Different terminologies by country.....

Options

Replies

• lilacinfinity
    lilacinfinity Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    In Canada we have a clothing manufacturer called Roots.

All my Aussie friends would stock up on Roots shirts--they use to have the brand name emblazoned on the front--to take back home since root in Australia was slang for something. We never understood why they'd be giggling at our shirts and hoodies.

get a root = get laid
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Rugby

UK - Rugby
    Aus - Footie
    USA - Rug-what-now?

You talking about league or union???

Depends which part of Australia you're in "footy" in Victoria, Tasmania, WA (and probably some other parts) would be Australian Rules Football. Rugby would be called rugby (league or union)
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I don't know what to ask about,but I want to come back later to read the posts!

Any difference in:
    -Dinner
    - Sneakers (as in shoes)
    -Grocery store
    -Soda
    Dinner = evening meal in the UK
    Sneakers = Trainers
    Grocery Store = Supermarket
    Soda = Fizzy Drinks
  • gmallan
    Options

All my Aussie friends would stock up on Roots shirts--they use to have the brand name emblazoned on the front--to take back home since root in Australia was slang for something. We never understood why they'd be giggling at our shirts and hoodies.

get a root = get laid

Oh yeah, it's always a little funny when an Anerican says they're "rooting for a team" because in Aus rooting is a slang term for sex.
  • gmallan
    Options
    I don't know what to ask about,but I want to come back later to read the posts!

Any difference in:
    -Dinner
    - Sneakers (as in shoes)
    -Grocery store
    -Soda
    Dinner = evening meal in the UK
    Sneakers = Trainers
    Grocery Store = Supermarket
    Soda = Fizzy Drinks

Prety much the same in Oz except sneakers can also be called "runners", Supermarket often gets abbreviated to "supe" and soda can be "fizzy" or "soft drink" (in contrast to alcohol which is "hard" I suppose)
  • lilacinfinity
    lilacinfinity Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Oh another one I've noticed is lemonade here is flavoured soft drink e.g sprite, 7-up, rather than a beverage made from lemons and sugar (and not fizzy!). that sort of lemonade isn't really big here, although I love it and my neighbours lemon tree is neglected so I make lots!
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    Mall = shopping centre
    Sidewalk = footpath
    Trash = rubbish/garbage
    Trunk = for the car we call it a boot in Australia
    2% milk = skim or light milk
    Bell peppers = capsicum
    Cool Aid = pretty much what cordial is here
    Grill = barbie
    Bathroom = toilet/loo/dunny

I can't think of any others for now. I should know a heap because my Dad is American & usually says different things (although having lived in Australia longer than he did America he's pretty much an Aussie now)
  • Cindy311
    Cindy311 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    This one applies to the United States, but it's interesting to hear some of the differences :smile:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o35PNmbNAjw
  • EmmaOnTrack
    EmmaOnTrack Posts: 425 Member
    Options

Then a yam is a small, lumpy thing about 3" long. Really they put me in mind of a little turd. Awful things. Yuk.

Blasphemy!! Yams (our kind) are the BOMB!! Sweet little nuggets of yum. :heart:
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Mall = shopping centre
    Sidewalk = footpath
    Trash = rubbish/garbage
    Trunk = for the car we call it a boot in Australia
    2% milk = skim or light milk
    Bell peppers = capsicum
    Cool Aid = pretty much what cordial is here
    Grill = barbie
    Bathroom = toilet/loo/dunny

I can't think of any others for now. I should know a heap because my Dad is American & usually says different things (although having lived in Australia longer than he did America he's pretty much an Aussie now)
    Sidewalk/footpath is a pavement here
    Bell peppers = peppers
    Cool Aid = does not exist
  • Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,444 Member
    Options
    In Canada, a pull on hat that covers the ears is a "toque" (pronounced tooook) and while we usually order a coffee like normal people, if someone takes two creams and two sugars, one just orders a "double double". We have turnips (which I think are called rutabagas in the States?) and peameal is a favourite breakfast or lunch item (back bacon). We don't have spotted **** here, but we do have fish n' brews (hard tack soaked in water to make it soft... then fried....??) A case of beer is called a two four, and we ask where the washroom is....and we apologise for almost everything, eh?? :bigsmile:

Edited to add: and I had no idea about the "Roots" meaning elsewhere either lol!
  • gmallan
    Options
    In Canada, a pull on hat that covers the ears is a "toque" (pronounced tooook) and while we usually order a coffee like normal people, if someone takes two creams and two sugars, one just orders a "double double". We have turnips (which I think are called rutabagas in the States?) and peameal is a favourite breakfast or lunch item (back bacon). We don't have spotted **** here, but we do have fish n' brews (hard tack soaked in water to make it soft... then fried....??) A case of beer is called a two four, and we ask where the washroom is....and we apologise for almost everything, eh?? :bigsmile:

Edited to add: and I had no idea about the "Roots" meaning elsewhere either lol!

