Addicted to food, really?

Options

Replies

• Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Anything can be addictive. If it causes the pleasure sensors to be activated in the brain then why not? People enjoy all sorts of weird things. People have their own personal definitions of what addiction really is, but you could easily argue that a solid majority of the people on this website are addicted to social media.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    It was not like I eat some pasta, and was like "oh, my god I have to have more pasta"

[...]

I do not think that anyone can be "addicted to food"

You weren't addicted to food, so nobody can be addicted to food. I can't give birth, so nobody can give birth. LOGIC!

I said think, which implies I am thinking and posing a topic for discussion...

read much?

If I was saying it was fact it would have read "I am not addicted to food; therefore, no one is addicted to food."

You are getting upset because people are pointing out what you said in your original post...which was something to the effect that no...food addiction doesn't exist and that many people use it as an excuse. You then asked for others opinions. I'm thinking that's what some are annoyed with.

well I said I would catch flack ...so my prediction came true ..

I simply took my experience and said I did not experience, and as such did not think it exists, but curious what others thought to expand my thinking on the subject...is that now how we all learn and progress? I never made a blanket statement that it must not exist, pretty big difference...
    Aren't you the special snowflake. You were barely overweight for a small portion of your life and claim there's no such thing as food addiction only lack of willpower. Gotta love anecdotal broscience BS.

Here's another; I tried pretty much every illegal drug out there at one point or another and didn't become an addict of any of them. I guess all those drug addicts just lack willpower also.

Bottomline, not everyone reacts the same way to different substances.

What a dumbazz post to even start with.
  • FrenchMob
    Options
    I am probably going to catch some major flack for this one, but oh well what the hell, I am used to it.
    This is like beginning a sentence with "no offense, but". If you have to start your comment like that, you probably shouldn't continue.
    I do not think that anyone can be "addicted to food", it just seems like a strange concept to me. I mean if you do not have that food will you have withdrawals? I just think that it is an excuse that people use to tell themselves that they can't eat certain foods, or to just blame their obesity issue on something else, or to cover up an underlying mental health issue. I mean people binge, but to me that seems tied into more of a mental health issue or just bad relationship with food.
    I don't have withdrawal when I quit drinking. So by your logic, that means alcoholics just lack self control or have a bad relationship with alcohol. Right? :huh:

oh and to address the flack part - I meant it that people on MFP tend to overreact..and if you read through this post, you will see that is, in fact true...
    That usually happens when you post idiotic statements.
  • FrenchMob
    Options
    The ignorance and arrogance in a lot of these replies is mind blowing. That is all.

tumblr_inline_mo94a32ccO1qz4rgp.gif
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    There is a such a thing as food addiction, and I have seen it, but not experienced it.... well to some degree I have. You don't want to be around me if I haven't had at least 1 cup of coffee by 10 a.m. and do NOT, I will repeat, DO NOT, try to fool me with decaff!

Some people are like that with sugar. My best friends hubby is VERY addicted to sugar. If he doesn't have something sweet first thing after he wakes up, OMG he is a bear and suffers from headaches the remainder of the day. And guess what it is just like my coffee habit. I have been drinking coffee so long that now my body craves the caffeine and if I don't get it I suffer (and so does everyone around me).

For him it is a very simple fix, he keeps a jar of starlight mints in the bedroom, as soon as he does his wake up routine, he goes in the bedroom grabs a mint and gets ready for the day and is fine. Now he has tried the sugar free mints but still gets a headache, so full fledged sugar it is for him.

That being said.... he found out how to get his "sugar fix" in moderation so that he can in fact deal with his addiction. He may have 10 mints throughout the day, how many calories is that (I'm not sure), I don't think it would be that much!

The other side of the coin, could we in fact just deal for a few days to get rid of the addiction.... ABSOLUTELY! My coffee is about 50 calories for the 2 cups a day I drink because I use creamer (well unsweetened almond milk). Do I want to, ABSOLUTELY NOT! In the grand scheme of things for me, the coffee addiction really isn't that bad of a health habit. For him.... He actually starts eating uncontrollably if he doesn't get sugar soon enough. And heaven help the person that tries to stop him.

