Was this rude or not?

Options

Replies

• bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    You were not rude. It's perfectly acceptable to speak your native language when in a private conversation and all members speak that language.

Good for you knowing it IS rude to speak Spanish when in a group and someone doesn't understand Spanish.

That guy was a jerk.
  • BoomstickChick
    BoomstickChick Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I think he was rude... probably was just having a bad day, but still.. jeez
  • ldnmaggie
    ldnmaggie Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Probably having a bad day, he was rude.

But what i find rudest is when you walk into a staff room and people CONTINUE to talk in their own language when its just you and them in the rude, i find that EXTREMLEY rude.

**Edit i said was rude meant to say HE was rude. looked like i was saying you were rude!
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    That guy was acting like a total asshat. He had no right to dictate how you speak to others in conversations that don't include him. Personally I would have cracked a joke about him, IN SPANISH in front of him then laughed at him and walked away.
  • Still1Workoutatatime
    Options
    He was being rude.

this
  • Rixx31
    Rixx31 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    It was rude of him to say that. If it's a private conversation, then it's none of his business whether you're speaking English, Spanish, or even Klingon.

You should have replied to him with 'En su bicicleta' in your best fake English accent ;)
  • AliciaStinger
    AliciaStinger Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    No; it's your conversation, and it's your language. I think it was far more offensive that a complete stranger felt it okay to harrass you and your siblings about a private conversation that he had no business trying to listen in on!

By the way, I live near Chicago. The suburb I live in was about 75% Jewish throughout the 50's, 60's and probably 70's. Now, it is quite mixed. We have a huge population of Assyrian, Indian, and Latino/a people here, as well as smaller populations of just about every nationality. Those who are comfortable speaking in another language will often do so with family or friends who speak the same language. In public schools, people are expected to speak English in classes when possible (unless their English isn't good enough, in which case people are pretty understanding). In any other public space, I have never considered it rude or in any way out of line to speak in the language you're most comfortable with.
  • VeganLexi
    VeganLexi Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    He sounds like an arsehole...
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    * Doh nothing I said applies, but I'm sure as England is pretty multicultural now different languages are more acceptable.

You weren't rude. I wish I spoke Spanish more fluently instead of so broken.

You could have pointed out if he's so patriotic how come he doesnt speak old English or his ancient tribal language.
  • joselo2
    joselo2 Posts: 461
    Options
    It was rude when its your private conversation with family members, not condoning his behaviour but i can see why he is maybe irritated with what goes on in this country, but i think that's a bigger issue than than some family members talking to each other in Spanish.

What does go on in this country? Whatever it is, I am sure the fact that me and my very large family all coming here is part of it... like, I can't deny we have impacted on the place. All positively though :D

Yeah, I am reflecting on my own behaviour, to consider if he could have thought we were looking at him. I totally get that people can fear you are talking about them, if they don't know what you are saying, so I hope I didn't do that.

Glad to hear the resounding opinion that I was not rude, because I hate rudeness. I must stress as someone earlier said, this was a rare thing, I find I experience very little racism or prejudice for my country of birth here. It's cool.

PS. I live in England not USA, for what that's worth here

Thanks all!xx
  • Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Yes, he was rude. But...were you talking really loudly in Spanish? I'm just asking because it can be annoying when you hear another language you don't understand when it's spoken very loudly. Kudos to you for not slapping him. :flowerforyou:
  • joselo2
    Options
    I have observed this myself... language is more annoying in one you no understand, becuase it just sounds like jabbering old noise. But I see that as my issue tbh. Because how is that fair? English sounds annoying to none speakers too, I remember frm when when I was one. People being obnoxiously loud in general is annoying but I don't think we are.
  • VeganLexi
    VeganLexi Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    It was rude when its your private conversation with family members, not condoning his behaviour but i can see why he is maybe irritated with what goes on in this country, but i think that's a bigger issue than than some family members talking to each other in Spanish.

What is going on in his/my country?
  • joselo2
    Options

What is going on in his/my country?
    I'm wondering this too Lexi, I hope nothing to worry about!
  • vanillacoffee
    vanillacoffee Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I think the guy was rude, not you! The only time I think it can be considered rude is if you are having a conversation with others, and two people start speaking a different language (because it could be about others, and theyre right there). Having a private conversation is your own language is not rude......
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    He was rude.
  • TheLung
    Options
    I am not on one side or the other but how can you have a private conversation out in the public?
  • richardositosanchez
    Options
    The guy is a total *kitten*! I'd like to see him go to another country and get flack for not speaking the native language.
  • joselo2
    Options
    I am not on one side or the other but how can you have a private conversation out in the public?
    Notprivate in the sense of discussing sensitive matters but it was just a chat between 3 people, we weren't making an address to a larger group. It can't just be us ethnics who have chats between ourselves, regardless of language.