Was this rude or not?

Options

Replies

• VeganLexi
    VeganLexi Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Its also pretty hypocritical, because if there is something Brits are famous for it's the lack of foreign language skills and general arrogance in assuming "well everyone speaks English anyway!".

I didn't know this. I've heard this about Americans, but not Brits.

I didn't know this either...
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    What an *kitten* he was. Probably jealous he can only speak one language too. *kitten*.
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    In any language, it is very rude to butt in on someone else's private conversation. What a *kitten*.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    this is awesome!! america isn't the only dumbass country! we're number two! we're number two!!

well, considering i had to edit my post twice for typos, maybe we still are the dumbest.
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    My response would have been, "and you are a human being, yet you look like an *kitten*"
  • madworld1
    Options
    It's only rude if you are talking about someone in another language when you know (or think) they don't understand. In this case, the guy was being rude.
  • rse2013
    Options
    no its not rude what you u and your sister was doing he was the one being rude now will say there have been times where I had people speak in front of me to eachother just so I did not know what they where saying and I think that is rude :smile:
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    OP, you were not rude. The guy had issues/bad day/not your problem.
    But what i find rudest is when you walk into a staff room and people CONTINUE to talk in their own language when its just you and them in the rude, i find that EXTREMLEY rude.

To this I want to say - you're absolutely right, it's inappropriate not to switch languages when someone you know (or will know ie acquaintance) who doesn't speak it has come into the room.

It's something I'm always conscious of. I grew up with a different language at home, but learned English from books/TV/ friends /school, so I was more aware of it than some people I knew growing up, who immigrated (I was born in my country of citizenship).

However, and please note *this is not an excuse* -- it's a weird thing, but oftentimes people are able to express things differently in other languages (especially if the non-English language is their 1st or 1.5st language). It's a whole other mood, even like different parts of your personality get teased out. So it's not just switching away from the language, it's switching from, well not exactly an identity, but kind of -- definitely a different feel. And if there are a number of people there who are also speaking that language, the pull of that familiarity is quite strong; not everyone is skillful at pulling away from it. Still rude, I agree, just wanted to maybe explain it a bit (not sure I did).
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Depends how loudly you lot were talking, basically.
  • anemoneprose
    Options
    Depends how loudly you lot were talking, basically.

If they were speaking loudly, would that be more rude than speaking loudly in English? (or equally rude)
  • Rurouni_Kou
    Rurouni_Kou Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    ventobig.jpg

I presume this guy is an indigenous Indian expressing his desire to have his country back from the white settlers who violently took their land from them........ no?

My favorite response to racist *kitten* who insist (in America) that you need to speak only english:
    national_language.jpg
  • ItsAnIllusion
    ItsAnIllusion Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    ventobig.jpg

Off topic, but this guy makes the most overrated cheesesteak ever. Go to Gooey Louie's instead.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Its also pretty hypocritical, because if there is something Brits are famous for it's the lack of foreign language skills and general arrogance in assuming "well everyone speaks English anyway!".

I didn't know this. I've heard this about Americans, but not Brits.

I didn't know this either...
    Yep, totally true. However, in our defense English is generally used as a universal common language. Never the less it is shameful we tend not to bother learning others often :frown:
  • GlitterMamma11
    GlitterMamma11 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    He was rude! As long as you can communicate with the public with no problems who cares? I volunteer in an Elementary school and it drives me crazy when the kids have to translate for their parents. (parents don't speak/understand English) That I think isn't right and I don't think the kids should be put in that situation, but if you were just talking with your siblings that guy should of just minded his own business!
    Besides, it's encouraged in school to learn a second language! It's a good thing to know more than one!

What is so bad about that?

I used to do the same for my parents, I didn't have a problem with it. I have no idea why you think it's not right.

Because the kids are having to be in the middle of conversations the teacher needs to have with the parent and *I* think that isn't fair to the child to be put in that position. Also, it's dangerous if the office staff or other school staff can't communicate with the parent if something happens to the child and they aren't able to translate.
  • anemoneprose
    Options
    He was rude! As long as you can communicate with the public with no problems who cares? I volunteer in an Elementary school and it drives me crazy when the kids have to translate for their parents. (parents don't speak/understand English) That I think isn't right and I don't think the kids should be put in that situation, but if you were just talking with your siblings that guy should of just minded his own business!
    Besides, it's encouraged in school to learn a second language! It's a good thing to know more than one!

I used to do the same for my parents, I didn't have a problem with it. I have no idea why you think it's not right.

Because the kids are having to be in the middle of conversations the teacher needs to have with the parent and *I* think that isn't fair to the child to be put in that position. Also, it's dangerous if the office staff or other school staff can't communicate with the parent if something happens to the child and they aren't able to translate.

That is a reasonable argument, but I doubt that's why it 'drives you crazy'.

Some people have an easier time than others picking up English as a second language. And if there are enough families that speak a given language (and not English), your school should accommodate THEM. The public school in my area has resources for speakers of 3-4 non-English languages. (for the parents, not the kids, who get special ESL classes if they need it)
  • GlitterMamma11
    GlitterMamma11 Posts: 143 Member
    Options

Some people have an easier time than others picking up English as a second language. And if there are enough families that speak a given language (and not English), your school should accommodate THEM. The public school in my area has resources for speakers of 3-4 non-English languages. (for the parents, not the kids, who get special ESL classes if they need it)

Don't try to turn this into something it's not. I wasn't meaning anything rude by what I said, so please stop taking it that way. I have no problem if people speak other languages. I think it's cool. But it is difficult if it's a situation where you need to communicate with someone and you can't. Our district does offer ESL for the children. I have no idea if they offer anything for the parents but I think that is great that yours does.
  • anemoneprose
    Options

Don't try to turn this into something it's not. I wasn't meaning anything rude by what I said, so please stop taking it that way. I have no problem if people speak other languages. I think it's cool. But it is difficult if it's a situation where you need to communicate with someone and you can't. Our district does offer ESL for the children. I have no idea if they offer anything for the parents but I think that is great that yours does.

Ok fine, I'll believe you. So, while the parents are learning English (if they are able), should they just keep their kids at home until it's 'right' for the children to be educated?
  • anappleaday34
    Options
    I think you should be able to speak any language you want to as long as you're not at work. This should be covered under freedom of speech. This should especially hold true in the United States because the First Amendment provides virtually complete freedom over what you can say and the fact that the US has no official language at the federal level. You might piss some people off but they have no justification to force you to speak English.
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    You should've showed him that you in fact do speak English. Something like "f&ck off" would be enough.
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options

[/quote

Ok fine, I'll believe you. So, while the parents are learning English (if they are able), should they just keep their kids at home until it's 'right' for the children to be educated?

I do believe the guy was rude in answer to the OPs Post - On the above---If I move to Mexico I will learn to speak Spanish-If I move to China I will learn to speak Chinese-If I move to Japan I will learn to speak Japanese- If you move to the United States then learn to Speak English.