I like pizza and ice cream.
  • dylanafghjkl
    dylanafghjkl Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I JUST WANNA LOOK LIKE I'M IN A BAND THOUGH
  • mzenzer
    mzenzer Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I am perfectly content with the not so defined "scrawny" me thank you very much... Those who feel the need to make themselves more fit based off of appearances alone are self conscious people who need to rethink their lives. Not being muscular doesn't make me any less of a man

Not everybody does it for appearance. Some have health issues and its just a benefit of the exercise with genetics involved...

This is a exception, if one requires it based off of health reasons that's a whole other ball game!

This is the exception? What makes you the authority of what the intent is of every other guy who likes to work out and has packed on a few muscles? Seriously, who gives a **** anyway if someone wants muscles or not. it's none of anyones business. I could care less if you are as skinny as a pencil, truly I would not lose sleep over it, but seems like you have the hangup about it.

For me personally, yes, I do like the way a reasonable (based on standards for myself) amount of muscle looks. But I also like being "strong". I grew up in a area where you had to defend yourself on occasion, and I also studied martial arts most of my life. Now I have a family, so for me being a little strong and able to take care of myself and my family is important. Whether it's a false sense of security is irrelevant, it's more of a driving force for what I do than looks are. You should not be so quick to paint everyone with such a broad stroke.
  • VelvetMorning
    VelvetMorning Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I think with women it's more of a case of, "I don't want rippling muscles on my body, I want to be little and toned like popstars!" - so I'm not sure if this is a fair comparison of women's psychosis over body image. It's not that the women posting these threads (IMO) want to be absolutely muscleless, they just don't want to be "big." Maybe you'd get better results rephrasing the question to, "Do you want a smaller body with muscles (Ryan Phillippe, Josh Hartnet), medium muscles (Brad Pitt, Ryan Reynolds) or gigantic muscles (The Rock, Arnold Schwarzenegger)?"

Then watch all the ladies swamp into this thread. :P
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Dislike of muscle definition on their body is a characteristic exclusive to women.
    [/quote]

I don't think anything is 100% exclusive to one gender or the other, but I think this statement is generally true. Most males, whether they seek it or not, are probably not going to be disappointed with muscle definition.

But I think there are a decent percentage of women that would prefer not to have it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I've never really thought about it. I was involved in all sorts of athletics growing up and just naturally developed a fitness body. It wasn't anything I consciously strived for...it just happened. I've never had any real aspirations to "body build" and bulk that kind of muscle, but I do like the fact that working out does make me look better.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I am perfectly content with the not so defined "scrawny" me thank you very much... Those who feel the need to make themselves more fit based off of appearances alone are self conscious people who need to rethink their lives. Not being muscular doesn't make me any less of a man

Well there's one, which is absolutely enough to make me eat my words.

Still, I can totally see your forearm veins. Maybe that's not much definition but its...something.

Since when does vascularity = muscle mass?
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    I would say most korean and Japanese men would fall under this category.

That's...not very nice.

I know of many Asian men that I do martial arts with that are not "scrawny" by any means.

LOL!
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options

Ok, this made me LOL.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    I haven't read through all the responses, but are you asking if there are men who would prefer NOT to have muscle definition, or are there men who don't care if they have muscle definition?

I think it would be hard for anyone, male or female, to be fit and not have some definition. But I would imagine there are quite a few males that don't actively seek it. Probably a lot more than wouldn't mind having the definition, but not if means dieting to get rid of the layer of fat that hides it.

Yes, I see that it is a little confusing. What I really want to know is if there are any men who, upon the appearance of muscle definition on their bodies, would begin to distress over it and write a post asking how they can still workout without becoming to 'bulky' or something like that. You know, the way women do on here from time to time.
    women also embrace the appearance of muscle definition on here from time to time.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but now all I can do is think of all the HOT ASIANS I know from MFP.

*swoon* Hot Asians...
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

Also, I'm starting to like you.
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    I want muscle that backs up my napoleon complex.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    I want muscle that backs up my napoleon complex.
    *slams down weights and GLARES*
    I SHOWED YOU.
  • dylanafghjkl
    dylanafghjkl Posts: 76 Member
    Options

Ok, this made me LOL.

Also, I'm starting to like you.

u two r my favourite kind of people
  • AnabolicKyle
    AnabolicKyle Posts: 489 Member
    Options

content and rather be are two different things

"Those who feel the need to make themselves more fit based off of appearances alone are self conscious people who need to rethink their lives."
    strong logic^

"Not being muscular doesn't make me any less of a man"
    agreed 100% though from a purely mass per mass basis it actually does. i kid, i kid, i joke, i joke.
  • ren_ascent
    ren_ascent Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    sure, every guy wants to take off his shirt at the beach and look like a pile of cookie dough ...bahahahahahaha

I work out because I want to be strong, fit, athletic, etc..and if looking good with my clothes off is an additional benefit, then so be it...

I think you can put a checkmark next to all those wants you mentioned.
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I think a fitness board is a very poor place for this type of question. Of course the answers will be skewed towards people who are more fitness minded.

I can't comprehend why a women wouldn't want some muscle and definition (aka "tone").

I also know that some men suffer from body dis-morphia and disordered eating.

Generalizations and stereo types are just that.
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options

Not everybody does it for appearance. Some have health issues and its just a benefit of the exercise with genetics involved...

This is a exception, if one requires it based off of health reasons that's a whole other ball game!
    I am totally okay with people who have no interest in getting in shape for aesthetic reasons only, but there is nothing wrong with that. Taking care of yourself and wanting to look a certain way doesn't make you a "self-conscious person who needs to rethink their lives" and I have to wonder why you'd jump to such an absurd conclusion... :huh:
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that the entire reason the OP is asking for examples of males who don't want muscle definition is because he said the following things, which people took him to task over in another thread:
    I understand women and what they want.
    Dislike of muscle definition on their body is a characteristic exclusive to women.
    Okay, well that's pretty ridiculous.