I haven't personally experienced others with a food addiction, but after experiencing his sugar addiction and knowing my own coffee addiction, I'm sure there are people out there with real food addictions.... As frequently as people claim, I doubt that one. A lot of it really and truely is learning self control, but a good portion of it is the bodies reaction to that particular stimulant.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I think some people may have some valid issues with food addiction but I think way too many use it as an excuse as to why they can't lose weight....

This
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    To actually respond to the OP:

Some people really do have an issue with stopping once they start eating certain foods. Is this addiction? I don't know. But I don't think it's necessarily a character flaw, either.

I don't tend to overeat in general. I never did. I can have most foods (carbs, protein, whatever) and have a serving and be satisfied. But there are certain foods -- Oreos, Oreo Fudgees, moose tracks ice cream, to name a few -- that once I taste a lttle bit, it's SO GOOD that I want more and more and more and will eat them until I'm sick.

I can't say those foods made me overweight because I never ate them regularly and now I don't even allow them in the house because I do lack control when they're around. My self control is to not have that first taste.

I can eat other sweet things and just have a little, though.

And cheese -- I can't have Swiss cheese in the house or I eat it and eat it and eat it. I can have cheddar, though, or monterey jack or pretty much anything else. But not Swiss.
  • BoomstickChick
    BoomstickChick Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I agree with you lol.. It's not like food is crack and we're jonsing.. we just had no willpower to do what we had to to lose the weight! :drinker:
  • mandasalem
    mandasalem Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    It's not addiction....it's GREED, plain and simple.

Oh, for crying out loud.
  • jclark0523
    jclark0523 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in food addiction. It's a matter of self control and self discipline.
    If you are addicted to something, then you start having adverse effects to not having it. When you go without over doing it on bad food, you start to feel better.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    So I will toss it out to the MFP crowed..what do you all think ...food addictions yes, no, or total garbage..?????

ad·dict [n. ad-ikt; v. uh-dikt] Show IPA
    noun
    1. a person who is addicted to an activity, habit, or substance: a drug addict.

verb (used with object)
    2. to cause to become physiologically or psychologically dependent on an addictive substance, as alcohol or a narcotic.

3. to habituate or abandon (oneself) to something compulsively or obsessively: a writer addicted to the use of high-flown language; children addicted to video games.

Yes, I think that description can apply to food for many people.
  • mandasalem
    mandasalem Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in food addiction. It's a matter of self control and self discipline.
    If you are addicted to something, then you start having adverse effects to not having it. When you go without over doing it on bad food, you start to feel better.

After how long? Talk to a true food addict, someone who has been tapping directly into the pleasure centers of their brain and releasing dopamine and pleasure response through the repeated use of food for a while. Talk to them the day after they try to stop overdoing it. Talk to them two days after. Talk to them a week after.

Will they eventually start feeling better? Yes. But then, "true" addicts to drugs, alcohol, etc., start to feel better after a while, too.

I'm totally okay with people saying "I think this is claimed more often than it's true," but saying it doesn't exist at all is ridiculous.
  • 58Rock
    58Rock Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Addiction is a very strong word and often overused to describe various undesireable behaviors. Most people do not really have an "addiction". More likely just some very bad habits and perhaps a lack of will power. Having said that you can be additcted to eating. here is why: Addiction is the continued repetition of a behavior despite adverse consequences, or a neurological impairment leading to such behaviors. Addictions can include, but are not limited to, drug abuse, exercise addiction, food addiction, sexual addiction, computer addiction and gambling. Classic hallmarks of addiction include impaired control over substances or behavior, preoccupation with substance or behavior, continued use despite consequences, and denial.

