Alcohol Conundrum

Options

Replies

• x2greenxeyes
    Options
    I've really enjoyed every body's posts! Even the negative ones that people are commenting back to. I don't feel so alone in the alcohol consumption problem and found some humor!
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    Who is "we all", some of us can unwind in other ways

^^ this ^^
  • shadowfeet33
    shadowfeet33 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    For me it wasn't the alcohol, it was what I wanted to eat after the alcohol. And if I overdid it, what I wanted to eat the next day, and so on. I personally have much better results if I lay off. But if you have more self control than I do, then any lower calorie drink is not really "bad", just like many have said on here you must work it in to your day.,
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Who is "we all", some of us can unwind in other ways

^^ this ^^

^^ not those ^^

In my experience getting wankered on booze has no parallel for unwindyability.

Maybe I should try meditation or some such metaphysical shyte.

Or not, dunno, but red wine really hits my buttons.

And I look awesome with it.

Damn I'm good. :)
  • emshim
    emshim Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Vodka & soda water, with a squeeze of fresh lime :)

Problem is I love a beer and coming from the West Country (UK) then there is no choice but to love a cider :) Alcohol is definitely my downfall...

And the assumption of "we all"... if you were looking to the UK, then you'd probably be mostly right, we're a right load of bingers over here ;) (ruffling a few British feathers)
  • Seesawboomerang
    Seesawboomerang Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    One alcoholic drink is pretty much equal to another in terms of calories. It's the mixers you need to watch out for, and how much you have of the booze.

If you can portion control the way you will with food, just enjoy it.
  • Seesawboomerang
    Seesawboomerang Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    And I, too, am exceptionally good-looking. Never did me any 'arm etc etc
  • kitza101
    kitza101 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    For me the problem is also the late night snacks and the delicious delicious food you just cannot help but consume whilst drunk... and then of course the delicious greasy breakfast the next day :P

For me I did cut down on alcohol, and it helped with weight loss, but the reason I cut down wasn't to lose weight. It was because I knew I felt a lot better the next day if I didn't drink. That being said, by "cutting down", what I mean is that I drink on weekends now, rarely during the week - unless I'm home alone like right now! (she says, with a wine glass next to the lap top!)

I'm a wine drinker primarily, but I also love beer. I factor it in to my day usually, but if I don't, well, no harm. I didn't put on weight from one night of drinking too much here and there, and as long as you aren't over doing it, it won't be an issue.

You know what else is awesome? Hopping on the scales the morning after a lot of drinks, and finding you've somehow miraculously lost a kilogram and a half despite the almost 2 bottles of wine you drank last night and the pizza you shared with friends and the cheese sandwich you ate before bed :P Of course, it doesn't last, but that dehydrated moment before you guzzle a litre or two of water and have to stop kidding yourself is a pretty fun feeling! :P
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    I had a night out Saturday, was a good night but I went crazy and drank water all night.

Vodka, gin I hear are pretty low
  • MizSookeh
    MizSookeh Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Great advice and suggestions from most people in this thread!

When drinking and watching what you're consuming, make sure you steer clear of pre-mixed / RTD drinks that are packed full of sugarr - not sure of US brands, but here in Aus products like Vodka Cruisers, Midori mixers, etc.

Cider can also be tricky - some of the big name brands (Rekorderlig) are loaded with added sugar and flavourings, but there are a growing number of products that are all real fruit.

I've been making room for craft beer in my eating plan, but my first love is absinthe - however as I usually drink it traditionally with sugar, or in sparkling apple juice, I've been giving it a miss since starting on this.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I miss it, but I told myself it's not forever. It's like drinking a milk shake twice a day everyday. It's something i'm going to have to give up for a while, then keep in check when I lose the weight...

...dammit you tasty beer you..

