WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2013

Options

Replies

• adashelley
    Options
    I just signed up and would like to lose 20 pounds - which I have needed to lose for 9 years (after youngest was born-I'll be 50 soon so I do belong in this age group). I am looking for some accountability. Going to start by posting and see if the community is enough to keep me honest. However, I'll start my diet tomorrow as it is after midnight. Goodnight.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,323 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone! It's so great to get back properly to my gymming and weight training. I love working up a sweat these days! To think I used to hate it. The only exercise I could contemplate was swimming, but I've gradually got to relish a good sweat.

I've been worrying about my rental flat again as there is a window with a draught they say needs replacing. That's another argument I've got to have. I am going to ring the agency tomorrow and also the estate agent tomorrow and see about selling it. I am worried that the lease is down to 70 years which makes it difficult, if not impossible, to get a mortgage so that could be a huge expense for me. It all keeps me awake and I don't need the hassle. What I do need is for my ex to pay me the money he owes me. Grrrrrrr!:explode: :grumble:

Sylvia- I feel for you with the noisy party. I HATE noise, especially loud music. Our neighbours are very noisy - always doing something to improve their property, blowing their leaves or mowing their grass. We never have a day when we can just enjoy the peace and quiet in the garden. I hope you got a good night's sleep in the end.

Kathy - it's so hard to keep control of eating under stress. Half the battle is keeping track and sharing how you are doing. Well done for that. I find when I am stressed I have 2 alcoholic drinks in the evening instead of my normal one, but I only do it if I have enough calories. Not a good habit, but hard to resist when I'm tired and stressed.

Susan - gosh those gallery prices! I'm going to NYC next year this time and I know it will be very expensive to see all the art I'm looking forward to. The motor bikes sound very annoying! There were a lot of bikes in Rome roaring about, but they generally were in packs of four or so.

Michelle - you are a wonder with your contributions to the feast! Your husband was right! Glad you enjoyed your murder evening.

Sun shining today, heavy dew on the grass. I hope it dries off a bit so DH can mow it. The leaves will be falling soon. I want to get broad beans and garlic in this week. The broccoli has been devoured by caterpillars and the brussel sprouts by slugs and snails. I am still hoping to get a crop off them, but next year I will net everything. I have picked zillions of caterpillars off this year. I love butterflies, but the cabbage whites have been an absolute plague- numbers up by 300% nationally. At least we haven't got feral hogs! Yikes!:noway: :huh:
    Must also get bulbs into the pots on the patio.

Love to all. Heather from autumnal, but sunny Hampshire UK
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,780 Member
    Options
    morning ladies,
    well I slept in:bigsmile: feeling good,and icing my heel and drinking my warm lemon water.. then I will get to the gym, get everything ready for our trip.. and we are taking dad out to a seafood restaurant for his birthday tonight.....lost a few ounces so I am down in the 140's Whooo Hoooo
  • JennInTx
    JennInTx Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    For two days now, I have clicked that I'm through with my food diary, but it doesn't complete. Not sure what's going on.

Welcome to all the newbies! Hope you post often.

Loving this cool weather. It was in the 50's yesterday and this morning I woke up to a brisk 48 degrees. A big change from the high 80's we've been having. I've already enjoyed a cup of tea with my four legged babies as we walked around the yard. About to get dressed and take my youngest one for a walk.

DH is a little under the weather, so I've been his acting nurse this weekend. Hope I don't catch whatever he has. I can't afford to be sick. I have a vacation on the horizon and too much to do.

Happy Sunday to you all.

Jenn
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    I got the medical report back from my blood tests when I visited the doctor Friday and it shows elevated cholesterol, both the good and bad kind. So I’m going to need to watch my fat intake. I actually think that the elevation she is seeing MIGHT be from my body burning it’s own fat as part of weight loss. I’m going to go in and check my data, but I don’t think I’m eating that much fat. I’ll see what I can do. Everything else was fine. We spent hours at an Apple genius bar yesterday trying to get problems resolved. DH wound up with a replacement iphone because his was a lemon. The new one is working fine. I wound up with an OS upgrade on my computer. The problem is that I can’t get into the itunes store now. I have a call in to talk to someone. I’ve had these products for a long time and this is the first time I’ve had problems this difficult to solve. It all started with updating my cell phone. AARRGGHH!:explode:

Susan: I wonder whether there was some sort of motorcycle event yesterday. We were surrounded by motorcycles while we were on our way home from Portland yesterday and the riders were dressed oddly, in my opinion. Many were in business attire. We just stayed in our lane and eventually didn’t see them any more. They were clearly in a group with a leader.:huh:

Michele: Thanks for reporting on your Mystery Party. It sounds as though you enjoyed the experience, even though the guilty person confessed rather than following the rules.:ohwell: :flowerforyou:

Heather: I’m glad you’re safely home and enjoyed your trip. I’m sorry your having issues with your rental. Good luck.:flowerforyou:

Grandmalllie: Congratulations on your weight loss! I hope you enjoy your upcoming trip.:flowerforyou:

Jenn: Here’s wishing you good luck with your health and your upcoming vacation..:flowerforyou:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

October goals:
    1. Log every bite
    2. Move more.
    3. Drink at least 4 glasses of water daily.
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy sun.A cool day in the 60`s.80`s one day now 60`s.
    have a good one.off to church.
    HUGS
  • Mollybesweet
    Mollybesweet Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Hello Fabulous Ladies :flowerforyou:
    Have not been very active for a month but always mindful of my place here :happy:

Been in Colorado since sept.25.and all I can say for now is WOW! it is Fantastic !
    My DD is doing better and I am trying to help her out as much as I can.Really sprained my knee bad and have been babying it.

October 3 I had to accompany my DD and her gentle giant (my grandpuppy I called him) to the vet for his final day.Cancer and autoimmune disease was spreading through him so we gently let him have peace.It was the most heart wrecking moments I have experienced in some time.What made it so wonderful in this odd moments was the fabulous vets at the dublin veterinary clinic. my DD is having a roller coaster of emotions-He was with her through her illness,her husbands deployment etc.He (his name was Brogan) was a wounded warrior himself (in iraq) and was a bout to meet his end when my DD found him at the shelter and it was love at first sight :heart:
    Pets are so special to us and such a big part of our lives.What an incredible experience to have these loving loyal creatures enter out lives.My lil doggie and cat at home are sadly missing me but I talk to them every day.

on to a more positive note.Weigh lost total is 18 pound so I am happy with that.
    October Resolutions : Help my DD to make more healthy choices
    drinks ALOT more water.
    Make it to the Garden of the Gods without passing out !lol

love to all
    from Molly from WV
    now in Colorado
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Molly you are such a wonderful Mom, Grandma and Grandma of fur babies. So sorry for that loss but we are all so grateful for those wonderful doctors who dedicate their lives to taking care of our wonderful fur babies. I'm sure it was as difficult for him to help him cross over as it was for your daughter to have to make that decision. We have a Garden of the Gods here in our area also. I have seen pictures of the one out there and I think more tourists know it but ours is beautiful. We call it our mini Grand Canyon.

I bit my tongue today eating an apple slice at lunch today. Oh how I saw stars. I immediately started drinking ice water and swishing it to that part of my tongue but when I went to the Y and was drinking my usual ice water it was almost impossible it hurt so much. So when I got home I threw out my mug of ice water and filled it with warm water. That's the only way I could drink my water. My afternoon snack is Yoplait light yogurt and I picked Boston Cream pie since it had no fruit in it. I wasn't sure what the acid would do. It's still quite raw and open after several hours.

Katla, at least some of your labs were good. Focus on that. You will get it

Joyce, Indiana
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies. This will be short. I was up til 4:30 this morning being sick and very dizzy. Slept til 11 and just being up a little bit has totally worn me out! Amazing, isn’t it?

Sandy: keep focusing on you and your health. Sorry you are having so much drama in your family. I don’t understand why people use facebook for that kind of stuff.

Sylvia: well of course all Frisbees belong to your dog! That is so funny. Our last dog would have fought to the death for a tennis ball!

Kathy let us know how school starts out for you! I forgot what you are taking

Sue : can people hunt around residential areas?

Susan: hope you enjoy your visit despite the motorcycle gangs!

Michele: can’t wait to see your picture…glad you had fun

Adashelley: welcome

Heather: rentals can be a pain but we do enjoy having ours…we have 4 homes and 2 of them are duplexes, so we have 6 units that stay rented most of the time.