Given that, people can have an addiction to food leading to the adverse consequence of ill health and obesity.
  • Lemongrab1
    Lemongrab1 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I'd say food addiction exists, but only for a very select few. Like those who are so morbidly obese that they're incapable of standing up. If food has brought you to such a miserable existence and you STILL continue to eat in the same way, then it's likely an addiction.
    All addictions have a 'reason' behind them, e.g. depression, abuse; and the end result is the person abusing their own body. Anorexics and severe over eaters are somewhat similar, except anorexics use their lack of eating as a method of gaining control, whereas over-eaters show a real lack of control.

However, I think most people who say "I'm addicted to food!" are using it as an excuse to not do anything about it. It's like a Get-Out-Of-Dieting free card they use to prevent being blamed for their physical state. And if you're addicted to food, you're not just addicted to gummy bears, you're addicted to stuffing yourself to the point of sickness.

Addiction = Sickness.
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    ad·dic·tion
    noun \ə-ˈdik-shən, a-\

: a strong and harmful need to regularly have something (such as a drug) or do something (such as gamble)

: an unusually great interest in something or a need to do or have something

Food addiction is real. People will eat the same way someone will smoke, or drink or do drugs. It is to help ease an emotional response. You are upset, eating comfort foods will trigger a calming response to that situation. It only lasts so long until they need another "fix". Why do you think people quit smoking only to relapse or can't quit smoking because they are too stressed? It is how you deal and process emotions that can keep people addicted. Food actually can stimulate the brain the way a drug can.

Obviously you deal with your emotions in a different way that doesn't include abusing something without realizing it. Sadly, you can't quit food the way you can with drinking, smoking and drugs. It is something you have to acknowledge and try to work on it one emotional response at a time.
  • danarandallreed
    danarandallreed Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    How about this? I won't judge you for being an uninformed narcissist and you don't judge me for calling my food struggle an addiction. Addictive personalities can become addicted to anything, even food.

Don't speak further on this subject until you have done the research. It shows your ignorance. Study first to show yourself approved.
  • k1229
    k1229 Posts: 135
    Options
    People use the word "addiction" to justify a lack of willpower

hahahahhahahah. this made me laugh.... because its stupid.

i have a lack of will power therefore i cannot give up heroin...cocaine....meth....cigarettes.....alcohol.....?? never heard anyone say that before.

if "addicition" was simply a lack of will power, then the physical withdrawls that one goes through coming off lots of substances, after misuse, wouldnt manifest. addiction is not wholly psychological... Food addiction, sex addiction, substance addiction, alcohol addiction, excersise addiction... come on. its not just mind over matter, and you know it. in some cases maybe, but to categorise "addiction" in itself as a lack of "willpower" is a little narrow.

but good try.

good job internet.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

How is having an addiction not a lack of willpower? An alcoholic picks up a drink due to lack of willpower, does s/he not? There is a compulsion to drink. That compulsion is only overcome by will or force.
  • k1229
    Options
    "Food Addiction" is kind of a misnomer. From my general understanding, people really aren't "addicted" to food like they're addicted to smoking or drugs. They're addicted to the FEELING it gives them. The pleasure center that is activated in the brain when you enjoy something ... pretty sure it has a more scientific explanation, but yea.
    [/quote]
    ____________________________________________________________________________________________

Sorry i just had to add to this girls comment, people arent addicted to the drug they take beacuse of which drug it is as you said about food,its the stimulus they get from it... the FEELING they get from the drug, the feeling they get from cigarettes, chasing the high...receptors in the brain affected by the chemicals in the drug etc give us the feelings of pleasure etc its the same thing for food.... this is why, food addicition is categorised as such.

Im not a food addict,nor am i naiive enough to think that all who say they are, actually are. i think there have obviously been genuine cases, but not all.
  • k1229
    Options

How is having an addiction not a lack of willpower? An alcoholic picks up a drink due to lack of willpower, does s/he not? There is a compulsion to drink. That compulsion is only overcome by will or force.

no