Is this going TOO far???

Options
13»

Replies

• kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I think the maintenance would be a B@tch. Based on the theory that you have to continue whatever you did to lose the weight to maintain the loss - you would spend your life with a nasogastric feeding tube? Um, no.

How attractive is that - walking about with the tube in your nose. Will they make a sparkly one for the trendy girls? Sports colors for football team fans? Glow in the dark for halloween? Looks like a worm for Halloween? I don't know what I'm talking about - they're probably already producing them.

Low carb - I have less problem with. It suits some well. NG tube - no. That's crazy.

Please be careful OP - HIPAA could bite you on this post.
  • mag131
    mag131 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Do you work for a cult, by chance? I think it's crazy that so many people you work with would actually attempt this..
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    wow they give out medical degrees to anyone.
  • _Rogue
    _Rogue Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Yikes. :frown:
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    wow they give out medical degrees to anyone.

THIS X2
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Of course it's ridiculous, but I'm sure someone will plunk down $$ for this ..... and STILL chow down on a box of cookies & a bag of chips ...... make sure jaws get wired at the same time :noway:
  • TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    Sometimes there aren't two credible sides to a debate. When faced with utter madness, you don't necessarily need to debate its merits, you can simply point out the silliness of the proposition.

Exactly.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Yes. It is taking it way too and it's sad that people would do that to themselves especially with a physician telling them to.
  • Brandi92809
    Brandi92809 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I agree. A doctor should know better. Just because the patient has the money to be able to do this does NOT mean that they should do this. I personally dont think anyone should do this. EVER.
  • shaleasymphony
    shaleasymphony Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I think yes and no. And hear me out on this.

I think that for an extremely obese person who is maybe considering a lapband type of thing then this is not going too far. And I only say that because they really can't eat too much after the surgery so I think this is a good way to prepare them for that, that way they still don't try to gorge themselves. Or anything else that goes along this line.

However, if you're only 30 pounds overweight and trying to do that then I think it is taking it way too far
  • CycleGuy9000
    Options
    What! That's ridiculous! 800 calories is way too much, should be 500.
  • vanillacoffee
    vanillacoffee Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    This is CRAZY. That is definitely going too far.
  • AquabearGO
    AquabearGO Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!

So today was an interesting day at work....VERY interesting.....

One of the doctors in our clinic is Pro low carb, no more than 20g/day outside of the list of acceptable foods, and director of his own lifestyle management weight loss clinic. He is currently working with another physician here in our area to promote this new "K. E. Diet" which to my understanding is basically a feeding tube through your nose and down your throat pumping an 800 calorie Fat/Protein/Water solution into your stomach each day.

The expectation is that you could lose 20lbs in 10 days or 10% of your body weight. No eating at all, only water, unsweet tea, or black coffee. This "diet" is something they supposedly got from Europe but all I have seen in videos is Americans. It seems like people are using it as a crash diet and most of the videos they state it's to help them lose weight before their wedding. There were 6 people from our clinic chosen to give this 7 day $1500 procedure a go. Only one of the participants is considered overweight/obese. The rest are pretty petite women with about 15-30lbs to lose.

Do you think this is TOO extreme? Dangerous? Maybe even lazy?

I'm curious to see what others think about this.
    dumb and dangerous
  • NeverCatchYourBreath
    Options
    I am surprised more people have not heard of this. I saw this on TV months and months ago now. All of the people I saw interviewed about it were only doing it to lose weight quickly before an event. I didn't see anyone doing it long term, in fact, I'm not sure they would've let them do it long term.
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options

OMG!!! NOW I get why I have come to disdain Medical Doctors! They need to stick to emergency medicine and leave health to Experts (NDs, Herbalist, even some Nutritionists...) MDs will come up with ANYTHING to try and pay off those half million dollar college loans, even to the point of KILLING People! One reason 'we' have so much Kidney and Liver failure and deterioration in this country is these high protein/low carb DIETS! Also, they prey on people with eating disorders/most of USA, but that is because of the Food, Supplement and Pharmaceutical Industries. This stuff/concepts are disgusting! For SURE, MDs are NOT Healers.

LOL

i can ASSURE you that any doc that is engaging in this is NOT an emergency medicine physician.

and please don't lump all MDs into one basket with these loons. that's just stupid.
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    OMG!!! NOW I get why I have come to disdain Medical Doctors! They need to stick to emergency medicine and leave health to Experts (NDs, Herbalist, even some Nutritionists...) MDs will come up with ANYTHING to try and pay off those half million dollar college loans, even to the point of KILLING People! One reason 'we' have so much Kidney and Liver failure and deterioration in this country is these high protein/low carb DIETS! Also, they prey on people with eating disorders/most of USA, but that is because of the Food, Supplement and Pharmaceutical Industries. This stuff/concepts are disgusting! For SURE, MDs are NOT Healers.

WHAT? The top two causes of renal failure requiring dialysis are untreated hypertension and diabetes. Diabetes is a state of carb intolerance and can be controlled by low carb in many cases. Healthy kidneys do not have any problem with high protein diets - they conserve protein by their nature. If you lose protein through your kidneys you already had kidney damage.

Low carb is reasonable - depending on the circumstances and medical conditions. I would like to see your references - actual references not pop science please.

shhhhhh. stop talking all that sense. you'll scare it away.

:bigsmile:
  • VeganLexi
    VeganLexi Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I completely support anyone who wants to make the choice to do an extreme and unhealthy diet such as this one. If they are dumb enough to do it, they deserve the consequences. I just hope they do it before they have kids. Clean out the gene pool a little.

+1
  • BurningAway
    Options
    It seems message boards have been reduced to posting funny pictures, good luck getting a constructive discussion going.

What exactly is there to discuss? It is an 800 calorie per day feeding tube. Not only is it a VLCD, but the person does not learn how to eat properly, which will cause them to simply put the weight back on. Not only that, but to lose 20lbs of fat/muscle mass in 10 days you'd have to have a daily deficit of 7,000 calories, which isn't happening in this case, which means the person is losing mainly water weight and becoming dehydrated.

Qft
  • FrauHaas2013
    FrauHaas2013 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Wow, doesn't seem like the right move for people trained in the trade!!! I have always understood that VLCD are for morbidly obese...not a 10-day "quick fix" for petite women looking to drop 15 pounds...perhaps they're looking for a quick way to supplement their income???