Grandmallie: good for you to be in the 140s. Have fun at dinner tonight.

Katla: fat intake is important to those numbers, but about 75% of it is hereditary. I’m hoping my LDH will be down too in December.

Molly so sorry about the loss of your dear pet. I think it’s such a privilege to be with them at the end. Good for you on the weight loss.

Joyce: ouch! Hope your tongue feels better.

Well DD#1 is coming over in a few minutes to get all of the rest of her things. She has put this off several times so we finally told her it all had to be gone today. We put the furniture in the garage so they don’t have to take it down the stairs and packed all her other “stuff” into the drawers so they can carry those separately. I actually think she doesn’t want to come get the stuff because it makes her move pretty final.
    Take care, Meg from Omaha where it is drizzling and cool.
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Molly so sorry for your loss.:sad:
    Hugs:heart::heart:
  • JennInTx
    JennInTx Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I have spent several hours this afternoon cleaning out my closet. I can't believe how many things I have held on to that, even if I hadn't gained weight, I would not wear. Purged all of those things and now have plenty of room to hang up things I've stuffed in storage containers under my bed. It feels good. It also gave me the opportunity to pull out some of my clothes for my upcoming vacation. I always make a spreadsheet of all my clothes (evening, day, top, bottom, etc). Hubby thinks it's crazy, but I list everything. This way I see the items I'm bringing and can streamline my selections. Years of traveling for work has taught me how to minimize my packing. I once spent 3 weeks in the UK with only 1 medium size suitcase and my backpack.

Hubby is feeling better, thank goodness. Otherwise I would not have been as productive this afternoon. Even found time to pamper myself with a mani/pedi. It felt nice.

I'm cooking a roast in the crockpot for dinner. I love crockpot cooking. Such an easy cleanup. And that means I will have plenty of leftovers for lunch tomorrow and I'll put together a sandwich for my hubby tomorrow too. If anyone has any favorite crockpot recipes, please share. I have a few I enjoy making that I will gladly share.

Molly- I'm so sorry for your loss. Your daughter was lucky to have you there with her. And thank goodness for such a wonderful vet. It helps to have an understanding and compassionate doctor by your side.

Joyce - I feel your pain. I hope your tongue heals quickly.

Meg - I do hope you take care of yourself and that you feel better soon.

Susan- Enjoy your time in NYC. I will be there over Thanksgiving. Looking forward to it, but not the motorcycle gangs.

Katia - I had issues myself on my iPad when I ran the upgrade. Finally reached someone to resolve the problems. Good luck with that. Hope they help resolve your issue.

I'm in such a cleaning mode that I think I'm going to tackle my dresser now. Hope everyone has a great evening!

Jenn
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Good evening, ladies,

Arrived home this afternoon; left DD at college this am.......too many hours on the road in too few days!!! DD enjoyed herself and got to see a place she's dreamed of for years--Biltmore Estate. It certainly was impressive and gorgeous. We saw huge rolls of hay in fields, pumpkins, tobacco, and cotton just bursting from pods.......fields and fields of everything along the way! Went down I 81 through Tenn.---waved to kevrit---then into N.C.---waved to Michele and Dee Dee
    I 26 is really an awesome road; line after line of mountain ranges. In a couple weeks the leaves will be wonderful, they are just starting to turn now. We had an early turning maple outside our hotel window and enjoyed every second of looking at it. On the way back, we came up I 77 to I 81......the leaves in Va. on 77 were the most turned of all those we saw. Food was great; ate well except for one day when I'm sure I went over. We are not huge on planning; decided on the trip and left within about 3 days; pretty spur of the moment and turned out fine. Weather was fine........upper 80's every day, evenings in low 70's..........just perfect!!!

I have read and read posts. Think I'm caught up.

Heather..........Happy (very) belated birthday; sounds like your trip was all you wanted and like you and dh had a great time.

Meg.......Feel better!!!

Molly.......So sorry about your dd's dog.