Toque is a beanie here in Australia
    You would be a bit odd if you ordered cream in your coffee, most people just drink milk
    Case (24) of beer is a carton or slab, 30pack is known as a block, we also don't use the term mickey for a 375ml spirit

Bangs (as in hair) = fringe
    Pumpkin (squash?) is almost never used a sweet food in desserts or baking and is mostly for savoury foods
  • stickytapir
    Options
    US - AUS

sweater = jumper (or sloppy joe as my dad calls them, I don't think young people call them that now)
    sneakers = runners/joggers/sand shoes (another old one my dad uses)
    tracksuit pants = trackies/tracky dacks
    sunglasses = sunnies
    panties = undies (I don't call anything panties unless they're very fine lingerie. Otherwise, it's all undies to me lol)
    swim wear = cossies/swimmers/togs (though togs is something the kiwis around me seem to use more often!)
    pumps = high heels. I don't think I've ever heard anyone call heels "pumps" in Australia.

Can anyone think of anymore clothing related terminologies? I'm blank right now xD
  • captain_reckless
    Options
    US - AUS

sweater = jumper (or sloppy joe as my dad calls them, I don't think young people call them that now)
    sneakers = runners/joggers/sand shoes (another old one my dad uses)
    tracksuit pants = trackies/tracky dacks
    sunglasses = sunnies
    panties = undies (I don't call anything panties unless they're very fine lingerie. Otherwise, it's all undies to me lol)
    swim wear = cossies/swimmers/togs (though togs is something the kiwis around me seem to use more often!)
    pumps = high heels. I don't think I've ever heard anyone call heels "pumps" in Australia.

Can anyone think of anymore clothing related terminologies? I'm blank right now xD

Thats well done, as it explanes that its also generation spasific

I have to say I dont do the word Panties, I feel like a dirty old man when I do

the others I can think of are automotive based

Trunk = Boot
    Hood = Bonnet
    Fender = Mud guard
    Wrench = Spanner
    Tire = Tyre

The other think you need to consider Austrlian wise is the vulger

Sex = Hump, shag, root, pork (and the list goes on) most of wich rarely get used like wise Fanny is a term I havent heard used in years
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Frankie_Felinius Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    Not by country, but by race....I work at a hotel and notice that black people will ask me for a cover, instead of a blanket. Also will ask for a face towel...I can never remember if that is a hand towel or a washcloth so I just give them a set of bath, hand and washcloth.

(Please don't jump my *kitten* about making reference to me being prejudice, etc....I so am not...it is just something I have noticed and find interesting.)
  • ryanherbert
    ryanherbert Posts: 79 Member
    Options

Ahem, this is me.
  • ryanherbert
    ryanherbert Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Even Aus and New Zealand have some differences:

US - flip flops
    AUS - thongs
    NZ - jandals

US - portable cooler
    AUS - esky
    NS - chilly bin
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    ahhhh fairplay, but you have been here to live for a period in your life and an important one, you know the slang, that makes you an adopted cod head in my eyes lol.

Aw shucks :blushing: I feel so loved :flowerforyou:
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Options
    Not by country, but by race....I work at a hotel and notice that black people will ask me for a cover, instead of a blanket. Also will ask for a face towel...I can never remember if that is a hand towel or a washcloth so I just give them a set of bath, hand and washcloth.

(Please don't jump my *kitten* about making reference to me being prejudice, etc....I so am not...it is just something I have noticed and find interesting.)

I suspect it's not a race thing at all, skin tone has no impact on vocabulary or grammer! But it will still be the same as everyone else - nationality, upbringing, culture. The people I know who are African/Caribbean would ask you for a blanket, a flannel or a towel - because they're British. People of African/Caribbean descent of other nationalities will maybe use other vocabulary. As might African people and Caribbean people.
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Options

get a root = get laid

Oh yeah, it's always a little funny when an Anerican says they're "rooting for a team" because in Aus rooting is a slang term for sex.

Never heard that before LOL - is that from rutting?