Different terminologies by country.....

Options

Replies

• kckBxer396
    kckBxer396 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Just remembered another one from my old forum - chooks.

Everyone in Australia knows a chook is a chicken (we use term chicken too) - but Americans had not heard of this.

That sounds so cute!
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Having sex outdoors while others watch. Apparently, it has a specific name in England.

Dogging......

Also you would need a solicitor for this sport. Not a lawyer.
  • AllyCatXandi
    AllyCatXandi Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    One big difference: in Australia thongs are footwear - what other places call flip-flops.
    Thongs are not underwear here.

This IS a big one.
    My family is Australian - I was brought up hearing 'thongs' as terminology for footwear. When I started school (an international one that was slanted towards the American system)...well, little-me embarassed herself a few times.

Also, here in Aussieland we call McDonald's "Maccas". The American exchange student gave us the weirdest look the first few times she heard the term XD
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    Having sex outdoors while others watch. Apparently, it has a specific name in England.

Dogging......

so the same in Australia as in England? well, I guess we are just weird here in the US for not having a specific name.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    In the US, sweet potatoes and yams are two different but similar spuds. One is yellow, the other is white, but, both are sweet. They do get confused as the same thing here as well.

Where I'm from in the U.S. sweet potatoes are orange potatoes and yams are a dish that you make with them. haha

Sweet potatos aka Kumara
  • stickytapir
    Options
    Oh man spring onions is a huge one over here in Australia!

I grew up calling them shallots. Supermarkets label them as spring onions, so I typically call them spring onions now, but throw in shallots every now and then.

Before I found out what an actual shallot looked like, I was using spring onions in the recipes. No wonder some things didn't turn out :P

Spring onions are commonly called scallions in the US, and I think they have a few other names, such as Salad Onion. Salad onions here have a really large white bulb at the end of the green part. Spring Onion are just straight. Also they get green onions, which is also what we call salad onions.

Spring Onions is obviously a serious business :laugh:
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    In Australia the word "fanny" is a vulgar term for a woman's...ahem! Whereas here it's just a polite word for "butt". My mom used it a lot when I was growing up. :laugh:
  • TheRealOrson
    TheRealOrson Posts: 1,415 Member
    Options
    How about coriander???

In Australia, coriander is what we call the green herb. The seeds are just called "coriander seeds"

But in the US, the seeds only are referred to as coriander......the plant/herb is called cilantro or something...
  • xvxCelticWandererxvx
    xvxCelticWandererxvx Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    How about coriander???

In Australia, coriander is what we call the green herb. The seeds are just called "coriander seeds"

But in the US, the seeds only are referred to as coriander......the plant/herb is called cilantro or something...

True :wink:

Ok ... zucchini in the US and courgette in the UK. How about in Australia?
  • TheRealOrson
    TheRealOrson Posts: 1,415 Member
    Options
    Zucchini also :)
  • Via_14
    Via_14 Posts: 992 Member
    Options
    cricket it not a game bro, its an insect

omg! i dont like cricket but i respect the sport mate!

It's played by many countries and takes skillzzz lol fun too!

and no im not indian haha!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options
    Cricket reminds me of football.

Some states in Australia play mainly Australian rules football, including where I live.
    Other states play mainly rugby.

So depending where you live, the term football is referring to either of these.

What UK people refer to as football is only called soccer here.
  • ninaocean
    Options
    hog/porcupine (yes, I know they're not the same species) but we use them interchangeably here

is it like this anywhere else?
  • mayaocean
    mayaocean Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Hog or porcupine
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I don't know what to ask about,but I want to come back later to read the posts!

Any difference in:
    -Dinner
    - Sneakers (as in shoes)
    -Grocery store
    -Soda

The term dinner is used in Australia too - usually for tea time (ie evening meal) but sometimes also for lunch, particularly if lunch is a hot cooked meal.
    Sneakers and grocery store are terms used here too with same meaning.

By 'soda'. do you mean soft drinks like coke, lemonade? they would be called soft drinks here - I think in UK are called pop.

Some different Australia to UK things.
    Chips in Australia can mean hot chips (what you call French fries) and also packets of chips, which in UK are called crisps.

One big difference: in Australia thongs are footwear - what other places call flip-flops.
    Thongs are not underwear here.

We say soft drinks or fizzy drinks in the UK.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    How about coriander???

True :wink:

Ok ... zucchini in the US and courgette in the UK. How about in Australia?

Aubergine in the UK is eggplant in the USA.
  • pricesteve
    pricesteve Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    In Australia the word "fanny" is a vulgar term for a woman's...ahem! Whereas here it's just a polite word for "butt". My mom used it a lot when I was growing up. :laugh:

This one caused my American wife quite some embarrassment many years ago, just after she moved to the UK, as she yelled out to our 5 year old daughter to "Get your Fanny back over here right now!" across the school playground.

Probably took me as long to stop laughing as it took her to lose the redness in her face after I pointed out what Fanny meant in the UK.
  • knickersb1
    Options
    Haha i had this conversation with an American friend not so long ags...in Ireland we say "well" as a greeting, you could meet somebody on the road and say well howya and the answer is ALWAYS "ah shur, grand"...we say tap (faucet), runners (sneakers), jumper (sweater), knickers (panties), wardrobe (closet), telly (TV), mineral (soda), taytos (every brand of potato chip), hang sangwich (ham sandwich) , spuds (potatoes) and my granny used to always tell us if we weren't good she's give us spuds and point for dinner, a thing they used to do when they were poor, hang the meat from the ceiling (no fridges then) and everybody would just have spuds and point at the meat on the ceiling:laugh:
  • aetzkorn14
    aetzkorn14 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    In Australia, cricket is both a game and an insect.

I'm sure you have words in USA too with 2 meanings.

On another forum I used to be on, the term 'fortnight' was used by one of the Australians - an everyday term, everyone here knows it means 2 weeks.

To my amazement, some of the Americans had never heard of it. :noway:

I later posted a recipe which included sultanas - again, everyone in Australia knows what sultanas are, it did not occur to me that anyone on an English speaking forum would not do so.

But some of the Americans did not - and I had to post an explanation and a picture.
    I think it turned out Americans call them golden raisins.

When this happens I don't understand why people don't just use google. I had someone on my page use the term "quark" and I'm like wth is that? A lot of the people I follow aren't American, so google is my BF sometimes.
  • aetzkorn14
    aetzkorn14 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    We only get orange coloured sweet potatoes......all the white ones are very savoury lol

I wanna say the white ones are Japanese sweet potatoes. That's what our Kroger here has them listed as but I have never tried them.