Is it possible to lose weight without exercise?

Options
124»

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    In (unrealistic) perspective...

300lbs, 10m mi, calories burned per mile 227, time required for 1500 calories... about 7 mi which would take 70m...

225lbs, 10m mi, calories burned per mile 170, time required for 1500 calories... about 9 mi which would take 90m...

150lbs, 10m mi, calories burned per mile 113, time required for 1500 calories... about 14 mi which would take 140m...

If you lose 150 pounds and your pace doesn't increase dramatically, you're doing something very very wrong. A 300 pounder doing 10min/mile has the V02max to do 5min/mile at 150 pounds.
  • frommetobetterme
    frommetobetterme Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I don't think the OP was looking for a philosophical debate about physiology vs psychology...

The big answer is yes, you can lose with just watching what you eat. In the long run, combining mindful eating with exercise will make you feel better and stronger and fitter, but yes, you can lose weight with just diet if that is all that you are able to do for the moment.
  • taylorwaylor
    taylorwaylor Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Not all calories are created equal..... It's not just about the calorie deficit, it's about the nutrients you put into your body. Weight loss is totally possible without exercise, but you need to be eating clean. And if you're just eating at a really big deficit you will absolutely lose weight! And then you'll gain it back. I speak from experience.

Exercise and diet are used together to maximize weight loss results... You can use one without the other, but they are best together :)
  • FitCanuckChick
    FitCanuckChick Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Lately i haven't been exercising as much due to large workload also because of general laziness. i am focusing on diet right now and making sure i eat a calorie deficit but i am worried that i will not see results as fast than if i were to exercise.
    has anyone experienced weight loss success without exercise?

For sure - if you follow a great diet without exercise you can lose weight. But, you can have a perfect exercise routine and cr@ppy diet and gain weight (not "bulk" weight either). Even incorporating 15 min coffee break walks or climbing the stairs instead of the elevator will burn some extra cals for you....every "step" helps. I even park far away from the door in parking lots.