Tilapia = Bad?

Options
124»

Replies

• sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    :huh: I mean...you do cook your tilapia before eating it, correct?

Meh, I'm not terribly concerned with this.

Yeah, I understand that washing and cooking your food typically takes care of that.

But, the thought of eating an animal that's eaten nothing but livestock feces its whole life just kinda makes me wanna gag. In the wild, tilapia eat seaplants. Poop isn't even their natural food choice.

Come to think of it, that's just mean. Forcing all those poor fishies to live on literal crap.

The reason [most species of tilapia] have much lower levels of mercury than salmon and tuna is because they are vegetarian. The more carnivorous a fish, the higher the potential mercury levels.
  • trackme
    trackme Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    . Ugh, I don't even know anymore.

My thoughts exactly!!!
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options

Yeah, I understand that washing and cooking your food typically takes care of that.

But, the thought of eating an animal that's eaten nothing but livestock feces its whole life just kinda makes me wanna gag. In the wild, tilapia eat seaplants. Poop isn't even their natural food choice.

Come to think of it, that's just mean. Forcing all those poor fishies to live on literal crap.

The reason [most species of tilapia] have much lower levels of mercury than salmon and tuna is because they are vegetarian. The more carnivorous a fish, the higher the potential mercury levels.

Okay, I missed the part where said farmers feed the fish poop.... Off to investigate the validity of this, as I can see why it's disconcerting!
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options

Okay, I missed the part where said farmers feed the fish poop.... Off to investigate the validity of this, as I can see why it's disconcerting!

:flowerforyou:

Yes, this is in regard to farm raised tilapia that comes from China. (only.)

The problem is, that's what is mostly on the market. So, I guess I'm asking more of a "are you conscious of your source of tilapia?" question rather than making a "stay away from all tilapia because it's disgusting!!!" statement.
  • anotheryearolder
    anotheryearolder Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Poop isn't a bad thing. Chemicals in poop is another topic and I agree with you that I don't trust China as to what they are willing to put in the food chain. The baby formula and dog food fiascos are two that come to mind.

However, some people up thread mentioned eating organically and implying that they were therefore avoiding icky things like poop. Not the case. You can fertilize plants with chemicals or organic materials (rotted vegetable matter and/or manure). My brother raises organic green beans, peas and squash for Gerber baby food and fertilizes his fields with manure from organic (pesticide free) chicken farms.

Soil needs enrichment and organic (non manmade) is best for the soil. Just thought I would throw this out there for those not familiar with farming.
  • Kayden1986
    Kayden1986 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    2 tilapia, one pond.. :)

edit: yeah I know I made myself feel ill XD
  • burlingtongrl
    burlingtongrl Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Too much information! Really most of us eat a lot of gross animal products. I will be wishing I didn't read this post when I am eating tilapia next.
  • aetzkorn14
    aetzkorn14 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I no longer eat tilapia because it is farm raised now. I stick with wild caught cod, mahi mahi, ect. It's along the lines of eating grass fed beef vs crappy fed beef. There is a difference in the taste now too, I have noticed tilapia has a stronger fishy taste than it use to, but it may also be the brands where I am located.