Different terminologies by country.....

Options

Replies

• mammamaurer
    mammamaurer Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    gutchies(draws, small clothes, undees, underwear)
    pog(small paper bag)
    shop'n buggie(cart)
    montezuma's revenge, hershy squrts, "the runs"
    and of course BACON:flowerforyou:
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I don't know what to ask about,but I want to come back later to read the posts!

Any difference in:
    -Dinner
    - Sneakers (as in shoes)
    -Grocery store
    -Soda

The term dinner is used in Australia too - usually for tea time (ie evening meal) but sometimes also for lunch, particularly if lunch is a hot cooked meal.
    Sneakers and grocery store are terms used here too with same meaning.

By 'soda'. do you mean soft drinks like coke, lemonade? they would be called soft drinks here - I think in UK are called pop.

Some different Australia to UK things.
    Chips in Australia can mean hot chips (what you call French fries) and also packets of chips, which in UK are called crisps.

One big difference: in Australia thongs are footwear - what other places call flip-flops.
    Thongs are not underwear here.

Dinner can refer to lunch in the UK as well, or it has rather formal connotations in the evening - you'd go out to dinner but have tea at home maybe. Some people refer to the evening meal as dinner but I think tea is more common. Dinner is maybe a little later? 8pm, tea would be earlier, say 6? But you'd be understood whichever you say.

Sneakers are trainers. People would recognise the word, but it's not one anyone would use in the UK.

Grocery store - hmmm. I think we'd say supermarket - or name the supermarket (Tesco/Aldi/Sainsbury etc)

Soda - only soda water - other fizzy drinks have their own names - Coke, Fanta, lemonade etc, or carbonated spring water would be called fizzy or sparkling water.

Yep - crisps - except for things like Doritos or other vaguely Mexican style snacks for dipping in salsa - we'd call them chips I think (chip n dip) - unless they're actual Doritos in which case we'd call them Doritos. Otherwise chips are chipped potatoes - but not French Fries - chips are much fatter and made from potatoes that have been cut into thick sticks - not reconstituted like french fries. If you go into a fast food place like McGod's or whatever it's called, they'd be called fries. But if you go to a chippie for fish and chips, they're called chips.

Thongs are either underwear - or leather or chord necklaces actually.
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Options
    Baby or young child?
    Baby
    when it starts to toddle about, toddler, or tot
    after that child or kid or little girl/boy (or brat if you're in a bad mood)
  • lilacinfinity
    lilacinfinity Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Well in New Zealand we have Kumara in 3 colours - gold, orange and red/purple. The red/purple ones are whitish inside and a thick purple skin, and stay quite firm when cooked. The orange ones are soft and mushy when cooked and so sweet. I've never tried the gold ones.
    I think the orange ones are what is known as a sweet potato. At least when I buy "sweet potato fries" in the frozen section I'm like, these are just orange kumara.
    Then a yam is a small, lumpy thing about 3" long. Really they put me in mind of a little turd. Awful things. Yuk.

Spotted dlck in the UK always cracks me up.
  • gym_king_carlie
    gym_king_carlie Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Rugby

UK - Rugby
    Aus - Footie
    USA - Rug-what-now?
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Options
    think of bathroom it probly has the most names. i was in the state asked where the washroom was i got one of those looks of what are you talking about

LOL I gave one of my friends a lengthy explanation of the terms in the UK!

Bathroom is the room where you do your ablutions - usually there is a bath or a shower in it. They're really only found in houses or hotels. There might be a toilet too but there might not if the toilet is separate.
    Toilet is the room where you use the toilet. It may or may not be in the same room as the bath/shower.
    If you are going to use the toilet and it's in the bathroom, you'd still say "I'm going to the toilet" not "I'm going to the bathroom"
    If you're at home or somewhere you feel at home or familiar, you might say loo. "I'll just nip to the loo" or "Can I use your loo?" for example. You might even say "I'm just going to have a wee" or "I need a wee" or "pee" (never the other! Not if you want to be invited back!). Children will be asked if they need a wee, have they had a wee, hadn't they better have a wee now before we go etc.
    If you're out somewhere and feel you ought to be a bit more formal or correct, you'd say "toilet" or according to gender, Ladies or Gents. e.g. in a restaurant, I would ask "Where's the ladies?" or "Is there a ladies?". If very embarrassed or prudish you might say "the facilities". But that's sad and silly.
    Or you could say "I'm going to see a man about a dog". Although I think that's more a blokish thing.
    If all this is too confusing, you can just say "I need to spend a penny".

Aren't we supposed to be renowned for our toilet humour?
  • gym_king_carlie
    Options
    where I am from we have different terminologies to the rest of the UK as it is lol

only in Hull you will find a pattie buttie, bain, down road and so on lol...
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Options
    Baby or young child?

UK North East - young child is a Bairn

Also in Scotland - I was a bairn when I was wee!

And in Hull, although the "r" is dropped, so it's pronounced more like baine.
    And actually, there's also sprog!
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Options
    Even within Australia some fruit have different names - in South Australia we call them rockmelons, in eastern states they call them cantaloupes.
    Not sure which you use in USA or UK?

Just melon. The only melon you'd differentiate would be watermelon.
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Options
    Having sex outdoors while others watch. Apparently, it has a specific name in England.

Rude! That's it's name. I'm shocked :embarassed:

Are you referring to dogging?
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Options
    In Australia the word "fanny" is a vulgar term for a woman's...ahem! Whereas here it's just a polite word for "butt". My mom used it a lot when I was growing up. :laugh:

Also in the UK. And it's far from polite! Very naughty indeed.
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Options
    Having sex outdoors while others watch. Apparently, it has a specific name in England.

Dogging......

Also you would need a solicitor for this sport. Not a lawyer.

And a bloody good barrister I think!
  • Adrianachiarato
    Adrianachiarato Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    *kitten*

US - homossexual

UK - cigarette
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Options
    Rugby

UK - Rugby
    Aus - Footie
    USA - Rug-what-now?

You talking about league or union???
  • Alisontheice
    Alisontheice Posts: 9,624 Member
    Options
    In Canada we have a clothing manufacturer called Roots.

All my Aussie friends would stock up on Roots shirts--they use to have the brand name emblazoned on the front--to take back home since root in Australia was slang for something. We never understood why they'd be giggling at our shirts and hoodies.
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Options
    where I am from we have different terminologies to the rest of the UK as it is lol

only in Hull you will find a pattie buttie, bain, down road and so on lol...

Brayin, bread cake (cake for short) maftin

However, I was stunned to hear my husband use the word clarted - I thought that was an Orkney word! But there's a lot of common Viking roots so lots of similar words.
  • gym_king_carlie
    Options
    like you I am a fellow cod head ;) (Hull Lad or should I say ULL lad lol)

Rugby League, the proper rugby :)
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Options
    *kitten*

US - homossexual

UK - cigarette

Unless you're a member of the current government, when it means junior boy you made run errands for you while you were at public school.
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Options
    like you I am a fellow cod head ;) (Hull Lad or should I say ULL lad lol)

Rugby League, the proper rugby :)

Sorry, luvver, I'm an ex-pat Devonian! Less cod-head, more Devon Rose, (or Devonshire Dumpling maybe ) Only moved to Hull to study in 1981 :tongue:
  • gym_king_carlie
    Options
    ahhhh fairplay, but you have been here to live for a period in your life and an important one, you know the slang, that makes you an adopted cod head in my eyes lol.