Need to get on laundry and plan an early bedtime.
    G'nite, everybody.........
    yanniejannie
    mid-Atlantic
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,780 Member
    Options
    had a very nice time at dinner, my dad enjoyed it...the only thing that put a slight damper on it is that my brother and SIL had had a few cocktails.. though all went well, the staff came over and sang my dad happy birthday,so that was cute.. and he enjoyed his meal.
    I was bad, got the small serving of fried clam strips,they tasted real good,had butternut squash and a salad with it and 1/2 slice of bread and unsweetened ice tea..but was under my calorie count.. so thats good..
    I dont know if it is the weather or that I have been on my feet, but my heel is really bothering me, so I have the brace and will sleep in that tonight...:grumble: going to bed now, I am tired, but will be up bright and early as I have to work for my friend tomorrow so will be at work at 7:30 tomorrow...
  • nyaladreamer
    nyaladreamer Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies! Diane in NC. Been away from MFP for a while but jumping back in now. Gained a little bit (about 5 lbs) but mostly have been in maintenance. My October goal is to resume my weight-lifting (3x a week) and walk 3-4 times a week as well, eat clean, and keep the journal going daily to lose 2lbs a week. Want to lose 25 more lbs to be at college weight.

Just got back from volunteering at the downtown Festival, beautiful weekend here!

Love reading all the posts from everyone-- this looks like a perfect thread for me!

Toodles:happy:
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Good evening on this stormy,rainy night.My October goals are the same as last mos.Just to stay under my calorie goal,go to water aerobics 4 x wk,drink my water & say my prayers I keep doing same things,but really not losing enough to speak of.Some days I feel like trashing the scales,but nope....been there & done that:noway: ......

Love reading about you lucky ladies that make it work. Have a stress test tomorrow.Dr's orders.

Enough complaining.Life is good,family is healthy & the sun is gonna shine tomor :bigsmile:
  • kathyszoo
    kathyszoo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Finally, with DH's help, got my hall closet cleaned out this afternoon. We threw a lot of clutter away and can actually walk into it now! :happy: I'm pleasantly surprised that we are actually getting along at the moment, maybe it made a difference that I didn't have to work at all this weekend. I don't feel stressed anymore about starting school tomorrow, feeling positive.

Meg-The classes I'm taking right now are the dreaded College Algebra and Psychology, which is an online class. Going for an Associates in Criminal Justice but taking it slow, 2 classes every 11 weeks.

Joyce-Feeling your pain!:sad: Hope your tongue feels better soon!

Hope everyone has a relaxing evening! :flowerforyou:

Kathy in chilly IL
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    patceoh, I went through a plateau that lasted about 2 months. Most frustrating time in my life. I just stayed in here with these ladies and I finally got through it. Sometimes the pounds go off easier and sometimes they are glued to me.

I sure hope my tongue feels better tomorrow. It hurts to talk, drink, I was able to eat supper OK. But it takes a whole lot to have trouble with that :laugh: :laugh:

Next week will be a real test. We have an annual street festival here in town. Only the Mardi Gras is the larger one here in the US. We are a German rich heritage here and love to eat, fried German food. You can get two blocks from this festival and your cholesterol starts going up just because of how it smells. I'd say there are 4 blocks, both sides of the street filled with food booths. This year one of the hospitals has worked with them to have a healthier options menu at several booths but I don't know what they are. My usual is a large ham and cheese on a bun, corn on the cob, pronto pup (which is like a corn dog but instead of corn meal is dipped in pancake pix), and then I top the evening off with a Monster ear which is a large very thin pancake mix which is deep fried and then dipped in this huge amount of syrup. It's served to you in a small sack that has one side slit and it just sits and marinates itself in the syrup. And the bees follow you around :laugh: :laugh: But you get the usual bratwurst, brain sandwiches, walking tacos, deep fried Oreos or even 3 Muskateers. Of course then you go to the one block that involves a whole city block around a library that is filled with games of chance, foot long chilli cheese dogs, cotton candy, caramel apples etc. You can't find a parking place, you park blocks away and walk. Are you full yet??? So this is Monday through Saturday . Lord give me strength. That's one good thing my MS has done for me. It's hard for me to go and we usually go only one night.It's the only time you will see people sitting on a curb eating, a man with a suit right beside some one else. You don't care, you just want to eat.

Oh the many closet cleanings sound wonderful. I'm glad it's just the two of us left here.

