in the kitchen" NO, they might start in the kitchen but they finish in the gym. Heavy resistant training like any other muscle.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    i am down with everything you are saying except four ...I dont really see how you can build muscle in a 500 calorie deficit. My understanding is that you need energy to build muscle, and while in a calorie deficit, you are also in an energy deficit. Other than that, I love this post...so much BS on the threads...

currently building muscle at a 500 calorie deficit :) granted, it'll be newbie gains but still.

OP: couldn't agree more.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    i am down with everything you are saying except four ...I dont really see how you can build muscle in a 500 calorie deficit. My understanding is that you need energy to build muscle, and while in a calorie deficit, you are also in an energy deficit. Other than that, I love this post...so much BS on the threads...

currently building muscle at a 500 calorie deficit :) granted, it'll be newbie gains but still.

OP: couldn't agree more.
    How do you know your building muscle?
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Time machine to 1950s:

"I also love the anecdotal advice dismissing the potential harm of tobacco."

25TR86F.gif

Oh Picard, when are you going to learn?

Time machine back to the 90's when people thought eggs would raise your cholesterol. Or back to the 80s when people said the polar ice caps would be melted by... last year. Or back to the 1880's when people thought the worlds copper supply would be gone by... decades ago. It seems going back in time can net two different results. I guess time machines aren't the end all beat all of the debate world.
  • FitCanuckChick
    FitCanuckChick Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Confession: I do 30-40 mins of sweat your butt off cardio 6 times a week and 45-60 mins of weights 3-4 times per week. I figured out my TDEE and reduced by 20% but I don't eat back a single calorie. MFP doesn't know I am in a "deficit" becasue I don't log exercise becasue I don't want it messing with my numbers. And, I think it is fine to loose 1-2 pounds per week and its a total bonus if you happen to lose a bit more. And, once a week I serve high sodium, low calorie frozen dinners to get through a crazy night becasue all in all I think it is better than hitting McDonald's drive through <gasp>. And I like salt. I even salt my apples. And the only Macro I try to come close to hitting is protein becasue I have always had a tough time eating enough protein. And I tried not to weigh myself everyday and moved to once a week...that lasted 3 days. Now, I weigh myself everday.

Thank you Thank you thank you thank you!! Becasue I felt like this horrible person not adhering to this perfect MFP plan...
  • tambam69
    tambam69 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    bump to read later...
  • Mr_Knight
    Options

Zero loss.

Who measures your bf%

I do the day-to-day, with a machine, and have a DEXA scan every three weeks as backup/confirmation. I was expecting the home doodad to have....dubious...numbers, but it's been quite consistent and tracks very well with the more comprehensive scan method. But I am borderline compulsive about doing the measurement the same way, everyday, that probably helps! :)
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    Thank you Thank you thank you thank you!! Becasue I felt like this horrible person not adhering to this perfect MFP plan...

You're not alone - there are lots of us here using the "TDEE minus" method! I still log exercise, though, I just ignore what MFP says about it. :)
  • Keenertobeleaner
    Options
    That is, without a doubt, the most intelligent and well-articulated post that I've ever read on these forums, and I agree with you 100%. Well done, sir.

<-- What he said!
  • james6998
    james6998 Posts: 743 Member
    Options

Zero loss.

Who measures your bf%

I do the day-to-day, with a machine, and have a DEXA scan every three weeks as backup/confirmation.

Same with the DEXA scan and i have been gaining muscle and losing BF% on 500+ deficit.
  • Brige2269
    Brige2269 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    TAG
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Sorry OP, in order to gain muscle on a deficit one needs to be fat enough that their fat cells can supply the excess energy needed to build muscle.

I think you are absolutely right, but I read OP as saying only that it's possible for some people to gain muscle while eating at some levels of deficit. I may have misread, but that's what I got.

It does seem like the idea that gaining muscle while in deficit is never possible does get sometimes repeated as an absolute, and I don't think that's helpful -- especially for newbies like me. I recently started regular bodyweight exercise (pushups, pullups, chinups) some dumbbell lifting and very light deadlifts. I'm 6'2" and 181lbs. and have been eating at a very slight deficit to lose slowly. To my surprise, I'm building a bit of muscle mass --- I'm 10 pounds lighter and a little more muscular than I was in July when I started (for example, I've gained 1" on my bicep, which is the only measurement that I thought to take when I started).

Getting slightly bigger has been a big surprise for me because folks who are stronger/slimmer/more experienced told me that I could not get bigger while in deficit. I think getting a little bigger is possible for me because I have the fat to lose and I just started strength training after years of not doing it regularly. For the folks who told me it's not possible --- I think they have less fat and their idea of a deficit may be more drastic than my very moderate version, so for them building muscle in deficit is not possible.

the inexperienced beginner can have "newbie gains" but these are relatively short lived. What you may have experienced is a combination of newbie gains and the loss of body fat, which is "showing" more of your muscle.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Lot of typing with no references or citations. Nyuh uh. Uh huh.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    Same with the DEXA scan and i have been gaining muscle and losing BF% on 500+ deficit.

Good stuff! :drinker:

My deficit is quite a bit larger than 500 calories - I haven't done the math, but mental paper napkin does suggest LBM increase if I upped my intake without decreasing activity level. It's also possible that swapping out some cardio for a third lifting day would make a difference.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options

Zero loss.

Who measures your bf%

I do the day-to-day, with a machine, and have a DEXA scan every three weeks as backup/confirmation.

You get a DEXA every 3 weeks? Sounds like a bit of overkill but ok.

How do you know you're at a 500+ deficit?