Any males who don't want ANY muscle definition on your body

Options

Replies

• trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I prefer the "toned" look, but i suppose thats still some muscle definition. Cant stand that "jacked" or "ripped" look. I also cant stand that "heroin sheik" look.

heroin sheik...lmao. I need to steal this one.

and yeah, muscle definition is nasty. No thanks
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I am perfectly content with the not so defined "scrawny" me thank you very much... Those who feel the need to make themselves more fit based off of appearances alone are self conscious people who need to rethink their lives. Not being muscular doesn't make me any less of a man
    Ironically that statement makes you just as judgemental as the people you seem to assume are judging you.

Exactly.
  • cats847
    cats847 Posts: 131
    Options
    I would say most korean and Japanese men would fall under this category.

Thats-racist.gif

Actually, It's not racist....it's a cultural thing.

I can't speak for Korea -- a lot of their male celebs are pretty bulky -- but as for Japan, there are simply different aesthetic standards for men. Over there, men are more focused on their appearance through fashion/style, hair, and grooming. The average Japanese man doesn't care about being muscular, he rather focuses on these other aspects.

Obviously there are exceptions, just like anywhere else -- look at all the MMA fighters coming out of Japan. But aside from professional athletes, being extremely "ripped" and "jacked" in Japan is considered a part of gay subculture.

Different culture -- different tastes and different preferences. That's just the way it is.

Coincidentally, I actually had a conversation about this phenomenon a few weeks ago -- with my husband, who is Japanese :flowerforyou:
  • takumaku
    takumaku Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I believe the OP should clarify the definition of "muscle definition".

--> Muscle definition as in power lifter.
    --> Muscle definition as in body builder.
    --> Muscle definition as in endurance (long distance) runner.
    --> Muscle definition as in sprinter (low/medium distance) runner.
    --> Muscle definition for health reasons (i.e. to control reactive hypo, blood sugar spikes, etc.).
    --> Other
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I am perfectly content with the not so defined "scrawny" me thank you very much... Those who feel the need to make themselves more fit based off of appearances alone are self conscious people who need to rethink their lives. Not being muscular doesn't make me any less of a man

Not everybody does it for appearance. Some have health issues and its just a benefit of the exercise with genetics involved...

in the words of Shaun T 'i just wanna look good'... but obviously that makes me a bad person.... but i'm a girl, so maybe its ok? who knows!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I prefer the "toned" look, but i suppose thats still some muscle definition. Cant stand that "jacked" or "ripped" look. I also cant stand that "heroin sheik" look.

heroin sheik...lmao. I need to steal this one.

and yeah, muscle definition is nasty. No thanks

heroin sheik... is that someone shooting up with a tea towel on their head?!

or do you mean heroin chic?!
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    heroin sheik... is that someone shooting up with a tea towel on their head?!

or do you mean heroin chic?!
    I think he's talking about Keith RIchards with a towel on his head..
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I think this is accurate. Here in the U.S. I think most people would attribute such an aspiration(the desire to have no visible muscle mass) to homosexuals. Of course, there are homosexuals who do want muscle mass but if a man didn't want muscle mass he would be presumed to be gay.

Now there's an inaccurate stereotype. Most of the gay men I've known were really into lifting for the sole purpose of aesthetics.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Regarding asian men.....
    I don't know....anyone see Bruce Lee? :noway: :noway: Of course he is Chinese.....
    But still, that was one ripped brother.

And regarding muscles?
    Yeah, I hate them also, they get in the way.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    I think this is accurate. Here in the U.S. I think most people would attribute such an aspiration(the desire to have no visible muscle mass) to homosexuals. Of course, there are homosexuals who do want muscle mass but if a man didn't want muscle mass he would be presumed to be gay.

Now there's an inaccurate stereotype. Most of the gay men I've known were really into lifting for the sole purpose of aesthetics.

I have seen both sides of this.
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options

I have seen both sides of this.

Exactly--if there are two obvious sides. it's a bad stereotype. Or maybe two good stereotypes? :flowerforyou:
  • markiend
    markiend Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    The waif look ... (along with heroin chic hehehehe ) seems to indicate there are plenty who don't seem bothered to have definition.

If people want to look a certain way ...good for them. Once people start mocking and ridiculing others for not wanting to be in great shape .. or for looking in bad shape , then I guess they have issues.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options

picture please. I need exampled because I can't understand how ANYONE could have something bad to say about...

tumblr_m6tg4sfYeP1qznybeo1_500.jpg

Don't assume. Not everyone has your definition of what they find attractive. Please stop with the judgments about anyone who does not share your view.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

I can't speak for Korea -- a lot of their male celebs are pretty bulky -- but as for Japan, there are simply different aesthetic standards for men. Over there, men are more focused on their appearance through fashion/style, hair, and grooming. The average Japanese man doesn't care about being muscular, he rather focuses on these other aspects.

Obviously there are exceptions, just like anywhere else -- look at all the MMA fighters coming out of Japan. But aside from professional athletes, being extremely "ripped" and "jacked" in Japan is considered a part of gay subculture.

Different culture -- different tastes and different preferences. That's just the way it is.

Coincidentally, I actually had a conversation about this phenomenon a few weeks ago -- with my husband, who is Japanese :flowerforyou:

So much generalization and stereotype. I just can't....

ETA- When Koreans and Japanese are put in the same category in the first place... yeah.
  • MityMax96
    Options

ETA- When Koreans and Japanese are put in the same category in the first place... yeah.

You know who is bad about doing that?

Hollywood....I am married to a pinay.....
    So we always laugh when they have a chinese person cast to play the role of a japanese person....
    "Memoirs of a Geisha" come to mind.
  • Love4fitnesslove4food2
    Options

Of course, but that's how society operates. Just like Hispanic people in the U.S., they are routinely lumped into one category without appreciation or acknowledgement of their cultural difference. I mean, women with short haircuts and tomboy-esque style are presumed to be lesbians. To act like the stereotypes don't exist would be naive at best and downright foolish at worst.
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    Nonsense. Anytime you assert something like "All A is B." regarding a broad cross section of humanity, you come dangerously close to negating your larger point. No group of people, whether arranged according to gender, ethnicity, sex, religion, etc. fit comfortably into a single box.

Of course there are males out there who could care less about muscle definition (as this thread has demonstrated). I'm not one of them. I'm in for the aesthetics as much as I am for the functionality. But that doesn't mean that anyone else automatically fits in my box. (Giggity.)
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Look at a program called "Visual Impact for Men." It's for men who don't want to bulk up. Or did you mean no muscle definition at all?
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

Of course, but that's how society operates. Just like Hispanic people in the U.S., they are routinely lumped into one category without appreciation or acknowledgement of their cultural difference. I mean, women with short haircuts and tomboy-esque style are presumed to be lesbians. To act like the stereotypes don't exist would be naive at best and downright foolish at worst.

Not acknowledging it is one thing... feeding it is quite another.