Options

Replies

• Fat2Fit4Life
    Fat2Fit4Life Posts: 599 Member
    Options
  • wjstoj
    wjstoj Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Sorry folks - work called and asked me to do some. :)

A frog fell into a hole that was 14 1/2 feet deep. He could jump 3 feet, but he slid back a foot each time he jumped. How many jumps does it take him to get out of the hole?

• Fat2Fit4Life
    Options
    Here's one...

At the recent inter-departmental jam making contest, four lucky candidates took part to make the juiciest strawberry jam. The ages of the contestants were 14, 17, 20 and 22. As it happens the person who came last was the oldest, whereas Stuart was three years older than the person who came second. James was neither the oldest nor the youngest and Kev finished ahead of the 17 year old, but didn't win. John was also unlucky this time and didn't win either. Can you determine who finished where and how old they are?

James who is twenty
    Kev who is fourteen
    Stuart who is seventeen
    and John who is twenty-two
    ???
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options

A frog fell into a hole that was 14 1/2 feet deep. He could jump 3 feet, but he slid back a foot each time he jumped. How many jumps does it take him to get out of the hole?

8 jumps
  • smesche
    smesche Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Here's one...

At the recent inter-departmental jam making contest, four lucky candidates took part to make the juiciest strawberry jam. The ages of the contestants were 14, 17, 20 and 22. As it happens the person who came last was the oldest, whereas Stuart was three years older than the person who came second. James was neither the oldest nor the youngest and Kev finished ahead of the 17 year old, but didn't win. John was also unlucky this time and didn't win either. Can you determine who finished where and how old they are?

James who is twenty
    Kev who is fourteen
    Stuart who is seventeen
    and John who is twenty-two
    ???

Yep!!
  • Fat2Fit4Life
    Options

8 jumps

nope!
  • BigDog
    BigDog Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Frog jump answer:

Effectively 2' per jump except for the last which would get all 3' so...

7 jumps.
  • Fat2Fit4Life
    Options
    Frog jump answer:

Effectively 2' per jump except for the last which would get all 3' so...

7 jumps.

CORRECT!
  • Fat2Fit4Life
    Options
    How much dirt would be in a hole 6 feet deep and 6 feet wide that has been dug with a square edged shovel?
  • JenAndSome
    Options
    How much dirt would be in a hole 6 feet deep and 6 feet wide that has been dug with a square edged shovel?

none
  • Fat2Fit4Life
    Options

none

CORRECT
  • JenAndSome
    Options

none

CORRECT

Finally! I'm having a slow day. :grumble:
  • CantonMan1234
    CantonMan1234 Posts: 142 Member
    Options

No dirt in a hole
  • Fat2Fit4Life
    Options
    One morning as Paul was getting his newspaper, he noticed on his new house something that needed to be fixed.

Heading over to the hardware store, he spoke to the manager, describing his problem. The manager said, "I know just what you need". He led Paul down some aisles and stopped in front of some bins. Digging down into some of the bins, he set something up on the shelf.

"I saw your house when it was built", the manager said. "Here's all that you'll need and how much it'll cost...

five will be 15 cents
    while fifty will be 30 cents
    250 will be 45 cents
    while 2507 will only cost you 60 cents.

One lady, about 20 blocks from your house, bought 30247 and only paid 75 cents! These are black, but they also come in gold and silver." What was the manager selling?
  • CantonMan1234
    CantonMan1234 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    One morning as Paul was getting his newspaper, he noticed on his new house something that needed to be fixed.

Heading over to the hardware store, he spoke to the manager, describing his problem. The manager said, "I know just what you need". He led Paul down some aisles and stopped in front of some bins. Digging down into some of the bins, he set something up on the shelf.

"I saw your house when it was built", the manager said. "Here's all that you'll need and how much it'll cost...

five will be 15 cents
    250 will be 45 cents

One lady, about 20 blocks from your house, bought 30247 and only paid 75 cents! These are black, but they also come in gold and silver." What was the manager selling?

House numbers (actual digits for the address)
  • Fat2Fit4Life
    Options

five will be 15 cents
    250 will be 45 cents

House numbers (actual digits for the address)

CORRECT!
  • LavaDoll
    LavaDoll Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    now this is a clever thread.
  • Denjo060
    Denjo060 Posts: 1,008
    Options
    Now my brain hurts :laugh:
  • bigphatcat
    bigphatcat Posts: 7,843 Member
    Options
    A shop sells apples at $1 each. Each of these apples are wrapped in a special wrapper. You can trade 3 of these wrappers for 1 apple.

If you have $15, how many apples can you get altogether?

Love this thread, but can't figure why this is not 20.....Can someone explan?
  • JenAndSome
    Options
    A shop sells apples at $1 each. Each of these apples are wrapped in a special wrapper. You can trade 3 of these wrappers for 1 apple.

If you have $15, how many apples can you get altogether?

Love this thread, but can't figure why this is not 20.....Can someone explan?

The "free" apples have wrappers, too. That's what I missed.