Mommy Guilt

Options
13»

Replies

• Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I brought the gym to me.

I set up a weight room in my garage so I can see what they're doing when they're playing outside and they can see what I'm doing. Truthfully, they are at ages where they are no longer interested in hanging all over me, so it works for all of us.
  • lcyama
    lcyama Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    my kids are now 12 and 10. when they were younger, the mommy guilt was my excuse for not working out. i found a class i could do once every two weeks during the school day. one day i realized i was 20 pounds overweight, got tired going up and down the stairs, and couldn't keep up with them.

now that they're older, i attend a lot of evening classes, and i still have some mommy guilt about it, but i make sure to spend some time in the mornings or evenings (since they don't have early bedtimes) to just chat and catch up. i also get up early to do morning runs.

in retrospect, i wish i'd done more when they were younger. they won't miss you one or two evenings a week if you have found a class you enjoy, as long as you make up the quality time. they will have a mommy that is more relaxed, less stressed, and is better able to keep up with them.

enjoy them, and enjoy yourself, too.
  • I guess I don't agree with all the good for you posts....There are lots of times during when the kiddos are asleep that you can work out. Kids that age DO NOT understand that you are trying to be healthy.....they just miss you. Family first IMO

I have to say I agree. Of course you should take care of yourself, and in the long run when they are older they will appreciate that you worked on your health. If I was you (and I've been in your position when my kids were little) I would try to fit it in somewhere else. If they could tell you, they would say they would rather see their mom more than see her less but fitter. We'll probably get flack for having this opinion though, it seems like the "putting yourself first" mom mentality has become the norm, and while we do need to be aware of our needs, IMO if you have kids and a family, in all seriousness they really should come first. It seems like people's kids are just an afterthought sometimes, though OP the fact that you feel guilty and wrote this post shows you are not like that. Many Mom's are though.
  • emjaycazz
    emjaycazz Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    When I was younger my mom went back to school to get a nursing degree and my dad worked on a newspaper route for extra money. Kids don't notice the absence of time when you still spend QUALITY time with them. There are some families that spend all day with each other but it's clouded by cell phones, tv and other electronics that take away that time anyway.

Plus you are also sending a great message that health is important and mommy woudn't be doing it if it didn't matter. My parents not being around every evening or morning didn't make me sad or resentful. My mom taught me I should pursue a career that I felt passionate about (I also went back to school for another degree and love it) and my dad taught me that sometimes you have to do things to help make ends meet (occasionally I work overnight shifts at my old job for extra cash).

As a working mom, I just want to say thank you for this. Clearly, your parents have done many, many things right in raising you. :flowerforyou:
  • happymommy2014
    happymommy2014 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    lol.... sorry I'm laughing at the daddy that counts spanking as exercise.
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Being home with the girls is still the best job I've ever had.

Yep. I have a great gig going here too. hehe

And I agree with his other post too. No one can tell you what is best for you. I have 5 kids (14, almost 13, 11, 8 and 4yo) and I work out nearly every day around their schedules. Many times that means either my husband or my oldest daughter or son has to watch the younger kids. I compensate them to some degree for their helpfulness in running the household, including babysitting their younger siblings, so that eases some of the guilt. And I honestly do my best not to over-use this luxury. Years ago, I didn't have two very competant babysitters, so I would have to either run/work out before my husband left for work or wait till he got home. Or it just didn't happen. Just keep in mind what it would be like if you didn't work out. Honestly, no one wants to be around me after a week of tapering much less if I'm injured and can't run/work out at all. It's not a pretty picture.

Good luck with finding the right balance for you and your family!! :)
  • callie828
    Options
    I guess I don't agree with all the good for you posts....There are lots of times during when the kiddos are asleep that you can work out. Kids that age DO NOT understand that you are trying to be healthy.....they just miss you. Family first IMO

I agree the kids need you. Maybe class once a week, and then exercise in the morning or after they go to bed. Its hard being a mom, but if you are feeling guilty, then maybe you need to cut back on exercise.