Just something to consider...for the most part, maintianing weight demands as much attention and discipline as losing weight. (I think most people don't consider that) So, if you have to seriously moderate something in order to drop the pounds, you will have to continue that to keep the pounds off. Sure, at maintenance you may have a few more hundred calories a day to work with...but if good beer is your beverage of choice, "keeping it in check" will probably mean significantly less than you'd like to consume.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    To the OP don't listen to the killjoy's if you want a drink have a drink, if you want 5 drinks have 5 drinks, and drink what you want, don't substitute your favourite bevvy for a vodka and slimline tonic, enjoy life otherwise what is the point, I eat well and exercise Monday to friday the weekend i do what i want, people can be very anal on here

5 drinks of "whatever you want" can easily, in the matter of a few hours, undo days worth of eating at a deficit. As for eating well and exercising 5 days and doing what you want on the weekend...again, super easy to undo all your hard work. I'm not saying don't drink, I am saying that completely ignoring calories on the weekend doesn't mean they don't count; and that drinking high calorie beverages will make it more difficult to shed pounds.
  • maryjaquiss
    maryjaquiss Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I drink good wine slowly and I always share a bottle with a friend/my husband rather than have one to myself. That's just a bit over 250 calories, and I tend to make sure I've worked out earlier in the day so I can "afford" it - I probably do this 2-3 times a week. Occasionally at the weekend I might have a gin and slimline tonic. I very rarely go out solely to get drunk (getting way too old for that now!) which helps.

I think the main thing is to log it in and don't drink so much that you end up binging on food you haven't budgeted in. No need for people to get sanctimonious about it - different strokes for different folks! I enjoy my wine - both for the social aspect and the taste - and I'm not prepared to give it up forever! :drinker:
  • lovelygirls
    Options
    I would find it very hard to not have alcohol in my life! I love wine, but it goes down to easily so I try and stick to vodka, soda and fresh lime on a night out...in a tall glass so there is more soda water and it last longer! Definitely would be better all round if I could resist drinking altogether - it definitely leads to bad food choices and not exercising, as well as the empty calories, but hey, sometimes you've got to let your hair down a bit! I think this is possibly more of a UK attitude to drinking?
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    I like vodka with soda water and some lime, and I space each drink out with water.
    Wine and soda water is nice too, or a Shandy made with light beer and sugar free lemonade.
  • TeresaB1979
    TeresaB1979 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Some people really have a stick up their *kitten*. I'd hate to be so uptight. Why take the 'we all' thing so literally and feel the need to jump down your neck? Yeah, they seem really 'relaxed' people. :wink:

Vodka with sparkling water and a small dash of lime cordial is nice. :-) :drinker:
  • hilts1969
    hilts1969 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    To the OP don't listen to the killjoy's if you want a drink have a drink, if you want 5 drinks have 5 drinks, and drink what you want, don't substitute your favourite bevvy for a vodka and slimline tonic, enjoy life otherwise what is the point, I eat well and exercise Monday to friday the weekend i do what i want, people can be very anal on here

5 drinks of "whatever you want" can easily, in the matter of a few hours, undo days worth of eating at a deficit. As for eating well and exercising 5 days and doing what you want on the weekend...again, super easy to undo all your hard work. I'm not saying don't drink, I am saying that completely ignoring calories on the weekend doesn't mean they don't count; and that drinking high calorie beverages will make it more difficult to shed pounds.

Somewhat stating the obvious me thinks, i have a system and it currently works for me, the point was you don't have to give up drinking or high calorie meals you just need to balance it out, in my view eating well everyday is a lot harder to stick with long term and is certainly less fun
  • TheTruthAtAnyCost
    TheTruthAtAnyCost Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    A lot of my skinny friends like to drink vodka and water.

I can't handle the strength of it, so my think is vodka cranberries with soda water.

But if you can handle it, I think that's pretty much the healthiest mixed drink you can find.
  • sammylouhulley
    Options
    hi guyz what can i drink that has the very least calories? i seldom drink but i want some thing i dont have to keep stressing over.