help me decide what sport for my son...

Options
_noob_
_noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
I'm trying to be that ridiculously overbearing parent who forces my son (he's 2 months shy of being 3) to pick a sport at an early age and try to make him a pro/D1 prospect (apparently this is all the rage in suburban TX).

The obvious choices for him are baseball, tennis, golf, football and rodeo.

Based on his genetics I'd put him at 6'3"-6'5". Thinking this rules out golf and rodeo. Both his parents have pretty live arms (mom was a fast pitch softball player and I clocked out in the high 80's in HS), so baseball and tennis are totally in play. He's also likely to be very strong and muscular which could easily put him from TE to OL. Though he'll have the arm for it, I'm already giving up on pushing QB for him as he is not a coaches son/relative. He has 2 grandfathers and a cousin who played in the NFL as linemen.

Tennis just seems a little limited with pro potential for me to push that.

What are your thoughts?

Replies

• BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    baseball or lacrosse...

...or synchronized swimming.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Cheerleader
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Sabre fencing. Reach, arm, agility.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    how does height rule out golf?

i would think golf or baseball, because less chance of long-lasting injury. My son is almost 3 as well, and, if you want, I will share his strict, unwavering workout regimen for professional athlete success.

How much can your son bench?
  • V0lver
    V0lver Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    Damn why didnt my dad think of this when i was that old. I could have been somebody :(
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
  • _noob_
    Options

i would think golf or baseball, because less chance of long-lasting injury. My son is almost 3 as well, and, if you want, I will share his strict, unwavering workout regimen for professional athlete success.

he's just doing body weight stuff, but he's already got a 12" vertical and can do a pullup and arm walk across a jungle gym. He's throwing in the low 30's right now as well.
  • JcMey3r
    JcMey3r Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Get him into football or Brazilian jiu jitsu(learns discipline and defend himself from bullies if needs to)
  • gzus7freek
    gzus7freek Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Cheer-leading, Ballet or synchronized swimming
  • KoRnKraZy
    KoRnKraZy Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    MMA
  • _noob_
    Options

I present a tall elite athlete playing golf: (it's not pretty)

175758.gif
  • mikej1978
    mikej1978 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I hope your joking around....
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,051 Member
    Options

he's just doing body weight stuff, but he's already got a 12" vertical and can do a pullup and arm walk across a jungle gym. He's throwing in the low 30's right now as well.

Start working on that curve ball... all those kids in the Dominican come with 5 pitches!

Also do not overlook some HGH with his breakfast...
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Dwarf Tossing.
  • _noob_
    Options

me too...
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking Tae Kwan Do or even volley ball

however you could always go with diving. There's not much money in diving, but I hear that good things can happen for a guy if you're a straight diver who travels with the girls team.
  • Briko3
    Briko3 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Soccer
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    from Cheer Perfection...
    I don’t see anything wrong with living through your child

Don't forget you can red-shirt him for his 1st year of Kindergarten.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    It's nice to know there is finally a parent who is taking responsibility for their kid, and planning for their future. Shoot, kids in my neighborhood do nothin but sit around playing video games and drinking soda pop.
    I second the HGH suggestion. I believe it works best early. Course, Barry Bonds didn't start that stuff until later (as far as we know) and he did OK.
  • carlom18
    carlom18 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    competitive chess or snooker