Worst compliment you've ever gotten.

Options

Replies

• judyde
    judyde Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    When I was dating my ex, we ran into his ex-girlfriend at dinner one night. I was friendly, 'cause why not. And then she told me I like like "that chick from Misery." The actress Kathy Bates. Now I have nothing against her as an actress but...!!!

Kathy Bates was very pretty back in the day - check this out: http://pdxretro.com/2011/06/kathy-bates-is-63-today/
  • fyoufat
    Options
    "You have such a pretty face", I think some fat girls might get why this compliment is actually a little annoying

Only a woman could take kind words like that and twist them around into an insult. If anyone in my entire life told me I had a pretty face I would be ecstatic.

this is why I said some fat girls would get why this is annoying, it is a compliment and obviously I appreciate that they think my face is pretty but sometimes I think of it as-you are fat but at least your face isn't ugly. It just reminds me how fat I am and how being fat is holding me back to my full potential (not just physically).
  • sare_bear90
    sare_bear90 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    My dental hygienist: "Wow, you have more saliva than most people!! No it's a good thing, it keeps your mouth really clean!"
  • Stump_Likker
    Stump_Likker Posts: 2,059 Member
    Options
    You're not one of those yessum yessum sisters. WTH does that even mean?
  • 2stepscloser
    2stepscloser Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    You'd be hot if you lost some weight.
    43932452 Posts: 7,246 Member
    Options
    You look sexy with wet hair (After being caught in huge downpour).
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Random guy came up to my mate in a pub about 4years ago & asked if she'd pose with his friend for a pic. He said they were looking to get as many pictures as possible with fit lasses. He then looked me up & down sighed & said "well I suppose you could be in it too"...... :laugh:
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    "You look great but I know you have more to go"
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I was crushed when I asked my introverted hubby for a compliment. He told me that I was organized. That wasn't quite what I was hoping for. I asked him if there was anything he liked about my *physical appearance*, and he said "Well, your height is good."
    Crushed, I tell ya.

I laugh about it now. He assumed that I already knew he thought I was pretty. He was trying to think of a more unique compliment and trying to convey how much he likes it that when we hug, the top of my head nestles against his shoulder right under his chin.
    At least he's sticking to that story. :wink:
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,687 Member
    Options
    The typical "You'd be such a knockout if only you'd lose weight".

The "If only"

Ummm.....thank you?? :huh:
    ^ Yeah, that!

It usually comes out as "you have such a pretty face, too bad you're overweight/heavy/fat/etc." which is why I don't like being told I have a pretty face...

Also from www.straightdope.com:

The guy who first used "built like a brick ****house" to describe a woman with a nice figure wasn't thickheaded, just a smart-*kitten*. From the Random House Historical Dictionary of American Slang we learn that: (a) the phrase and its euphemistic variants date back at least to 1903; (b) said variants replace "****house" with switch shanty, schoolhouse, slaughterhouse, or backhouse, among others; and (c) all were originally--and more sensibly--applied to men of solid or powerful build. When said of women, one 1938 source notes, the phrase usually meant a "heavy, cloddish, sexually unappetizing female." But even in the 1930s a few wiseguys were applying it to attractive women, and in the U.S. that usage has now supplanted all others.

But not everywhere. In Australia and the UK, at least, "built like a brick ****house" still most commonly refers to well-built men. Therefore be advised to use caution in tossing this phrase about whilst abroad; you may be taking your life in your hands.
  • ChrisTina_Fisher
    Options
    I was told that I look older now that I've lost weight! I was floored!
  • MalindaLeigh714
    MalindaLeigh714 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    "But you've got such a pretty face!"
  • Sylvitryinghard
    Sylvitryinghard Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    are you pregnant??????????????? shovel in the face
  • MalindaLeigh714
    MalindaLeigh714 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    are you pregnant??????????????? shovel in the face

Oo, yes that one too! Usually by little kids, then the mom awkwardly laughs and says something along the lines of "oh his aunts pregnant so he thinks everyone else is too!"
  • Sylvitryinghard
    Sylvitryinghard Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    or "hello big butt" uuum ya ok I like my butt and I can loose weight and you are still ugly :explode:
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    "you're hot as balls"

Right?! I've gotten that before too, lol!! Last I checked, 'balls' aren't hot! :laugh:

you dont have to live with them. probably the sweatiest part of a mans body.
  • KMiYong
    KMiYong Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    "you'd be so pretty if you lost weight"
    wait.. what? so you say I'm ugly? -.-'
    "you're beautiful! but you really need a diet"
    oh gee, thanks a lot -.-'

that's basically all I get haha
  • bantamspaul
    bantamspaul Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    My wife is the middle of 3 sisters. At the older one's wedding my Father-in-law told her bridesmaid (in the presence of my wife) that he was very proud - daughter 1 had the personality, 2 had the brains and 3 had the looks. The bridesmaid told him he had managed to offend all of his daughters in just a few words and he smiled and wandered off oblivious.
  • shutyourpieholeandsquat
    Options
    I've gotten several times that I was really "f**kable".......um, thank you? wth???