Joyce, Indiana
  • Kalley1959
    Kalley1959 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Michelle - sounds like you had a great time at your murder mystery, it sounds like so much fun

Meg - I hope you feel better soon, take care of yourself

Joyce - ouch, I hope your tongue feels better soon. :sad:

Sylvia - thanks! I do think of you ladies more of sisters then what I was born with :happy:

Jenn - way to go getting your closet all cleaned out, what a great feeling.

Kathy - you too! congrats on getting a closet cleaned out.

Grandmallie - I'm glad to hear you had a good time at dinner. When do you leave for FL?

patceoh - good luck with the stress test!

I've been battling a migraine all day. I did make it to aquafit this morning but haven't done much since. I can't seem to shake it so I'm off to bed.

Have a great night

:heart: Sandy from ON
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Hi! :flowerforyou:
    Omigosh it's been ages. :blushing:
    I turned 59 today.! :tongue: Glorious gardening day, warm sunshine, we planted our garlic. :heart:
    Summer was incredibly busy with the gardens, canning, work, dogs, car repairs, dental repairs and hubby!
    I finally found the time a couple of weeks ago to create a before & after pic which is more properly named "before and during". Still have a bit to go! Holding steady for the most part, up a few, down a few.
    Wishing you all well, I hope to be able to check in more often!
    2010to2013.jpg
    :smile: jb in Portland
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,969 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:Susan, dairy is great for me and has been a central part of my food plan, but I have no adverse reactions…..I use almond milk along with my whey protein shakes and recently found out that I am consuming too much calcium so I’ve had to make changes in my food plan……our dogs have been boarded at the vet since they were puppies and they love going there….they get lots of attention. Bernie, the cat, goes to a special cat-only boarding place where he has a great time…..the worst thing is that we can’t pick them up on Sunday so we are her without them tonight and tomorrow morning.

:brokenheart: Amanda, I’m sorry to hear that there is more trouble in your life. I know how it feels to be the one who jumps up to help everyone. It’s hard to find balance in that part of one’s life.

:laugh: Robin, I’ve heard you talk about the “dreadmill” for a long time and this weekend when I did most of my walking on the dreadmill instead of outdoors, I now know what you mean.

:brokenheart: :brokenheart: Molly, I am so sorry about your grandpuppy…..our furry children are so special.

:bigsmile: jb, you look awesome in your :during" picture....what a super change

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: We had an awesome weekend…….not having access to a computer was strange and allowed me time to do other things….along with the meetings we went to, we spend time with some great friends, worked out at the hotel fitness center, ate out for dinner and ate the food we brought for breakfast and lunch. We ate at one restaurant that had all sorts of exotic foods with fancy sauces and I ordered a plain grilled chicken breast with sliced tomatoes and sliced cucumbers. I did stray a bit at Olive Garden and ate breadsticks with the all you can eat soup, salad, and breadsticks. We ate at a Thai restaurant twice and asked the waitress to not bring the rice. One night I ate with my friend who has been abstinent on Overeaters Anonymous for 24 years. She was quite exact about what she ordered (extra veggies, extra meat, no rice) and she carries a food scale to weigh the meat and brought cherry tomatoes to add to her meal………she got a container for the meet that exceeded the amount of protein she wanted for her meal. I ordered swimming rama (chicken, spinach, and peanut sauce) and she said that it sounded good but peanuts were not on her eating plan. It was inspiring to eat with her. Her husband is blind and he had just gotten a new guide dog. The new dog was still training so no one could pet her. They also had his recently retired dog who is now a certified therapy dog and they were able to bring both dogs into the restaurant and into all our meetings. It was very cool eating dinner at a restaurant with two big dogs sleeping peacefully under the table.

:heart: :bigsmile: Besides all the fun and busy times with others, we had lots of time together in our beautiful big fancy hotel room with a nice view. Sleeping without the pets was a nice treat.

:bigsmile: Jake and I got up early each morning and went down to the fitness center. I walked on the treadmill and used the weights and the machines. Jake walked on the treadmill. Several times I walked the stairs to our room on the 15th floor. I met my steps goal all four days.

:bigsmile: e got home at 2PM and found an e mail that the peonies were ready to be picked up and the farm would be open til three so we went out and got them and stopped to buy more manure to be able to plant them in the big flower bed tomorrow.

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington

"The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT."

“If it’s important to you then you will find a way, if it’s not you’ll find an excuse.”

1461351h0otf8hco5.gif